England in the 6N

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Re: England in the 6N

Post by sam16111986 »

Mark62 wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:48 pm IMHO Spencer is the future and needs to be given a run of games, but who’s behind him. Like the look of the lad that went from Gloucester to Wasps, sorry forgot his name, to got injured in the 7s then after that there is Chudley, Maunder and Taylor.
So I can see Youngs being retained to be Spencer’s back up for this season at least
Vellacott? He's also Scottish qualified.

Chudley is 31 and so older than Ben. Mitchell at Saints might get a look in but there's not any outstanding young 9 candidates past Spencer at the moment. Robson isn't having the best of times at Wasps but given their pack isn't the best that's not necessarily a surprise.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Thanks Sam yes Vellacott
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Mark62 wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:48 pm I think Tigers for England is very difficult to predict, particularly as jones tends to name an initial 32 man squad and the cut to around 25 as game day approaches.
Ford and May are nailed on, as is Manu if fit due to Slades injury.
Genge should be there but a lot will depend on Marler, I think Jones still looks at Vunipola as his first choice.
Cole has outplayed both Sinclair and Williams in the past month, and is definitely trying to change his game, but he will be 33 in May, Jones may feel it is time to look at Stewart or others in the squad.
Youngs again, many have commented he had played his best tigers game for a while against Bristol. Jones has not picked Care or Robson for some time and I can’t see him changing. Heinz is playing well enough for Gloucester to keep Simpson out, and is older than Youngs.
IMHO Spencer is the future and needs to be given a run of games, but who’s behind him. Like the look of the lad that went from Gloucester to Wasps, sorry forgot his name, to got injured in the 7s then after that there is Chudley, Maunder and Taylor.
So I can see Youngs being retained to be Spencer’s back up for this season at least
I would mostly agree with that. I think scrum half is wide open though. Spencer is 27 though and isn't likely to get much better - if Jones thought he was good enough he wouldn't have picked Heinz ahead of him. He may use Spencer as a stop gap, alongside Youngs, but I can see him experimenting with a few of the younger guys to try and find his long term options. If any of the youngsters can get a run of games in the Premiership and put in a string of good performances I think the 9 jersey is there for the taking.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

With there only being 7 backrow spots available, wonder how Jones will fit in the young talent coming up. Ted Hill, Jack Willis, Ben Earl, Ben Curry, Alex Dombrandt. Wonder who will make the cut and who won’t.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:05 pm With there only being 7 backrow spots available, wonder how Jones will fit in the young talent coming up. Ted Hill, Jack Willis, Ben Earl, Ben Curry, Alex Dombrandt. Wonder who will make the cut and who won’t.
You would expect Tom Curry, Ludlum, Underhill and Billy to still be included, with just Wilson from the WC squad cast aside.

That leaves 3 places if it is to be only 7 in total. Jones might want to use these to either add variety or test some youngsters - perhaps both. All of those you mentioned above will probbaly get a chance over the next year or 2 if they keep playing well. My prediction is Dombrandt, Earl and Hill make it into the 6N squad but it will be tough for any of them to break in. Dombrandt might be most likely to get game time because we need a backup plan at number 8.
No6_Flanker
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by No6_Flanker »

Tiglon wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:04 pm
You would expect Tom Curry, Ludlum, Underhill and Billy to still be included, with just Wilson from the WC squad cast aside.

That leaves 3 places if it is to be only 7 in total. Jones might want to use these to either add variety or test some youngsters - perhaps both. All of those you mentioned above will probbaly get a chance over the next year or 2 if they keep playing well. My prediction is Dombrandt, Earl and Hill make it into the 6N squad but it will be tough for any of them to break in. Dombrandt might be most likely to get game time because we need a backup plan at number 8.
I’m not sure if Ludlam will be there. He filled the role of no 27 in the WC squad, but as far as I’ve heard hasn’t been tearing it up for Saints since. Is he a better 7 than Curry or Underhill? Probably not. Is he better than 6 than Hill or Willis? Again, probably not.

Dombrandt to back up Billy, despite not playing for a couple of weeks for Quins. Earl as a wildcard as he has been in the squads before and is in a rich vein of form.

Like scrum half, can you argue that we’re suffering from non EQPs starting at 8 for the Premiership clubs?
Cheering on the Tigers in Detroit.
Previously a slower, shorter, less good looking version of Tom Croft.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

I’m reading on social media that Jones is considering training the other Curry twin up as a 9.
Wasn’t April 1st last time I looked
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

No6_Flanker wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:26 pm
I’m not sure if Ludlam will be there. He filled the role of no 27 in the WC squad, but as far as I’ve heard hasn’t been tearing it up for Saints since. Is he a better 7 than Curry or Underhill? Probably not. Is he better than 6 than Hill or Willis? Again, probably not.

Dombrandt to back up Billy, despite not playing for a couple of weeks for Quins. Earl as a wildcard as he has been in the squads before and is in a rich vein of form.

Like scrum half, can you argue that we’re suffering from non EQPs starting at 8 for the Premiership clubs?
I think Eddie likes Ludlum as an impact player, he brings a lot of energy and has played well for Saints this season when I've watched them. He's done well for England when given the opportunity and that counts as well. I forgot Simmonds at 8 as well, might get a chance.

Yes 8 and 9 are suffering from lack of EQP in those positions starting in the Premiership, but it's hard to argue that many of them have played well enough (when given the opportunity) to earn the right to be number ones at their clubs. This should have been the season for Vellacott to establish himself, but he's been out with a torn calf muscle.
Mark62 wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:29 pm I’m reading on social media that Jones is considering training the other Curry twin up as a 9.
Wasn’t April 1st last time I looked
I've read that too, but it won't happen, he's too far along with his career at flanker.
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

Eddie does like to have his fun doesn't he. I'd like to see it just for curiosity's sake, a 9 built like he could run through brick walls, but I can't see it catching on.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

CitizenSmiff wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:22 pm Eddie does like to have his fun doesn't he. I'd like to see it just for curiosity's sake, a 9 built like he could run through brick walls, but I can't see it catching on.
Probably before many posters time but there was a Welsh 9 called Terry Holmes who did exactly that
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

CitizenSmiff wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:22 pm Eddie does like to have his fun doesn't he. I'd like to see it just for curiosity's sake, a 9 built like he could run through brick walls, but I can't see it catching on.
Didn't the Italians try a flanker at scrum half? Or was it 10? He was one of two brothers? Bergamasco?
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Big Dai wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:19 pm
Didn't the Italians try a flanker at scrum half? Or was it 10? He was one of two brothers? Bergamasco?
Yes played scrum half at Twickenham Maro Bergamasco , didn’t go well
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Mark62 wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:37 pm
Big Dai wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:19 pm
Yes played scrum half at Twickenham Maro Bergamasco , didn’t go well
Yeah..... Recall it didn't end well!
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Mark62 wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:33 pm
Probably before many posters time but there was a Welsh 9 called Terry Holmes who did exactly that
6'+ - took over from Gareth Edwards - never needed the 8 to pick up from a 5 yard scrum!
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

strawclearer wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:46 pm
Mark62 wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:33 pm
6'+ - took over from Gareth Edwards - never needed the 8 to pick up from a 5 yard scrum!
Dewi Morris (was that toot or ploot) was more of an 8 and a half than a nine?