Premiership Round 1 - Worcester vs Tigers

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Premiership Round 1 - Worcester vs Tigers

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Big game, considering our recent results against Worcester, really need to start with a win. I’d go for:

Bateman Youngs Heyes
Spencer Green
Liebenberg Thompson Reffell
White Reid
Eastmond Viljoen
Holmes Worth Thompstone

Kerr, Gigena, Leatigaga, Wells, Coghlan, Harrison, Hardwick, Olowofela
JP14
Super User
Super User

Re: Premiership Round 1 - Worcester vs Tigers

Post by JP14 »

Has to be the strongest XV possible, get the monkey off our back.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:52 am Big game, considering our recent results against Worcester, really need to start with a win. I’d go for:

Bateman Youngs Heyes
Spencer Green
Liebenberg Thompson Reffell
White Reid
Eastmond Viljoen
Holmes Worth Thompstone

Kerr, Gigena, Leatigaga, Wells, Coghlan, Harrison, Hardwick, Olowofela
Heyes and Reffel both went off injured on Saturday so may not be available. That being the case Cortes probably comes in at tighthead or Leatigaga is promoted off the bench and Cortes replaces him. In the back row I would have Thompson at 7 in place of Reffel with Boladau coming in at 8 on the back of an impressive showing this weekend. I believe Viljoen is injured so Andy Forsyth starts at 13 and given Eastmond's defensive lapses I would move him to the bench and have 2 playmakers with Hardwick starting at 12.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Viljoen has been in training so I assume is available for selection. Didn’t know about Heyes and Reffell, hopefully both will be fit.
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

Eastmond should be benched and retired or put out on loan. As a senior player he offers nothing.I could forgive one of the youngsters as they are in a learning curve upwards.

Strongest pack available to counter Worcs pack. And Reid running the game plan.
No handling errors please.
MikeR
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by MikeR »

Eastmond - leave out - hopeless , Hardwick at 12 and to kick .Heyes didn't look that injured , Cortes waste of time - every scrum 2nd half went down. Really not sure Thompstone anywhere near the pace . Spencer & Green a must for 2nd row .
Worcs did lose heavily at weekend with strong team out but sadly I've little confidence in our lot .
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

From where I sat, behind the posts, Eastmond had a pretty good game. Get behind all the squad as there is much more spirit than last season.
I would expect TV and Kalamafoni to at least be on the bench.
TV has had an excellent World Cup and with him and the brilliant Holmes at least we will have plenty of pace to worry any side. I do believe, however, patience will be needed before we start to grind out wins against sides with few players missing.
Worcester, Irish, Sale And Bristol withsee the next 3 weeks as a real chance to get off to a flyer!
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

Reid has started very well ball in hand, but kicking could be a concern. For that, does Hardwick come into the thinking??
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

Ian Cant wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:43 am From where I sat, behind the posts, Eastmond had a pretty good game. Get behind all the squad as there is much more spirit than last season.
I would expect TV and Kalamafoni to at least be on the bench.
TV has had an excellent World Cup and with him and the brilliant Holmes at least we will have plenty of pace to worry any side. I do believe, however, patience will be needed before we start to grind out wins against sides with few players missing.
Worcester, Irish, Sale And Bristol withsee the next 3 weeks as a real chance to get off to a flyer!
TV and SK would indeed be most welcome and if they are available wouldn't Lavanini also be available? I have one question though are there not protocols which insist they have a certain amount of rest post world cup before playing or is that just our England players?
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
MikeR
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by MikeR »

Lavinni suspended ! . till Nov 2 I believe
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I would rest Kalamafoni and Veainu till next week, we made the mistake of shoehorning internationals last season, remember Bristol?
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

JP14 wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:17 pm I would rest Kalamafoni and Veainu till next week, we made the mistake of shoehorning internationals last season, remember Bristol?
Dont think that was the issue.........the red card was the main reason that Tigers were on the wrong end of the result. Bristol ran them ragged and worked it to theior advantage for about an hour against 14 men.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

I think any plan to play two internationals who’ve just played 3 or 4 pretty intense pool games, possibly several warm up matches and been in an international camp most of the summer, would be bonkers.

They’d have pretty much zero prep time, no chance to catch up on their actual lives. They need looking after.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:08 pm I think any plan to play two internationals who’ve just played 3 or 4 pretty intense pool games, possibly several warm up matches and been in an international camp most of the summer, would be bonkers.

They’d have pretty much zero prep time, no chance to catch up on their actual lives. They need looking after.
☝️ Exactly. Kalamafoni and TV should be given a this week off to adjust back to normality. Then some light training and general medical checks next week before returning to full training the week after that. Same for Lavanini.
FrontRowUnionMember wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:38 pm Reid has started very well ball in hand, but kicking could be a concern. For that, does Hardwick come into the thinking??
Reid will play 12 inside Ford this season so move him there and play Hardwick at 10. They can interchange at will but then Reid can start organising the defence from 12 which will be his role once Ford returns. Hardwick can take on the kicking responsibility. Eastmond off the bench as impact.
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

Sounds sensible sam.
I'm not cynical just experienced