1 Mako Vunipola
2 Jamie George
3 Kyle Sinckler
4 Maro Itoje
5 Courtney Lawes
6 Tom Curry
7 Sam Underhill
8 Billy Vunipola

Replacements: Luke Cowan-Dickie, Joe Marler, Dan Cole, George Kruis, Lewis Ludlam, Willi Heinz, George Ford, Jonathan Joseph
Valhalla I am coming!
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Ford dropped, England team for Oz

Post by CitizenSmiff »

I'm getting a bit tired of Jones' constant whacky squad rotations, what on earth is the point of playing all those minutes to bed down the 9/10/12 axis combination then binning it all off at crunch time? How many minutes of rugby has Slade even played recently? And if we are going to play musical chairs persisting with Daley at 15 vs Beale and co just seems like suicide. I hope to be proven wrong but i don't like it one bit.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

I guess he's not expecting the Aussies to kick the ball away so Daly's frailty under the high ball may not be exposed. If they do there is a likelihood that May and Watson will hoover much of the high stuff from the wings.

Strange selection as I don't think Lawes should be starting. Great bench option as covers Lock and back row but not good enough to start in either position.

Likewise starting Mako with Marler on the bench. If Mako starts then surely Genge would be better. Marler, like Cole is not an impact sub. So when the starting props start to flag you replace them with the two least dynamic players in the loose in the squad.

Why the obsession with Slade - he's not exactly shone for England when the pressure has been on and now he's hardly had any game time he gets picked! Funny how being out injured seems to enhance many players reputations.
daktari
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by daktari »

How Daly is being selected at 15 is beyond me.
find a better way of life, http://www.marillion.com

marillion 19, coming ....er not sure..
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

George Ford can consider himself very unfortunate not to start.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

He hasn’t been dropped, he’s being utilised as a finisher.

Whether you agree with the tactics or not, people keep saying he’s been dropped are wrong.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

No real reason to pick Farrell at 10 ahead of Ford other than because he is the skipper, and we've seen that mistake of skipper picked before form made before.
I do think that England are doing their best to give the Aussies a proper sniff at a victory.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

daktari wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:29 pm How Daly is being selected at 15 is beyond me.
Most of us tbh..has he ever tackled anyone?
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

anz3001 wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:08 pm He hasn’t been dropped, he’s being utilised as a finisher.

Whether you agree with the tactics or not, people keep saying he’s been dropped are wrong.
Yep. There’s also a match in between where we don’t know what the team selection was.

The Australian back line this weekend isn’t hugely different physically than (for example) the Ireland line up in the 6N. I think - on balance - that this is probably the correct call, with a battle of two stunning passing players once both 22s are on the field.
SuperEagle
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by SuperEagle »

One of the Wallabies' most potent ways of getting on the front foot is Kerevi hitting it up the 10 channel and flipping it to Petaia on his shoulder.

Jones has seen this and is playing Farrell-Tuilagi to counter this threat.

Ford will still have a big role to play come Saturday
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

Love the line “And Dan has no personality”!

https://amp.rugbypass.com/news/dan-cole ... sh-tigers/
Greenwhiteandred
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Greenwhiteandred »

Play to your strengths - I see why EJ has picked his 10/12/13 to counter the Aussies but dropping your best player from the last 3+ tests to counter the threat hands them the psychological advantage especially when Farrell has been bang average in the tournament to date. And I’be said it more than once Daly ain’t no international full back. Not confident at all
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

It’s a good thing in hindsight to not ne overly confident come a quarterfinal, I’m sure the Aussies in ‘07 thought they were going to demolish us.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

By putting Ford Marler Cole and Kruis on the bench it’s almost like he’s expecting us to be up come the last 20 minutes and then they’ll come On and control the game through Fords kicking and set piece pressure.

Don’t get the negative press over Daley, no one better English qualified at present imo
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Getting flashbacks of 2015,MF sorted and Lancaster changes things and we blow it! Got a bad feeling about tomorrow...
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer