Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

kend
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: Leicester vs Saracens

Post by kend »

sam16111986 wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:29 am
G.K wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:40 pm sam16111986 - I appreciate you are trying to pick some good bits from the bones, it is after all the modern way to try and put a positive spin on things. However, the aim of the game is to win, not to gain a few points for artistic merit and Tigers simply aren't good enough to do that. Take our internationals out of the equation and we look like a Chamionship side, which is what we may well be if this continues, it's got progressively worse every season for the last 4/5 seasons now.
I think you have to look at why a team loses. We lost because our half backs failed to put is in the right parts of the pitch and were tactically naive, too often kicking at the wrong times with poor accuracy.

A lot on here are moaning there's no change to last season and there has been a change, certain aspects are working better. We desperately need some flair in attack though, more than 15 phases in their 22 at one point and we didn't look like getting over.
Agree. The set piece went pretty well, so the platform is there. Similarly the defensive structure looked better and, for that matter, more determined. Which, IMHO, is a sign of a side starting to trust their systems. This is a good thing, because (again IMHO), that trust has to be there before the 'flair' can develop?
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

I thought that the introduction of Kalamafoni and Gigena/Leatagiga made a big difference and gave us a lot more go forward.
A2O
northerntiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by northerntiger »

ay2oh wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:36 am I thought that the introduction of Kalamafoni and Gigena/Leatagiga made a big difference and gave us a lot more go forward.
And Harrison too, and Hardwick. Makes you wonder why they didn't start. White was very tentative around the ruck
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

northerntiger wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:51 am
ay2oh wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:36 am I thought that the introduction of Kalamafoni and Gigena/Leatagiga made a big difference and gave us a lot more go forward.
And Harrison too, and Hardwick. Makes you wonder why they didn't start. White was very tentative around the ruck
how much of that is on Reid though, the 10 is the play maker and Reid seemed very unsure of what he was doing at 10 to me, leaving White unsure where he was going with the ball, Harrison delivered quicker ball yes but Hardwick was also far more assertive
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

1.Gigena 2.Kerr 3.Heyes 4.Lavanini 5.Green 6.Kalamafoni 7.Reffell 8.Thompson
9.Harrison 10.Hardwick 11.Holmes 12.Reid 13.Taute 14.Thompstone 15.Veainu

16.TPN 17.Bateman 18.Leatigaga 19.Wells 20.Liebenberg 21.Simmons 22.Olowofela 23.Worth

Taute is training but if he isn't ready for the weekend then I'd like to see Worth in the centres and Viljeon onto the bench.

Against Wasps, Gloucester fielded Ludlow, Kriel and Ackermann with Polledri and Morgan on the bench. Reffell and Thompson will be crucial if we are going to slow down their ball at all.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

Having watched on the tv (due to Tigers new ticketing policy which I strongly disagree with), we were frankly very poor in all departments except the set piece.
We just don't have any serious ball carriers who consistently make ground (Bateman does occasionally), and although we will obviously greatly improve when the cavalry return, the sad thing is we just don't have anything like enough speed and penetration in the backs in particular. Worth, Reid, Hardwick, Thompstone and White are ok, but I'm afraid ok is not good enough for Leicester.
I haven't seen anyone new who excites me yet, whereas other teams seem to find these players, what has happened to our recruitment?
Maybe I just haven't seen enough of the new crop yet, but the first two games were not much different to last year, and again without the cavalry returning, it's hard to see who we could beat in the league (possibly LI).
Soggypitch
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

ABClub wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:58 pm 1.Gigena 2.Kerr 3.Heyes 4.Lavanini 5.Green 6.Kalamafoni 7.Reffell 8.Thompson
9.Harrison 10.Hardwick 11.Holmes 12.Reid 13.Taute 14.Thompstone 15.Veainu

16.TPN 17.Bateman 18.Leatigaga 19.Wells 20.Liebenberg 21.Simmons 22.Olowofela 23.Worth

Taute is training but if he isn't ready for the weekend then I'd like to see Worth in the centres and Viljeon onto the bench.

Against Wasps, Gloucester fielded Ludlow, Kriel and Ackermann with Polledri and Morgan on the bench. Reffell and Thompson will be crucial if we are going to slow down their ball at all.
Yikes that's a scary Glaws back row, Slater isn't too shabby over the ball either.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

kend wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:33 am
sam16111986 wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:29 am
G.K wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:40 pm sam16111986 - I appreciate you are trying to pick some good bits from the bones, it is after all the modern way to try and put a positive spin on things. However, the aim of the game is to win, not to gain a few points for artistic merit and Tigers simply aren't good enough to do that. Take our internationals out of the equation and we look like a Chamionship side, which is what we may well be if this continues, it's got progressively worse every season for the last 4/5 seasons now.
I think you have to look at why a team loses. We lost because our half backs failed to put is in the right parts of the pitch and were tactically naive, too often kicking at the wrong times with poor accuracy.

A lot on here are moaning there's no change to last season and there has been a change, certain aspects are working better. We desperately need some flair in attack though, more than 15 phases in their 22 at one point and we didn't look like getting over.
Agree. The set piece went pretty well, so the platform is there. Similarly the defensive structure looked better and, for that matter, more determined. Which, IMHO, is a sign of a side starting to trust their systems. This is a good thing, because (again IMHO), that trust has to be there before the 'flair' can develop?
As the players become happier and more confident in the attacking patterns it will look more natural and be more effective. I was thinking more individual flair, a little bit of skill like a great step or a pass putting someone through a hole. We just lacked that bit of magic, unsure if it's the players or that they just weren't comfortable to step out of the pattern and make something happen. Reid tried a couple of little kicks but they were not great. Hope to see more imagination and cohesion this weekend.
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

Lets be honest on current form I just hope for a performance that restricts us getting a whollopping.

I should imagine Ackerman is looking for a bonus point win. Most teams in the prem will look at the Tigers fixture and hope for a bonus point W or L. Whether at H or A.

I'm being brutal but I think that is where we are at present. I hope the lads start to prove me and others wrong. :smt022
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

wellstiger wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:11 pm Lets be honest on current form I just hope for a performance that restricts us getting a whollopping.

I should imagine Ackerman is looking for a bonus point win. Most teams in the prem will look at the Tigers fixture and hope for a bonus point W or L. Whether at H or A.

I'm being brutal but I think that is where we are at present. I hope the lads start to prove me and others wrong. :smt022
These performances or lack of could carry on until we get all our England boys back, which maybe December?
God created rugby so footballers have heros too