BFG
Super User
Super User

Re: Typhoon on it’s way

Post by BFG »

Mark62 wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:33 pm
BFG wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:21 pm
Mark62 wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:42 pm

Yet again you miss the point, they were prepared for typhoons just not one of never before magnitude. But then again why let the facts get in the way, and to answer your other point, it is always played at this time of year to fit in with the world rugby calendar
Mark I think the Prem final was on June 1st and the super rugby final was during first week of July.
They could've had the rugby World Cup done and dusted by now.
It's warm during August but at least matches can be played, ours are later anyway with the time difference and others are indoor stadiums.
They were too busy making money from other meaningless international fixtures.
We are left waiting for our rugby season to start when they eventually get finished and now they've been hit by an unexpected typhoon.
It's typhoon season, a strong one was always a possibility that couldn't be discounted.
And of course there were no international fixtures that are always played in the Southern Hemisphere in our summer months, which were actually less than normal this year.
Come on BFG I’m sure you’re really an intelligent man, take off your blinkers and look at the bigger picture. It’s unfortunate but these things happen look at the Cricket World Cup the Winter Olympics, you simply cannot plan for every eventuality, so far ahead
Yes typhoons do happen during typhoon season!
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Can we try and calm down....it is accepted that Typhoons do occur but generally not of the magnitude expected.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

BFG wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:44 pm

Mark I think the Prem final was on June 1st and the super rugby final was during first week of July.
It's warm during August but at least matches can be played, ours are later anyway with the time difference and others are indoor stadiums.
We are left waiting for our rugby season to start when they eventually get finished and now they've been hit by an unexpected typhoon.
It's typhoon season, a strong one was always a possibility that couldn't be discounted.
And of course there were no international fixtures that are always played in the Southern Hemisphere in our summer months, which were actually less than normal this year.
Come on BFG I’m sure you’re really an intelligent man, take off your blinkers and look at the bigger picture. It’s unfortunate but these things happen look at the Cricket World Cup the Winter Olympics, you simply cannot plan for every eventuality, so far ahead
Which is mainly in August and September.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Oh well I tried to be reasonable, I give up now.

Nowt so blind as those that can’t see.

Positive is that England should go into the Australia game fresh, and the Tigers players play one less game
.Welsh need to beware of a fresh French team especially after the physical encounter against `Fiji
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

biffer wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:53 pm
TigerBoy1880 wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:13 pm
CitizenSmiff wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:09 pm I just don't understand how a country with the resources and infrastructure of Japan can't move the games, especially with 4 or 5 days notice. You'd imagine the cost of such a manoeuvre would be at least partially covered by not having to forfeit TV revenues. I'm worried that England are going into a tough QF with very poor (two simple games and one that was over after 18 minutes) preparation. On the up side I suppose we haven't lost anybody important to a ban.
It’s because the World Rugby rules state that if a pool game is not started then the match is cancelled and a result of 0-0 is given. Japan would be able to move the games but World Rugby rules don’t allow it.
The more important question is why the rules are like that. Not a smart way to run a tournament.
If you move a match to another stadium and that available stadium happens to be smaller, who would decide which fans are to be refused admission and who is not. Chaos/Anger/Favouritism etc etc?
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

LE18 wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:08 pm
biffer wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:53 pm
TigerBoy1880 wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:13 pm

It’s because the World Rugby rules state that if a pool game is not started then the match is cancelled and a result of 0-0 is given. Japan would be able to move the games but World Rugby rules don’t allow it.
The more important question is why the rules are like that. Not a smart way to run a tournament.
If you move a match to another stadium and that available stadium happens to be smaller, who would decide which fans are to be refused admission and who is not. Chaos/Anger/Favouritism etc etc?
Also a small matter of thousands of people having to make a 500 mile journey they hadn’t planned for.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

TigerBoy1880 wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:56 pm

They can happen anytime from June to October but there is history of particularly disruptive ones hitting in September, or so I heard on the news earlier.
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

BFG wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:17 pm
TigerBoy1880 wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:56 pm

They can happen anytime from June to October but there is history of particularly disruptive ones hitting in September, or so I heard on the news earlier.
Alas we had no issues in September.
Greenwhiteandred
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Greenwhiteandred »

And it’s now the middle of October and your point is???
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

TigerBoy1880 wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:33 pm
Mark62 wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:42 pm

Yet again you miss the point, they were prepared for typhoons just not one of never before magnitude. But then again why let the facts get in the way, and to answer your other point, it is always played at this time of year to fit in with the world rugby calendar
So you think holding the World Cup in Japan during June and September would be best? Even though that’s the worst part of the typhoon season?
Typhoon season in Japan is May to October with May/June and October normally being quieter months. October was probably the best bet to fit in with the various Unions under normal circumstances and I expect this was considered by those who planned the event. What we have at the moment is an aberration. August is the height of the typhoon season, only to be considered by those not in full possession of the facts or their faculties.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

Interesting to read Gregor Townsend view when it looked like the weather might hit the Ireland v Samoa game.

“The Ireland game cannot be postponed, it has to be played that day. If it cannot be played that day then it’s two points for each team.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/rugby- ... s-20529433

Seems his view might have changed now.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

drc_007 wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:20 am Interesting to read Gregor Townsend view when it looked like the weather might hit the Ireland v Samoa game.

“The Ireland game cannot be postponed, it has to be played that day. If it cannot be played that day then it’s two points for each team.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/rugby- ... s-20529433

Seems his view might have changed now.
Typical "the world is against us Scots"!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

A huge shame for the World Cup.

Italy denied the chance to qualify for the next round already - sure, they probably wouldn't have won the match, but with that logic why invite them to the tournament at all? Still, I believe it's the first time Italy have managed a draw against the All Blacks, so well done them.

I'm not interested in the technical details of tornado season and logistics, but surely a game of rugby can be put on even if it's with no supporters - all you need is a decent rugby pitch (of which there are plenty in Japan unaffected by tornadoes this weekend) a few officials and two teams. Better to have a match behind closed doors than no match at all, right?

That they seem to have had no interest in trying to stage the cancelled games is embarrassing for the sport. Maybe matches only matter if you can get ticket sales and TV fees for them...
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Whilst it is a shame that matches are cancelled, rugby becomes insignificant when you think what is going to happen when the typhoon hits land. Structures will become damaged, facilities such as electricity in short supply, injuries likely and even the possibility of loss of life.
The Emergency services will be needed in the area and the planning needs to be focussed on the management of the typhoon......thoughts are with all the people in that vicinity....stay safe.....rugby will survive unlike some homes etc....just being realsitic
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
GETHIN EXILE

Post by GETHIN EXILE »

what is ridiculous is the lack of contingency planning. every match should have been able to be moved forward or back 1 day to ensure it was played. if the scotland v japan game is cancelled then it will be the worst decision world rugby has ever made.