England in the 6N

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

BFG
Super User
Super User

Re: England in the 6N

Post by BFG »

RichieB wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:22 pm If Bristol have a young highly-rated hooker coming through, perhaps we could have their old one back?
I'd rather be a step ahead and steal the future upgrade!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I agree with BFG, Capon is a good player. Stuart I’m not convinced, personally I’m a bigger fan of Christian Judge.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

JP14 wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:59 pm I agree with BFG, Capon is a good player. Stuart I’m not convinced, personally I’m a bigger fan of Christian Judge.
Christian Judge.
A fair shout.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:54 am Mako, Genge and Obano are three good looseheads, plus we don’t know whether Marler will retire or not.

Loosehead for me is a bigger weakness. Cole will likely retire and therefore we’ve only got Sinckler. Williams has never been great at test level. So we’ve got to hope Heyes and Painter come through and are given a chance.
Think you may have an error there?
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

So based on current form, I’d imagine a squad something like:

1. Vunipola, Genge, Obano
2. George, Cowan-Dickie, Singleton
3. Sinckler, Williams, Stuart
4. Itoje, Launchbury
5. Kruis, Lawes
6. T Curry, Dombrandt
7. Underhill, Earl, Willis
8. Vunipola, Simmonds
9. Spencer, Robson
10. Farrell, Ford
11. May, Daly
12. Tuilagi, Tompkins
13. Slade, Marchant, Joseph
14. Watson, Nowell
15. Furbank, Malins

Assuming Marler and Cole retire from international rugby. Guessing Lawes will try and target the new World Cup.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Cole hasn't made any comments about retirement and given the impact he had on the Exeter scrum on Saturday I would think he would be seen as ahead of Williams (who has had a taste of international rugby but doesn't seem to have made the progress that Jones felt he needed to make the world cup squad).

Sinckler would presumably be the starting prop given his impact in the loose and the preogress in terms of scrummaging he has made.

Loose head may be more of a problem in the short term - can England risk Vunipola given his capitulation against South Africa.
I presume Marler will return to retirement.

A left field option may be to play May at full back - he likes to come in looking for work and has been the best of our backs under the high ball and his kicking isn't too shabby.
Last edited by mol2 on Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Is Obano fit? Launchbury has dropped off somewhat and I think Stooke deserves his long-awaited cap, Ealr will get the call not too sure about Dombrandt.
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

mol2 wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:29 pm Come the end of England’s involvement in the World Cup, assuming Eddie Jones stays in post, I was wondering home many changes will be made come the 6N.

A lot of the players are young but some like Cole, Young’s, Marler and Lawes are probably at the end of their international careers.
Think British Lions v SA 2021 - Lots of reasons not to retire if you are 29/30.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

JP14 wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:20 am Is Obano fit? Launchbury has dropped off somewhat and I think Stooke deserves his long-awaited cap, Ealr will get the call not too sure about Dombrandt.
Dombrandt I thought would be fighting it out with Ludlam for the last backrow spot. Can’t really leave out any of the others on current form.

I’d have Isiekwe over Stooke.
fleabane
Super User
Super User

England squad for 6N

Post by fleabane »

Lots of talk on here about Tigers having to face the 6N without Youngs, Ford, Manu, May and Genge.

Are they likely to be selected?

What newer or untried players catch the eye?
Valhalla I am coming!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I think Ludlam is a new favourite of Eddie though, perhaps a flyhalf might get some game time either Smith or Grayson.
nasher

Post by nasher »

A prophecy. Tigers will play better when the “old boys” are away with England.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Maybe Nasher, depends on the fitness of Taute as to whether we will miss Manu, Heyes and Leatigaga have deputised quite well and as previously stated there’s a chance we might have Cole, hopefully Simmons can break into the starting jersey, Hardwick is now a very capable understudy.
No6_Flanker
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by No6_Flanker »

What options do England have at 12?

Tuilagi plays much better at 13 and I’m unconvinced by Farrell at 12 because of his lack of running game.

Ollie Devoto looked quite physical against us last weekend, as did Sam Hill. Ryan Mills from Worcester is possibly worth a look in the training squad too.

Off the top of my head, those are the only players that could step up to international level as they’re not fresh out of the age-grade set up, without having nailed down a Premiership starting jersey.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I think Furbank might get called up, at least I want him to.