Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Typhoon on it’s way

Post by Cardiff Tig »

TigerBoy1880 wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:13 pm
CitizenSmiff wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:09 pm I just don't understand how a country with the resources and infrastructure of Japan can't move the games, especially with 4 or 5 days notice. You'd imagine the cost of such a manoeuvre would be at least partially covered by not having to forfeit TV revenues. I'm worried that England are going into a tough QF with very poor (two simple games and one that was over after 18 minutes) preparation. On the up side I suppose we haven't lost anybody important to a ban.
It’s because the World Rugby rules state that if a pool game is not started then the match is cancelled and a result of 0-0 is given. Japan would be able to move the games but World Rugby rules don’t allow it.
There's also no other stadium big enough to accommodate the game. Imagine the chaos trying to tell 1000s of fans that they can't attend but everyone else can.
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

BFG wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:39 pm
It’s because the World Rugby rules state that if a pool game is not started then the match is cancelled and a result of 0-0 is given. Japan would be able to move the games but World Rugby rules don’t allow it.
They've only had ten years to plan it! :emb:
Plan what? The rules?

It’s nothing to do with Japan not being able to move matches, it’s a World Rugby rule. They could have had 100 years to plan it but it will still be irrelevant as there’s a rule in place.

It’s funny how I’ve not seen one single comment anywhere from the day it was announced that Japan would host the World Cup up until yesterday where anyone said it would be a bad idea to have the World Cup in Japan at this time of year due to the weather.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

BFG wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:48 am One match less to play for those cancelled makes a mockery of the entire tournament.
Thousands of fans probably spent years saving thousands of pounds to attend.
Never made much sense holding it there at this time.
Their global season will eventually come about one way or another.
So you feel that they should have taken a unprecedented meteorological event into account when planning for the event.
And what’s the difference between it being played in Australia or New Zealand, where weather anomalies can also occur, other than the fact that Japan is closer
Tiger_in_Birmingham
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tiger_in_Birmingham »

Mark62 wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:16 pm
BFG wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:48 am One match less to play for those cancelled makes a mockery of the entire tournament.

So you feel that they should have taken a unprecedented meteorological event into account when planning for the event.
And what’s the difference between it being played in Australia or New Zealand, where weather anomalies can also occur, other than the fact that Japan is closer
Seeing as Japan has an official typhoon season I would say it isn't exactly unprecedented - only the magnitude of it - a smaller (and very precedented) typhoon could also have affected games
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Tiger_in_Birmingham wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:25 pm

Seeing as Japan has an official typhoon season I would say it isn't exactly unprecedented - only the magnitude of it - a smaller (and very precedented) typhoon could also have affected games
But they’re saying that isn’t the case this is twice as powerful as anything previous and people are being warned not to go outside let alone play rugby.
Your point about typhoon season is obviously valid but World rugby using the data they had obviously felt it wouldn’t be an issue.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

So I feel, what are you a wannabe psychologist!
I don't believe that I wrote any of that, it's all your interpretation.
There are better times than October to hold a rugby tournament in Japan, it's just common sense.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

TigerBoy1880 wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:41 pm
Plan what? The rules?

It’s nothing to do with Japan not being able to move matches, it’s a World Rugby rule. They could have had 100 years to plan it but it will still be irrelevant as there’s a rule in place.

It’s funny how I’ve not seen one single comment anywhere from the day it was announced that Japan would host the World Cup up until yesterday where anyone said it would be a bad idea to have the World Cup in Japan at this time of year due to the weather.
If you're going to hold a rugby tournament during typhoon season in Japan then it would make sense to be prepared for a typhoon!
No more really needs saying!
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

BFG wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:32 pm
So I feel, what are you a wannabe psychologist!
I don't believe that I wrote any of that, it's all your interpretation.
There are better times than October to hold a rugby tournament in Japan, it's just common sense.
You don’t get any better do you, and that’s pretty much what you wrote
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

BFG wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:34 pm

Plan what? The rules?

If you're going to hold a rugby tournament during typhoon season in Japan then it would make sense to be prepared for a typhoon!
Yet again you miss the point, they were prepared for typhoons just not one of never before magnitude. But then again why let the facts get in the way, and to answer your other point, it is always played at this time of year to fit in with the world rugby calendar
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

While the scale of this typhoon is unprecedented, it doesn't look great for rugby does it? I can't think of another global tournament in a major sport that has had to cancel fixtures due to the weather. It just doesn't happen. To lose a high profile fixture like England v France is a major blow to the credibility of the tournament.
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

POSTIGER wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:03 pm While the scale of this typhoon is unprecedented, it doesn't look great for rugby does it? I can't think of another global tournament in a major sport that has had to cancel fixtures due to the weather. It just doesn't happen. To lose a high profile fixture like England v France is a major blow to the credibility of the tournament.
Cricket World Cup
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

POSTIGER wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:03 pm While the scale of this typhoon is unprecedented, it doesn't look great for rugby does it? I can't think of another global tournament in a major sport that has had to cancel fixtures due to the weather. It just doesn't happen. To lose a high profile fixture like England v France is a major blow to the credibility of the tournament.
Winter Olympics
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Mark62 wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:42 pm

Plan what? The rules?

Yet again you miss the point, they were prepared for typhoons just not one of never before magnitude. But then again why let the facts get in the way, and to answer your other point, it is always played at this time of year to fit in with the world rugby calendar
Mark I think the Prem final was on June 1st and the super rugby final was during first week of July.
They could've had the rugby World Cup done and dusted by now.
It's warm during August but at least matches can be played, ours are later anyway with the time difference and others are indoor stadiums.
They were too busy making money from other meaningless international fixtures.
We are left waiting for our rugby season to start when they eventually get finished and now they've been hit by an unexpected typhoon.
It's typhoon season, a strong one was always a possibility that couldn't be discounted.
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

BFG wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:21 pm

Mark I think the Prem final was on June 1st and the super rugby final was during first week of July.
It's warm during August but at least matches can be played, ours are later anyway with the time difference and others are indoor stadiums.
We are left waiting for our rugby season to start when they eventually get finished and now they've been hit by an unexpected typhoon.
It's typhoon season, a strong one was always a possibility that couldn't be discounted.
So you think holding the World Cup in Japan during June and September would be best? Even though that’s the worst part of the typhoon season?
Last edited by TigerBoy1880 on Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

BFG wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:21 pm

And of course there were no international fixtures that are always played in the Southern Hemisphere in our summer months, which were actually less than normal this year.
Come on BFG I’m sure you’re really an intelligent man, take off your blinkers and look at the bigger picture. It’s unfortunate but these things happen look at the Cricket World Cup the Winter Olympics, you simply cannot plan for every eventuality, so far ahead