Ford dropped, England team for Oz

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Dr H Flashman MBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Ford dropped, England team for Oz

Post by Dr H Flashman MBE »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:00 pm Wraparound move,discuss.
Wraparound if great when it works and rubbish and costly when it goes belly up against the All blacks...
There is never any points for 2nd place...
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

NZ relentless but Ireland have been dreadful!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Dr H Flashman MBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

In a respectful way, they are like a rash. And I am not sure that Ireland have got a antibiotics to deal with it.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

mol2 wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:01 am The ref didn’t have a great game failed to deal with their tight head who conned too many penalties against Sinckler. Might have been better to start Cole who would have made their loose head’s antics more obvious as well as do what he is good at - sapping the life out of the opposition loose head’s legs.
That’s not to say Sinckler didn’t have a good game. But the ref, unusually for a French ref, didn’t control the scrum well.

He did have the strength to dismiss the TMO about the forward pass. How can it not be forward when the player you pass to was a yard in front? How much longer before the laws of rugby reflect that Newton’s laws of motion are the same in both hemispheres?
Isn’t it good to see a ref who has the balls to overrule a TMO!
Semper in excretia
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

strawclearer wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:14 am One match-up defined that game - Jones vs Cheika.

Australia were out-played because they were out-thought and out-coached - hence they're out of the World Cup!

I thought Jones had it wrong but the scoreline doesn't lie!
Respectfully disagree.
It ain't rocket science.
When you go defensive to force mistakes that's fine, but Australia playing out of their own 22 early on was certainly no coaching or tactical masterclass from anyone, it was pure stupidity on Australia's part.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Yes Eddie got his tactics spot on! Some will ever give him credit though sadly
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:36 pm Yes Eddie got his tactics spot on! Some will ever give him credit though sadly
They will though if his team wins next week.
Some might even have to give BY some credit... :smt003
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

When BY has a standout game and runs the show I'll give him plenty of credit 👍
TomWeston
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TomWeston »

Dr H Flashman MBE wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:59 am
TomWeston wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:06 am
Dr H Flashman MBE wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:05 am Great win and great performance. But daly is not a full back. Young’s has been class. Ford has been controlling and Cole solid. Love it. What was the Aussie TMO on about??
One eyed!
And proud of it and never in doubt my friend.
I meant the (southern hemisphere) TMO was one-eyed, not you, my hard of reading friend!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Wrap arounds only work once you’re on the front foot, we tried it and failed under Matt O’Connor, it’s a bit outdated and teams like the All Blacks will joke you with it.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Dr H Flashman MBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

TomWeston wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:30 pm
Dr H Flashman MBE wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:59 am
TomWeston wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:06 am

One eyed!
And proud of it and never in doubt my friend.
I meant the (southern hemisphere) TMO was one-eyed, not you, my hard of reading friend!
Ha ha...very true on all three accounts, my eyesight, the TMO and me!!
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

I had huge doubts about Jones’s selection, but I actually think he got it spot on. Slade had a couple of wobbles, but his decision making and execution of the kick for May’s try was very good. It would have been easy to just hoof it on the fly, and then you run the risk of the ball breaking anywhere, but the short stab kick allowed May to take control early and use his pace. Equally I though Ford’s clever game management rather than his usual attacking subtlety was actually ideal to take the sting out of the Aussies.
Cole, Marler and Kruis added power to the set piece which suffocated a tired Aussie pack.
Hugely impressed with Curry and Underhill, they were brutal in defence.
Aussies did show glimpses of greater firepower at times through Koroibete, Petaia and Kerevi, but I thought Watson and May showed great discipline defensively. Still have worries about Daly at 15. Watson at 15 and Nowell on the wing would be a better fit for me, with Daly the utility back on the bench.
Confidence should be high, but the All Blacks will be another level.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:42 pm When BY has a standout game and runs the show I'll give him plenty of credit 👍
Several Saints fans were giving him some love on social media. I thought he was very good today. Tempo and quality of pass was excellent.
AngusMcCoatup
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by AngusMcCoatup »

JP14 wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:35 pm Wrap arounds only work once you’re on the front foot, we tried it and failed under Matt O’Connor, it’s a bit outdated and teams like the All Blacks will joke you with it.
Matt O'Connor now that is a name that swirls round the spittoon! Could he be the revelation that Australia need to take over from a wounded Cheika one asks??
At least that would keep him off our shores for long periods and away from Tigers. :smt019
To the world you may be just one person.
But to that one person you may be the world!
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Wow that pace, handling and strength shown by the All Blacks was something today! They will be looking to repeat against us next week, can we cope? Like others have said, Daly is likely to struggle defensively against such class and pace. Hope we can do it, will Jones make any changes or do you stick with a winning team?