Premiership Round 1 - Worcester vs Tigers

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: Premiership Round 1 - Worcester vs Tigers

Post by Scott1 »

LI win too,so upon reading and highlights I think its safe to say we were the worse team of the first round,great!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:24 pm LI win too,so upon reading and highlights I think its safe to say we were the worse team of the first round,great!
I doubt we were as bad as Bath. They got stuffed by Bristol.
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:24 pm LI win too,so upon reading and highlights I think its safe to say we were the worse team of the first round,great!
Saracens lost at home, Sale lost at home, Wasps lost at home, but don’t let that get in the way of your myopic view. You seem to suffer so much, why do you bother?
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

isn't bath the worst team of the first round?
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:00 pm isn't bath the worst team of the first round?
They are indeed. We have started where we left off in 11th.
I'm not cynical just experienced
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Nice little hollow victory then I suppose
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

fentiger wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:21 pm
Hot_Charlie wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:04 pm White was made Captain once Youngs went off? Brilliant. So what if he went off 15 minutes later; great to see a young player being trusted to lead the side.
As I said further back in this thread: Calum Green was captain for the remainder of the match after Youngs went off :smt015
My most humble apologies for having missed your post...
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:07 pm
fentiger wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:21 pm
Hot_Charlie wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:04 pm White was made Captain once Youngs went off? Brilliant. So what if he went off 15 minutes later; great to see a young player being trusted to lead the side.
As I said further back in this thread: Calum Green was captain for the remainder of the match after Youngs went off :smt015
My most humble apologies for having missed your post...
No worries :smt023
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

The most concerning thing for me is that for all the talk of change, resetting culture etc... Saturday's performance looked very similar to much of last season. Which was our worst ever.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

CrumblingTerrace wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:13 am The most concerning thing for me is that for all the talk of change, resetting culture etc... Saturday's performance looked very similar to much of last season. Which was our worst ever.
would agree , though 1 game does not make a season.One of the biggest worries/concerns for me is the kicking (badly) away of possession - really thought this had stopped as the norm.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
BigDan50
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BigDan50 »

The game plan we played was much the same as last season, we have not changed tactics and I feel the coaches we have are not up to the task, especially Murphy, he has been involved with the set up for many years and yet to prove he is a decent coach, time for him to hand over the coaching and tactics to someone else.
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

George Ford was the stand out player for Tigers last season.
A clear out was needed. Young blood needed a chance , especially with the wage cap.

It is obvious to me we need another quality kicker. Do we give Reid /White time to develop these skills or will the season be done and dusted.?

Waiting for the Internationals to return will only be a stop gap until 6N.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Our match against Worcester was not a good game, neither team will be happy about the way they performed and our loss without a losing bonus point could so easily have been a win. We missed some kicks at goal, Tom Hardwick is usually a reliable kicker but on Saturday he missed with a couple he probably would normally get. Reid I have only seen kick on two occasions the first time he did ok-ish the second was not good. In the past I have seen great kickers like Dusty Hare, John Liley, Tim Stimpson, Johnny Wilkinson and recently Owen Farrell have off days, it happens, we are not yet in a position to know what we have witnessed this season is the norm or an off day for our kickers.
In my opinion we were not far off the pace on Saturday but we have to move the ball quicker, our defence was pretty good but it is easier to defend if you are in your opponents 22 and have the ball, we were giving it back to Worcester far too easily by inaccurate kicking and at times poor handling. We can and will play better than this, we have to stay in contention until our World Cup lads return, this is a big season for some of our young guys and some more experienced squad players, they are currently getting opportunities to show that they are worth contract extensions and are worth a place in the squad even when international players return they must take that opportunity.
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

CrumblingTerrace wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:13 am The most concerning thing for me is that for all the talk of change, resetting culture etc... Saturday's performance looked very similar to much of last season. Which was our worst ever.
This was my concern. The most concerning comment on here is based around Worcester looking the more dangerous side. Players have changed, style (or lack thereof) appears not to have. So clearly the coaching was the biggest downfall.
Only positive is the fact we are apparently fitter than last year, and with some quality players to return, we may just break out of this drivel. Maybe Borthwick’s possible arrival will fire some change.
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

Watched the game on the premiership website.

As many have said the kicking from hand was brainless, but it happened repeatedly so I can only assume it was a preplanned tactic? But why you would want to kick to Pennell with no kick chase is hard to understand. He is an excellent broken field runner and has a great boot.

Some critical missed tackles, but in general first up tackling was solid but rarely dominant. Line speed dropped after 30 mins and the defence became passive.

Adam Thompstone rarely seems to want to get involved these days, made 0 meters ball carrying and I can't remember him coming inside to take a ball in midfield.

The tactic of a stationary forward flipping the ball on to another stationary forward is not going to trouble most teams. Why do Tigers players always want to take the ball into contact, we rarely see them aiming at the gaps between players.

Handling still seems to be suspect.

I'm not expecting much from the players coming back from the RWC, I would not be surprised if they are exhausted and drained.