LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 2

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Lammy

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 2

Post by Lammy »

Also two U20 Argentinians on the bench tonight from Ampthill. Be interesting to see how they get on.
Jacko27

Post by Jacko27 »

To be honest, I hadn't heard of Joe Batley before today but I am rather puzzled by the loan deal. He's described as a utility forward but are we that short of locks and back rowers at the moment? Apart from Wells & Liebenberg are there more suspended/injured forwards that we have heard or not heard about? Another slight concern is that he is still contracted to a Premier Club rival (Bristol) and could be recalled at any time, so there is a risk that training ground routines/line out calls could be communicated to that rival club - who we happen to be playing fairly soon. Now he may be an entirely honest and ethical young man and scoffers will say that Pat Lam & Bristol would have nil interest in our training routines but, in my opinion, it still seems a rather odd appointment at this stage of the season.

Of course if he turned out to be another Ed Slater, I'd be jumping for joy!
Last edited by Jacko27 on Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
happywomble

Post by happywomble »

Wells was suspended for two games so should be available vs Exeter?
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Jacko27 wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:22 pm To be honest, I hadn't heard of Joe Batley before today but I am rather puzzled by the loan deal. He's described as a utility forward but are we that short of locks and back rowers at the moment? Apart from Wells & Liebenberg are there more suspended/injured forwards that we have heard or not heard about? Another slight concern is that he is still contracted to a Premier Club rival (Bristol) and could be recalled at any time, so there is a risk that training ground routines/line out calls could be communicated to that rival club - who we happen to be playing fairly soon. Now he may be an entirely honest and ethical young man and scoffers will say that Pat Lam & Bristol would have nil interest in our training routines but, in my opinion, it still seems a rather odd appointment at this stage of the season.

Could be someone we were looking to pick up next summer who's agent has been told he's not in Bristol's plans and so can go out on loan. We've got him in on loan now as we could do with a little extra cover and if he works out he'll join full time in the summer. Sounds ideal to me.

Kalamafoni is out of contract in the summer and isn't getting any younger. We also need to make room in the salary cap and this lad would be cheap...
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

Jacko27 wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:22 pm To be honest, I hadn't heard of Joe Batley before today but I am rather puzzled by the loan deal. He's described as a utility forward but are we that short of locks and back rowers at the moment? Apart from Wells & Liebenberg are there more suspended/injured forwards that we have heard or not heard about? Another slight concern is that he is still contracted to a Premier Club rival (Bristol) and could be recalled at any time, so there is a risk that training ground routines/line out calls could be communicated to that rival club - who we happen to be playing fairly soon. Now he may be an entirely honest and ethical young man and scoffers will say that Pat Lam & Bristol would have nil interest in our training routines but, in my opinion, it still seems a rather odd appointment at this stage of the season.

Players move between clubs constantly and I doubt everybody switches up their entire system in between seasons, there's a certain professional etiquette involved. Remember the trouble the Arscott brothers got into when their respective clubs reported them for telling tales out of school.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

We have lineout calls? :smt046
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Possibly cover for Boladau returning to Nottingham as well. Boladau was on a short term loan to cover the RWC so that will be about to run out presumably.

Batley covering lock, 6 and 8 with Cam Jordan (lock) and Henri Lavin (7) coming up from the development squad would give us some cost effective but talented squad players for next season.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

JP14 wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:29 pm We have lineout calls? :smt046
genuine question with the amount of Ex Tigers forwards around in the prem when did our Lineout calls get changed?
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

If you notice our line out calls are now only given after a closed circle forward discussion and then a nominated individual whispers it into the ear of our hooker.

That way the opposition is unaware of our line out call
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

sapajo wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:54 pm If you notice our line out calls are now only given after a closed circle forward discussion and then a nominated individual whispers it into the ear of our hooker.

yes but ex players would still know all the cues and patterns used, obviously there is only so much that can be changed but it does make you wonder especially as Northampton seemed to know exactly what we were going to do
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Gibson left in ‘15, our calls have changed since then, what’s lacking is execution and accuracy not the call itself.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:58 pm
sapajo wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:54 pm If you notice our line out calls are now only given after a closed circle forward discussion and then a nominated individual whispers it into the ear of our hooker.

yes but ex players would still know all the cues and patterns used, obviously there is only so much that can be changed but it does make you wonder especially as Northampton seemed to know exactly what we were going to do
I doubt Sam Vesty spent much time studying the lineout and Gibson left quite a while ago. Saints lineout ball wasn't great either, just better than ours. We had Charlie Clare to quiz as well.

I do remember Slater in his first game against us after leaving to join Gloucester picking off virtually every lineout.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:58 pm

I would think that by the time the ex-player has spotted the pattern, it's already well under way and too late to re-position his owner lifters etc and jump high enough to compete, if the Tigers throw and jump are accurate and synchronised.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Fijian international winger Patrick Osborne was tagged on Taufua’s Instagram story, am I over-reading into this perhaps?
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

JP14 wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:48 pm Fijian international winger Patrick Osborne was tagged on Taufua’s Instagram story, am I over-reading into this perhaps?
A bit late for an injury dispensation signing but better late than never. On a short term deal it would be a very good signing. At 32 (33 next summer) not sure he'd be worth signing longer term.