Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 2

Post by sam16111986 »

LE18 wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:41 pm
longlivethecrumbie wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:55 pm
JP14 wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:40 pm Didn’t Worcester say they weren’t after Spencer? If he keeps playing like he did today I would keep him!
Agreed, but he seems to come off injured in more games than the number he finishes.
He had an excellent game today, infact all the forwards really stood out, especially in the 2nd half, and on today's showing we don't need to sign any backrowers.
A deal could be done for Spencer I'm sure. Possibly in the same way as Youngs and May, reduced salary.

Whether we need additional backrow options rather depends on whether Kalamafoni and Thompson are/want to be retained. If they were to go they'd need replacing, maybe we could get away without replacing Thompson but Kalamafoni would leave us very short of a big ball carrier. Whilst we have some good young backrowers coming through none of them are a 19 stone Tongan or similar.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

sam16111986 wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:12 pm
longlivethecrumbie wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:55 pm

Agreed, but he seems to come off injured in more games than the number he finishes.
He had an excellent game today, infact all the forwards really stood out, especially in the 2nd half, and on today's showing we don't need to sign any backrowers.
A deal could be done for Spencer I'm sure. Possibly in the same way as Youngs and May, reduced salary.

Whether we need additional backrow options rather depends on whether Kalamafoni and Thompson are/want to be retained. If they were to go they'd need replacing, maybe we could get away without replacing Thompson but Kalamafoni would leave us very short of a big ball carrier. Whilst we have some good young backrowers coming through none of them are a 19 stone Tongan or similar.
We do have Boladau, and there is Green and Batley to consider somewhere.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

trendylfj wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:53 pm The point I was trying to make was that we have been linked with several players who most people would be please if they came - I know that will not happen even if they all said yes please cos we would be over the cap. I was just trying to high light the players I would be happy to see leave the club. I don't know what contracts they all have or how we could release them and I am certainly not saying that they are bad players - just in terms of value for money/appearances they would be on my discard list
Yeah fair enough, I was a bit harsh, apologies.

The players you listed as rumoured to be coming in would all be great additions. A lot of the players you listed as going out I suspect are on very reasonable (low) wages and probably pretty good value for money in that they're 2nd/3rd choice and will not play a lot of rugby for us but need to be in the squad just in case.

Spencer is one that is perhaps not on a small wage, he did very well today but he needs to be far more consistent.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

I’d be surprised if we consider re-signing Boladau for next season unless we need a stop-gap to a Super Rugby signing replacing Kalamafoni. He’s been valuable this season but is even older than Thompson and Kalamafoni, turning 34 in September.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:38 pm I’d be surprised if we consider re-signing Boladau for next season unless we need a stop-gap to a Super Rugby signing replacing Kalamafoni. He’s been valuable this season but is even older than Thompson and Kalamafoni, turning 34 in September.
I was surprised he was that old, but, when he has played he has impressed. With Brexit and possible caps on overseas workers he'd be a decent squad player who can play across the back row. He's certainly not let us down at all this year so far.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

LE18 wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:32 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:12 pm

We do have Boladau, and there is Green and Batley to consider somewhere.
Do we have Boladau because he was a Nottingham player and has played for them this season. We just seem to borrow him when we need him

Green is a lock and under contract for next season.

Batley is on loan from Bristol, his contract is up for renewal but we don't know whether there is anything on the table from Bristol or elsewhere that might be preferable to him. Whilst he has looked promising he's not forcing his way into the team in a way that would indicate he would be a ready replacement for our most played player of the last few seasons.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:50 pm
Hot_Charlie wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:38 pm I’d be surprised if we consider re-signing Boladau for next season unless we need a stop-gap to a Super Rugby signing replacing Kalamafoni. He’s been valuable this season but is even older than Thompson and Kalamafoni, turning 34 in September.
I was surprised he was that old, but, when he has played he has impressed. With Brexit and possible caps on overseas workers he'd be a decent squad player who can play across the back row. He's certainly not let us down at all this year so far.
I agree. Not a long term prospect at all though. Another year perhaps if circumstances dictate.
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

As it stands, he may well become an overseas player. Fijian, currently exempt by Kolpak.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

We need to be keeping hold of Reffell as a priority.
There is still a fair bit of pruning to do in the squad.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

loretta wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:29 am
As it stands, he may well become an overseas player. Fijian, currently exempt by Kolpak.
But isn't he serving in the army? Is imagine on that basis he'd qualify on some sort of residency grounds?
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Spencer played how I feel he should every game, throwing his weight around and bullying the opposition. However, he can be inconsistent and does have his injury issues. Probably a reason why Bath let him go. Feel that if we did sign Alemanno, it would be an upgrade in that area and wouldn’t be surprised if the club did look for more quality in the engine room.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

They interviewed Spencer on radio Leicester and he comes across as a very nice man. Said that he loved it at Tigers and when asked about his future was a bit non-commital and that the decision as to whether he stays was out of his hands.
Think I would sooner keep Spencer than Green . :smt001
A2O
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I don't get why people say would rather keep (Out of contract player) over (In contract player)
Not the same thing.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:25 am I don't get why people say would rather keep (Out of contract player) over (In contract player)
Not the same thing.
I know that RB just saying if it was my choice would keep Spencer :smt003
A2O
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Of last Summers signings imo Green and Viljoen have been the 2 disappointments.
Hopefully Borthwick arrival will help him as he is contracted for next season