England in the 6N

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

fleabane
Super User
Super User

Re: England in the 6N

Post by fleabane »

LE18. It shows that Tigers have talented players, but poor coaching .
Valhalla I am coming!
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

Why is Manu still with the England squad?

Surely Tigers would be better placed to look after his rehab?
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

drc_007 wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:38 am Why is Manu still with the England squad?

It's an English rugby tradition- wear funny blazers, sing Swing Low and make sure Manu gets as few minutes as possible for his club.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

CitizenSmiff wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:00 pm
drc_007 wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:38 am Why is Manu still with the England squad?

It's an English rugby tradition- wear funny blazers, sing Swing Low and make sure Manu gets as few minutes as possible for his club.
Would be funny if it wasn't actually true :smt023
RichieB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by RichieB »

Apparently Manu's latest groin injury is different to the groin injury he had a few weeks ago. Hoped to be 'fit' for the Ireland game.
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

They are talking on one hand about Manu playing v Ireland, on the other its rumoured thats it for the season. Either which way, sell him.
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

fortysix wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:18 pm Either which way, sell him.
We can't. We don't "own" him, he's an employee.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
Dr H Flashman MBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dr H Flashman MBE »

It is an interesting point about selling Manu. I am in the don’t sell him camp!!
However, if we sell him and he stops being selected for England, I would think his injury issues will probably ease off and that club will have a good lot of games out of him. Sell him and he staying playing for England, well this will continue. Also, which club in England would be willing to take the risk...one of the worlds best and most destructive centres when not injured but has a serious injury history...
There is never any points for 2nd place...
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Dr H Flashman MBE wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:01 am It is an interesting point about selling Manu. I am in the don’t sell him camp!!
However, if we sell him and he stops being selected for England, I would think his injury issues will probably ease off and that club will have a good lot of games out of him. Sell him and he staying playing for England, well this will continue. Also, which club in England would be willing to take the risk...one of the worlds best and most destructive centres when not injured but has a serious injury history...
Manu gets a lot of grief over his injuries but injuries are nothing new to hard running centres.
My sons favourite player Dan Hipkiss was no stranger to injuries.
Brad Barritt must surely have a special discount with Screwfix.
There is often an over relience on these guys and especially on Manu by England.
In my opinion you look after them and develop your depth behind them and retain plan A to unleash them in the really need to matches.
Last edited by BFG on Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dr H Flashman MBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dr H Flashman MBE »

BFG wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:58 am
Dr H Flashman MBE wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:01 am It is an interesting point about selling Manu. I am in the don’t sell him camp!!
Manu gets a lot of grief over his injuries but injuries are nothing new to hard running centres.
There is often an over relience on these guys and especially on Manu by England.
In my opinion you look after them and develop your depth behind them and retain plan A to unleash them in the really need to matches.
I think that is the main issue for both Tigers and England..when Manu is injured there appears to be no plan B. It’s almost as if it’s a shock and what do we do now. Tigers should have adapted to this a long time ago as we know Manu is going to be with England for periods of the year.
There is never any points for 2nd place...
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Dr H Flashman MBE wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:16 am
BFG wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:58 am
I think that is the main issue for both Tigers and England..when Manu is injured there appears to be no plan B. It’s almost as if it’s a shock and what do we do now. Tigers should have adapted to this a long time ago as we know Manu is going to be with England for periods of the year.
Yes agree.
Develop a plan B and retain plan A.
I think if you've got a player of Manu's ability then you do retain that plan A.
I remember the 2010 final, after injury that season Hipkiss came on and nearly had his head taken off on a line and somehow managed to stay up and break through to score.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Why is it that some people on this messageboard so obviously regular rugby fans cannot get their heads round the fact that unlike soccer there is only a very small transfer market in rugby. Our players are contracted for a period of time, at the end of that period they are free to move on or accept a new offer if made. Selling players is not usually an option, selling injured players is not only morally wrong it is likely to be impossible. Manu has had a bad time with injury in the past but last season and so far this his time out with injury is probably normal for a Premiership centre.
I believe that our difficulties over recent seasons stem from when both Manu & Anthony Allen became injured, our back-up at the time, Bai, Hepetema, Catchpole. Roberts, Loamanu and Matt Smith all had injury problems and regrettably Twelvetrees decided to move on. There is a problem signing quality ambitious players who know that they will be benched or left out as soon as the "star" is available but with recent signings and the development of some of our promising youngsters we are in a better place than we were. The chopping and changing of coaches has not been helpful but I feel that there are signs that when we are able to put out a side resembling our first team we actually look as if we are on the way back. I agree there is still a long way to go but we will not get achieve our aims by losing our best players without an equal or better quality replacement.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Much as I am a ctritic of Murphy his policy of giving younger players an opportunity is refreshing after the Cockers and O'Connor years where we lost promising youngsters because they didn't feel they would get a chance of establishing themselves.
dpoc74
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by dpoc74 »

It looks like Young’s (and others) have been dropped.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/51397730
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

Combination of a kick up the backside and a 6 day turnaround, I suspect.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….