debate about high tackling

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Rizzo, Tigerbeat, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

DingDong
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 187
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:06 am

Re: debate about high tackling

Post by DingDong » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:46 pm

I don't see any shoeing at the ruck any more, rarely see a dangerous challenge in the air these days, nor a spear tackle, no confusion with players there. So give it another few more months then finally the coaches/players mindsets will adapt as per the previous references and all this will be forgotten.

biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1534
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:35 pm

Re: debate about high tackling

Post by biffer » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:24 pm

DingDong wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:46 pm
I don't see any shoeing at the ruck any more, rarely see a dangerous challenge in the air these days, nor a spear tackle, no confusion with players there. So give it another few more months then finally the coaches/players mindsets will adapt as per the previous references and all this will be forgotten.
Exactly. This 'you can't get rid of high tackles' rubbish is exactly what people said about the tackle from behind in football.

johnthegriff
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1067
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:37 am

Re: debate about high tackling

Post by johnthegriff » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:30 pm

The game is about contact and a contest for the ball, high or clothesline type tackles have always been illegal, a tackle round the neck is illegal, a tackle round the chest the then slips up maybe slips of the ball or perhaps the tackled person raises his arms or lowers his head making the tackle illegal. Then of course there are accidents two players with no intention to do so clash heads, a player commits to a tackle and the one to be tackled jumps in the air as he receives the ball, illegal tackle in the air? In another example a player leaping to catch a ball crashes into a static opposition man and tips over. The referee has to decide intent and in my opinion accept that sometimes things just happen with no blame attached otherwise the game is going to become touch or tag rugby. If you are not prepared for a certain amount of pain don't go near a rugby pitch.

biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1534
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:35 pm

Re: debate about high tackling

Post by biffer » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:22 am

johnthegriff wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:30 pm
The game is about contact and a contest for the ball, high or clothesline type tackles have always been illegal, a tackle round the neck is illegal, a tackle round the chest the then slips up maybe slips of the ball or perhaps the tackled person raises his arms or lowers his head making the tackle illegal. Then of course there are accidents two players with no intention to do so clash heads, a player commits to a tackle and the one to be tackled jumps in the air as he receives the ball, illegal tackle in the air? In another example a player leaping to catch a ball crashes into a static opposition man and tips over. The referee has to decide intent and in my opinion accept that sometimes things just happen with no blame attached otherwise the game is going to become touch or tag rugby. If you are not prepared for a certain amount of pain don't go near a rugby pitch.
There's intent but there also has to be something around having due care and attention to others around you. You might not intend to hurt someone, but you do something reckless and cause a dangerous situation. For example, jumping into the tackle - I was always told this was illegal as it's dangerous and you should be penalised for it (the attacker jumping into the tackle, not the defender).

wellstiger
Silver Member
Silver Member
Posts: 533
Joined: Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:56 am

Re: debate about high tackling

Post by wellstiger » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:58 am

Rugby - a contact sport.
Rightly should protect players from high tackles and neck rolls.

If were not careful we will reduce the game to touch rugby and be dressed in hard hats, high vis jackets goggles and gloves so we don't break a nail. We can call it Millennial Rugby.
Also policed by 4 lines persons a Sir a TMO and a panel of 3 solicitors should there be a breach.

I'm kidding of course. ( just in case I'm taken seriously ) :smt019

JP14
Super User
Super User
Posts: 4271
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:37 am
Location: Neverland

Re: debate about high tackling

Post by JP14 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:31 pm

Jumping into a tackle is illegal, at the lower levels referees I have come across penalise wingers for leaping or skipping to prevent the tap tackle. Something that I do not see on TV.
"Our Greatest Glory Is Not In Never Failing, But In Rising Every Time We Fall" Confucius

biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1534
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:35 pm

Re: debate about high tackling

Post by biffer » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:09 pm

JP14 wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:31 pm
Jumping into a tackle is illegal, at the lower levels referees I have come across penalise wingers for leaping or skipping to prevent the tap tackle. Something that I do not see on TV.
I've never been sure about that last bit - that's jumping away from a tackle, not into one, surely?

Mark62
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2963
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:16 pm

Re: debate about high tackling

Post by Mark62 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:24 pm

biffer wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:09 pm
JP14 wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:31 pm
Jumping into a tackle is illegal, at the lower levels referees I have come across penalise wingers for leaping or skipping to prevent the tap tackle. Something that I do not see on TV.
I've never been sure about that last bit - that's jumping away from a tackle, not into one, surely?
I see what you’re saying jumping to avoid being tackled but it’s pretty much the same thing


JP14 is correct jumping into a tackle, is against the laws of the game, can be dangerous and should be penalised more.
There was one looked at the other week but they decided that the player was jumping to catch a pass rather than jumping into the tackle

jgriffin
Super User
Super User
Posts: 6730
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:49 pm
Location: On the edge of oblivion

Re: debate about high tackling

Post by jgriffin » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:50 pm

North and Thompstone, right in front of me. Totally North's deliberate jump at a static defender, Thompstone trying to get out of the way. And yes, North was spark out, he lied to avoid questions about concussion.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.

strawclearer
Super User
Super User
Posts: 3692
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:13 am

Re: debate about high tackling

Post by strawclearer » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:09 pm

jgriffin wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:50 pm
North and Thompstone, right in front of me. Totally North's deliberate jump at a static defender, Thompstone trying to get out of the way. And yes, North was spark out, he lied to avoid questions about concussion.
Agreed - on both counts - he jumped into the tackle and should have been carded and he was out.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Help save the Oceans - #RefuseTheStraw!

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Chobbsy, Dr H Flashman MBE, Google [Bot], kpj tiger, TigerBoy1880 and 2 guests