LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 2

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 2

Post by ay2oh »

Agree and it was probably May and Ford who did the most to keep us up last season(along with the scrum)
A2O
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

ay2oh wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:20 am Agree and it was probably May and Ford who did the most to keep us up last season(along with the scrum)
Mrs G made a similar comment (name checking one of her idols - Boris), and also said BY's days were past!
Having said that, she would've loved a XV of Julian Whites.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

BFG wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:07 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:49 pm
BFG wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:43 pm Wake up Leicester.
May is well worth dangling 250k per year for four years meaning he can remain and play for England until 2023.
He hardly ever gets injured, elastic man.
The rumour is though is that he's on £325k a year and we want him to take a £100k pay cut. By the time the negotiations are complete we may well settle on £250k. A four year contract for a 30 year old winger? Not sure that's a good idea. Two years is the standard length.
May is a well proven robust and very fit player.
If Leicester wish to reduce his annual salary then a good trade off would be to increase the contract length.
It could suit all parties, and could certainly suit Leicester as player continuity is so important.
If they lose May then it'll take another at least a year to settle in, and that's if a new player settles at all.
This is the sort of thing what Leicester have been getting wrong in my opinion.
It's how they lost very good players like Goneva and Betham, not only excellent individual players lost but also playing continuity.
It's a fair point. Give him three years to the next RWC on £250k so that we still make the salary saving but he has job security pretty much until he retires. He could go on from 33 but for a player that relies on pace in his 30s then it's really only one bad knee injury away from gone.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Re Johnny May ; are we better off with him or without ?
We should know the answer by now .You should not make yourselves weaker by potentially making your competitors stronger.
You don't let class slip through your fingers.
One way or another a compromise has to be found to keep him at Welford Road.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

On the flip side, Ben Lam looked good this morning getting s couple of tries for the Hurricanes this morning
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

Let me nail my colours to the flag pole at WR. I want to keep JM, no ifs no butts, I also want to sign Lam. I think that we would have not far off the best back 3 in the league (with TV and Holmes). Nandalo would be a nice addition but not top of my list. If we can also get Morriaty all well and good along with Alemanno I would be on cloud 9. Can it be done inside the cap - probably not so some players would have to go.

Back 3 players to go if all of the above sign
SAP, Olly, or Viljoen
2 of the above

Locks to go if all of the above arrive
Spencer, Wells or Green
1 of the above.

Back row to go if all of the above arrive
Thompson, Boladau
1 of the above

I would hope that would free up enough cap. If not the next in line for me would be YBY. I am not going to repeat my views again on Tuilagi as it seems he is certain to stay on a large salary as a marque player but lets not forget that if we let him go it does free up a marque slot for someone else

I would totally agree with YBY staying on a reduced salary if we can and offer him some coaching role with the academy next year. He has too much knowledge to let go entirely unless he wants to play for longer than next year in which case he must go
Hehehehehehehehe
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Rumour is that Spencer is going anyway, back to Worcester. Boladau was only signed on either a loan or short term contract as cover. Personally, I'd like us to keep him.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I would be very surprised if Lam is coming
Nadolo is more realistic at this time.

SAR will be staying
Olowofela is also staying
Green will also be staying
I also believe Wells is in contract for next season.
Boladau if he is now on a full contract for the season will be cheap as chips (Same as SAR and Olowfela really so not sure the wage would equate).
Thompson again won't be on too much either.

Whilst the club has before released players mid contract it is something that they now want to try and limit and usually means we still have to eat some cap anyway when you released them, so at most really 1 player.

When talking about who should go etc. People need to factor in when contracts are signed for said players, it's not football the transfer market doesn't really exist, so bringing up Manu when talking about next season squad is really pointless.

It's also like saying if those players you mentioned are not enough to free up the cap release Youngs but then you forget that we would then need to sign a scrum half.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Be interesting to see how Hughes does today, wonder if he’ll be offered a contract for next season as Thompstone’s replacement?
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

trendylfj wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:00 am I would totally agree with YBY staying on a reduced salary if we can and offer him some coaching role with the academy next year. He has too much knowledge to let go entirely unless he wants to play for longer than next year in which case he must go
Ben's only 30. He's got years left, he's not going to retire at 31 just before the Lions Tour. He'll be wanting to get more Lions caps and go some way past the ton he's nearly acquired for England. Signing a two year deal on reduced money would be a good move for Tigers and depending on what offers and on what he wants for his future it might be good for Ben. We'll find out soon I guess.

If Ben were to go then our current scrum halfs are very young and we'd need somebody else. Whether could get Ben Spencer on loan for a year to maybe help with that I don't know but I would guess he has some offers and would cost just as much as Ben.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

I'm loving some of these ideas. Let's sign a bunch of stars and release a few journeymen. Moriarty wouldn't cost more than Boladau, would he?!

While we're at it, let's bring in Beauden Barrett as backup fullback and get rid of Worth. I'm sure they'd both command a similar salary.

:smt044

Oh and don't forget to tell Ben Youngs to sod off unless he agrees to retire in one year.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Didn’t Worcester say they weren’t after Spencer? If he keeps playing like he did today I would keep him!
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

The point I was trying to make was that we have been linked with several players who most people would be please if they came - I know that will not happen even if they all said yes please cos we would be over the cap. I was just trying to high light the players I would be happy to see leave the club. I don't know what contracts they all have or how we could release them and I am certainly not saying that they are bad players - just in terms of value for money/appearances they would be on my discard list
Hehehehehehehehe
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

JP14 wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:40 pm Didn’t Worcester say they weren’t after Spencer? If he keeps playing like he did today I would keep him!
Agreed, but he seems to come off injured in more games than the number he finishes.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:55 pm
JP14 wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:40 pm Didn’t Worcester say they weren’t after Spencer? If he keeps playing like he did today I would keep him!
Agreed, but he seems to come off injured in more games than the number he finishes.
He had an excellent game today, infact all the forwards really stood out, especially in the 2nd half, and on today's showing we don't need to sign any backrowers.