LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 2

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 2

Post by CitizenSmiff »

The May pay cut thing sticks in my craw, we talk about loyalty a lot but ask a man who's only ever given his all to sacrifice some of his livelihood in a short career because he's such a shoe-in internationally. We'll spend that 100k on squad players who end up with about 3 starts each before leaving for Coventry.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I mean what does loyalty have to factor for a player on his first and so far only contract with us?

And that 100k might be the difference between signing a good club player and a international quality player (potentially without the international games away)
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Juggling the cap is a very tricky procedure taking into account international call ups, injuries etc. Whilst most of us would like 15 international players this is just not possible and it is undoubtedly not going to get any easier as the number of international games increases.
However, prolific try scorers are not easy to come by so my only hope is that if Johnny May does leave that we have a replacement of similar quality who is with us for the whole season.
It is ok prioritising the pack but without quality backs you will not win the games against high quality opposition . :smt003
A2O
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Wake up Leicester.
May is well worth dangling 250k per year for four years meaning he can remain and play for England until 2023.
He hardly ever gets injured, elastic man.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I think people are looking at this from a too narrow viewpoint, yes May is a good player but we need the money elsewhere to give the quality ball to him.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Flash

Post by Flash »

JP14 wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:06 pm I think people are looking at this from a too narrow viewpoint, yes May is a good player but we need the money elsewhere to give the quality ball to him.
He'd still be able score a try with that amount of room :smt023
WildGoose
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by WildGoose »

Taking the past 12-18 months into consideration, May is practically the first name on the England teamsheet and surely the only player at Tigers who would be in contention for a World XV spot. No way should we countenance losing him - he gets through a LOT of work for us, at one point we were even dragging him into centre field for every crash ball!
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

JP14 wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:06 pm I think people are looking at this from a too narrow viewpoint, yes May is a good player but we need the money elsewhere to give the quality ball to him.
So we let him go so we can afford to put the money elsewhere to then give him quality ball so he can still score for us whilst he is playing for Newcastle. Is this what is meant by being dual registered? 😂😂
As Good As It Gets
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

BFG wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:43 pm Wake up Leicester.
May is well worth dangling 250k per year for four years meaning he can remain and play for England until 2023.
The rumour is though is that he's on £325k a year and we want him to take a £100k pay cut. By the time the negotiations are complete we may well settle on £250k. A four year contract for a 30 year old winger? Not sure that's a good idea. Two years is the standard length.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

WildGoose wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:20 pm Taking the past 12-18 months into consideration, May is practically the first name on the England teamsheet and surely the only player at Tigers who would be in contention for a World XV spot. No way should we countenance losing him - he gets through a LOT of work for us, at one point we were even dragging him into centre field for every crash ball!
if you could get Lam for the money we have reportedly offered May to stay then it would be a better deal than paying May more than we have offered, especially as Lam would be here all season, I'd be sad to see Jonny leave but he is often not of much use as we simply don't have the platform for him to be
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

sam16111986 wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:49 pm
BFG wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:43 pm Wake up Leicester.
The rumour is though is that he's on £325k a year and we want him to take a £100k pay cut. By the time the negotiations are complete we may well settle on £250k. A four year contract for a 30 year old winger? Not sure that's a good idea. Two years is the standard length.
May is a well proven robust and very fit player.
If Leicester wish to reduce his annual salary then a good trade off would be to increase the contract length.
It could suit all parties, and could certainly suit Leicester as player continuity is so important.
If they lose May then it'll take another at least a year to settle in, and that's if a new player settles at all.
This is the sort of thing what Leicester have been getting wrong in my opinion.
It's how they lost very good players like Goneva and Betham, not only excellent individual players lost but also playing continuity.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Scuttle wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:45 pm
So we let him go so we can afford to put the money elsewhere to then give him quality ball so he can still score for us whilst he is playing for Newcastle. Is this what is meant by being dual registered? 😂😂
I was talking about him taking the paycut?
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

JP14 wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:09 pm
Scuttle wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:45 pm
I was talking about him taking the paycut?
Are you asking or telling us? :smt002
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

The question mark was an intonation.
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

The irony is that on form, May is probably the last player for whom a pay cut would be deemed reasonable. He's played out of his skin for nearly two years straight.