LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 2

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 2

Post by sam16111986 »

I think Worth is more suited to 12 personally but that's by the by. I agree we should build up the squad with clubmen. More Matt Smiths less Gonzalo Camachos. The academy production line should help that along nicely.

Then when the squad men we don't need go we can't combine their wages to keep our best and brightest and supplement them with high quality imports.
TigerMac3
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by TigerMac3 »

Wait. A few people mentioning Montoya. Julián Montoya? Have we actually been linked?
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

TigerMac3 wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:55 pm Wait. A few people mentioning Montoya. Julián Montoya? Have we actually been linked?
I think it's a very vague link, but I might be wrong.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Tiglon wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:30 pm
TigerMac3 wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:55 pm Wait. A few people mentioning Montoya. Julián Montoya? Have we actually been linked?
Matias Alemanno was linked after having chats with Jan McGinity. He was linked by the Argentine press as well which tends to be fairly accurate and less 'scatter gun' than the usual silly season media approach to the rumour mill. I think a few people have put together two Argentine locks and thought Montoya would be great throwing to them.

The recent data released by Esportif Intelligence (top player agency) showed hooker to be on average the lowest paid position in the Premiership and Pro 14, the third lowest in the Top 14. Tigers are spending a lot of salary cap on Polota-Nau and Youngs for two players who are past their prime as established internationals.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

ABClub wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:04 am
Tiglon wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:30 pm
Matias Alemanno was linked after having chats with Jan McGinity. He was linked by the Argentine press as well which tends to be fairly accurate and less 'scatter gun' than the usual silly season media approach to the rumour mill. I think a few people have put together two Argentine locks and thought Montoya would be great throwing to them.

The recent data released by Esportif Intelligence (top player agency) showed hooker to be on average the lowest paid position in the Premiership and Pro 14, the third lowest in the Top 14. Tigers are spending a lot of salary cap on Polota-Nau and Youngs for two players who are past their prime as established internationals.
We very much are when you compare us and our three internationals, two on presumably hefty contracts to say Chiefs who have LCD, Yeandle and Taoine or Saints with Haywood, Fish and Van Vuuren.

If we were to lose Youngs, TPN and Stevens this summer and pick up a good squad hooker ala Woolstencroft, who presumably won't be staying at Sarries now, alongside a first team option. Then we'd have A N Other, Kerr, Woolstencroft, Clare as the options for next season with a cap saving as well. Logical spending on the A N Other permitting obviously.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Zach Henry with a good game for Nevers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A79fy_FubFc
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I think he will be a good signing.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

However fellow posters I don’t think Malins is a realistic target, I don’t think we have the cap space especially if we want players like Alemanno (won’t be too much but still), Lam and Singleton whilst still retaining the bulk of this year’s squad then our additions list will be small this year. Malins probably isn’t on massive money at Sarries but will want gametime which we can give him at fullback but I just can’t see it happening.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Louis

Post by Louis »

It's Inigo Montoya...

...he should be really handy...
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

JP14 wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:42 pm However fellow posters I don’t think Malins is a realistic target, I don’t think we have the cap space especially if we want players like Alemanno (won’t be too much but still), Lam and Singleton whilst still retaining the bulk of this year’s squad then our additions list will be small this year. Malins probably isn’t on massive money at Sarries but will want gametime which we can give him at fullback but I just can’t see it happening.
I mainly can't see it as Malins seem to want to play fly-half. If he was coming in as a fullback then cap wise it would probably require Thompstone leaving at the end of his current contract and TV covering wing more.

Thompstone was 28 and regular starter when he last re-signed. If he's looking at a smaller contract maybe Adam can fit in as a squad player. He's one of my favourites in the current squad so it would be sad to see him go but he's no longer a starter. With Olowofela a prospect, Freddie Steward looking ready for senior rugby, then Browning and Gilliland coming through we have talent in the back three as well which is really exciting.

Re Malins there is also the small issue that Exeter are apparently interested and given Sarries mire of their own making Chiefs are probably the most attractive club in the Prem now for a young talent looking to kick onto the next level.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

With regard to the news that Costelow is leaving it is imperative that we keep hold of other players that have come through ie: Steward, Lewis, Olowofela, Heyes etc. The club has invested in their futures and it is nice to see that returned with loyalty (OK, I know loyalty doesn't pay the bills :smt003 ).
There have been several years gone by that we have seen next to no lads coming through and it has cost us dearly in terms of the 'Tigers spirit'!
Flash

Post by Flash »

ABClub wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:12 pm Re Malins there is also the small issue that Exeter are apparently interested and given Sarries mire of their own making Chiefs are probably the most attractive club in the Prem now for a young talent looking to kick onto the next level.
Especially for a fly half, he would probably fancy his chances at becoming their starting 10.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Flash wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:27 pm
ABClub wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:12 pm Re Malins there is also the small issue that Exeter are apparently interested and given Sarries mire of their own making Chiefs are probably the most attractive club in the Prem now for a young talent looking to kick onto the next level.
Especially for a fly half, he would probably fancy his chances at becoming their starting 10.
Malins vs Simmonds would certainly be an interesting battle for the 10 shirt.

I've always been impressed by Joe Simmonds when I see him play. He controls the game very well for a young 10. Displacing Steenson from the Chiefs 10 shirt at only 22-years old isn't bad going either. Steenson isn't a world beater but he knows the Chiefs game inside out and executes it very well.
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

Anyone seen the Facebook rumours that Nadolo has been spotted at Welford Road today?
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Not seen that but have seen something in the French press about him going to Sale:

Dans son édition du jour, le Midi Olympique nous informe que Nemani Nadolo ne rejoindra pas les Tigers de Leicester comme pressenti un moment, mais une autre formation Anglaise : celle de Sale.

Translates something along the lines of:

In its edition of the day, the Olympic Midi informs us that Nemani Nadolo will not join the Leicester Tigers as expected at the moment, but another English team: Sale.

http://www.quinzemondial.com/top-14/mon ... ute-208381
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!