Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Mark62
Super User
Super User

Re: England in the 6N

Post by Mark62 »

Chobbsy wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:24 pm
Robespierre wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:57 pm I watch Premiership rugby from time to time on the net and I can't understand why both Simmonds brothers haven't been included!
Surely fly half Jo must be further up the pecking order than Umaga (of whom I admit I've seen little of), and the omission of Sam beggars belief as loads of us thought he was a shoo-in at number 8!
Eddie must've been smoking a bit too much of something or other.
Is Umaga in to stop him playing for another nation?

for Sam Simmons should be a shoe in and I would also consider Joe without a doubt
Not sure who else he would qualify for, other than New Zealand and it wouldn’t stop any other nation unless he was capped, and he is a way behind Farrell and Ford at present.
One thing in Umagas favour is that he can cover 10, 12, and at a push 13
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

I'd pick Earl ahead of Simmonds.
I'd also pick Umaga, Grayson and Hardwick ahead of the other Simmonds.
Jonny Hill is the unfortunate one in my opinion but then there is a lot of quality about.
Kruis was very impressive yesterday.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I agree Jonny Hill a much better lock than Moon!
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

JP14 wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:56 pm I agree Jonny Hill a much better lock than Moon!
Yeah and neither are international class. Both are premiership standard locks and nothing more than that. Ewels now has 10 caps and is firmly 5th choice lock. Surprised not to see Kpoku as he could be something special.

Surprised not to see Dombrandt in place for one of the locks. S Simmonds I don’t think has what it takes to be a true test animal.

Always thought Umaga had massive talent and probably a higher potential ceiling than Grayson or J Simmonds. Also see him as a 12 in the long run which is a weak area for England.

Dingwall has done nothing to merit his selection. Same as Moon. Lawrence has been tearing up trees at 13 so should have got a place. Him and Marchant are the future.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:27 pm
JP14 wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:56 pm I agree Jonny Hill a much better lock than Moon!
Yeah and neither are international class. Both are premiership standard locks and nothing more than that. Ewels now has 10 caps and is firmly 5th choice lock. Surprised not to see Kpoku as he could be something special.

Surprised not to see Dombrandt in place for one of the locks. S Simmonds I don’t think has what it takes to be a true test animal.

Always thought Umaga had massive talent and probably a higher potential ceiling than Grayson or J Simmonds. Also see him as a 12 in the long run which is a weak area for England.

Dingwall has done nothing to merit his selection. Same as Moon. Lawrence has been tearing up trees at 13 so should have got a place. Him and Marchant are the future.
Dingwall had a good breakthrough last season and has looked good when given game time this season. Leads the defence well, runs good lines. Developed well he could be the English Conrad Smith. Excellent young player.

Has Lawrence been tearing up trees? I can't remember seeing anything about him breaking into the Worcester first team. He's one hell of a unit so he should be quite a player in time.

Moon has got a go because he's a big lump in half decent form. I'm not convinced he's international standard but Jones obviously thinks he can develop him on. Kpoku's time will come.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Dingwall has been playing better than Lawrence IMO.

Lawrence has better highs, but Dingwall is consistent.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

The Championship player appears to have largely gone under the radar of many given the situation!
There is a message nicely slotted in there by Mr Jones!
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Now being reported Jack Nowell requires ankle surgery. Thought it was a strange omission
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I remember Umaga playing for the U20s but being second choice, he’s been at Wasps for four seasons or more so has took his time to start showing signs of the class he reputedly has. Perhaps Jones sees him as a 12?
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Both Nowell and Billy V not considered due to injury.

Have to say I hope Genge will get some game time as he's the best performing loose head in the league and high time EJ recognised that.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

JP14 wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:53 am I remember Umaga playing for the U20s but being second choice, he’s been at Wasps for four seasons or more so has took his time to start showing signs of the class he reputedly has. Perhaps Jones sees him as a 12?
Or perhaps it's another case of having the right name.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:27 pm

What attributes does Hill not have that isn't international class in your view LTT, because in mine he has all the tick boxes to make a great England lock?
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

On today’s showing feel bad for Obano. 100% deserves a spot in the squad over Marler. Great work rate in defence with some big hits. Handful too ball in hand. Same when we played them at Twickenham a few seasons ago. Really rate him.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Josh Navidi suffers a hamstring injury - anticipated out for a month - hopes to get back for England game...

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rug ... w-17657280
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

I'm quite surprised that the Critics have not been shouting out "why is Eddie Jones picking so many players from Leicester Tigers, they are bottom of the league (effectively), if he picked players from top of table clubs, England would have won on Sunday?" Would they?
Is it a strange coincidence that England were so poor, a refection of Tigers form? Ummm, makes you wonder! :smt017