Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 2

Post by kpj tiger »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:18 am
Knightonian wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:32 am Isn’t it time for some 🍿

Maybe just maybe

https://twitter.com/nemani_nadolo/statu ... 37730?s=20

Either that or Nadolo been doing some top class trolling
I was just thinking how it would be some amazing trolling if he announced he'd signed a new contract with Montpelier
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

I know rumours have said we’re looking at Singleton, any chance we could try Ben Earl too from Saracens with a double raid. He would be great at 8, such explosive power.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:52 am I know rumours have said we’re looking at Singleton, any chance we could try Ben Earl too from Saracens with a double raid. He would be great at 8, such explosive power.
There have been some loose rumours of us looking at him. I suspect we, and a lot of other clubs, are discussing things with various agents of Sarries players trying to see who is available at what cost. Singleton and Earl would be two excellent long term additions.

6. Liebenburg, Lewis, Lavin
7. Taufua, Reffell, Gough
8. Earl, Thompson, Kalamafoni, Smith

Would be a good set of options. Unsure on whether Kalamafoni and Thompson are staying. If they both go then you'd assume we'd be trying to keep the numbers in the backrow similar so might see Boladau return or someone else join as well.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Nadalo would be the most serious of trollers if he doesn't sign for us! If that is the case I won't be too disheartened, Twitter sometimes should be taken less seriously sometimes. Plus it could mean we get Lam instead...
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Two snippets from 'The Rugby Paper ' today, both surfaced here in one form or another times past .
Firstly the Welsh regions have earmarked both Joe Thomas (Dragons or Scarlets) and Tom Reffell (Ospreys) for return tickets 'home'..
Secondly , Leicester have proposed to Ben Youngs a contract which amounts to him agreeing a "six figure" pay reduction to remain at Welford Road ; talks supposedly to continue although an offer from Toulouse has been tabled also.

As always make of things what you will.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I don't trust the welsh side of the rugby papers rumours.
They linked Joe Heyes to Cardiff, even though Heyes has no desire to play for Wales.
Joe Thomas rumour does have legs.
But not sure on the Reffell rumour though. Would be disappointing if he goes, especially since the regions are not suffering for open-sides, I know we have Gough, Eveleigh and Kit Smith coming through the academy but would mean having to sign another openside to replace him.

I guess depends on what other back rowers are off.
Kalamafoni
Thompson
Reffell

Would mean signing at least 2 players

Youngs part is just repeating what the mail said though.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Take the offer from Toulouse, Ben, if you play well enough at Champions Cup level there’s a good enough chance Gatland will still select you for the Lions and you would have got 100 caps for England by the end of the season one can safely assume, unlikely you will make the World Cup so what more can you achieve from staying at Leicester.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Agree JP,go and top up your pension Ben you deserve it!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Translation

Please go Youngs as I don't want you here next season, but want to sound nice about it :smt023
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

I can see why Youngs would want to stay, he may not really earn all that much in France due to England bonuses and the lifestyle of playing in France definitely is not for everybody
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Spot on RB 👍
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

One would presume YBY would ask Toby Flood about Toulouse

Thought Reffell had signed a contract not that long ago..Tipric in exchange?
To win is not as important as playing with style!
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

kpj tiger wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:47 pm I can see why Youngs would want to stay, he may not really earn all that much in France due to England bonuses and the lifestyle of playing in France definitely is not for everybody
Given there's been jokes about him not being the quickest intellectually he might not want or feel comfortable with learning French. There's that and he is very close to his family and might not want to be in another country.

That's before he's considered the logistics of the move and the impact on his other half etc.

I think Benny will sign on to a smaller contract, Tigers is his club and his performances have never shown a lack of desire just a distinct lack of form. Hopefully with Borthwick coming in our pack will get a boost and Youngs will have more of an armchair ride. If not Ben White is improving all the time and Simmonds has recovered from his injuries.
WildGoose
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by WildGoose »

I know he gets some stick on here but he's a massive part of the Club, as are the whole clan. I don't think you can underestimate that as a value add. However, cost-wise it's hard to justify paying him full whack (especially as he's still pulling £25k for every England game - and much as he was poor in Paris, I can't see EJ jettisoning him any time soon).

Fingers crossed he take a reduced deal, finds his zeal again (more likely with some high quality younger players coming through, who he could also be a big part of developing) and eventually, we'll see more of him for us and inevitably less for England.

I feel like he's got a shot at the Lions if he times a run of form right. Would be great as a midweek starter.

sam16111986 wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:45 pm
kpj tiger wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:47 pm I can see why Youngs would want to stay, he may not really earn all that much in France due to England bonuses and the lifestyle of playing in France definitely is not for everybody
Given there's been jokes about him not being the quickest intellectually he might not want or feel comfortable with learning French. There's that and he is very close to his family and might not want to be in another country.

That's before he's considered the logistics of the move and the impact on his other half etc.

I think Benny will sign on to a smaller contract, Tigers is his club and his performances have never shown a lack of desire just a distinct lack of form. Hopefully with Borthwick coming in our pack will get a boost and Youngs will have more of an armchair ride. If not Ben White is improving all the time and Simmonds has recovered from his injuries.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

So Cortes signs for Glasgow (immediate effect)
Tigers sign Chalire Capps form Glasgow on short term loan

https://www.leicestertigers.com/news/wa ... rs-on-loan