Typhoon on it’s way

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Typhoon on it’s way

Post by loretta »

According to bbc sport, a typhoon is headed for the venue of the England France match at the weekend. Should it cause a cancellation, we go through at the top of the pool with points awarded for a no-score draw. I suppose it could be worse!
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
Spicer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Typhoon on it’s way

Post by Spicer »

It could make the situation with Ireland, Scotland and Japan very interesting
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

I'm no climatologist or anything but it does seem like organising a month long tournament during typhoon season might have some drawbacks.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

CitizenSmiff wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:30 pm I'm no climatologist or anything but it does seem like organising a month long tournament during typhoon season might have some drawbacks.
Excellent point but to be fair they haven’t lost a minutes play to the weather, admittedly with the help of some enclosed arenas, and reports are that the typhoon could change direction another 3 times before Saturday
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

Mark62 wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:50 pm
CitizenSmiff wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:30 pm I'm no climatologist or anything but it does seem like organising a month long tournament during typhoon season might have some drawbacks.
Excellent point but to be fair they haven’t lost a minutes play to the weather, admittedly with the help of some enclosed arenas, and reports are that the typhoon could change direction another 3 times before Saturday
I hate to say I told you so.

So, now we top the pool, no new injuries and those we have get a chance to recover. NZ v Italy draw made me smile.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Had to happen I suppose, hopefully World Rugby will have the dignity to give a partial refund to the fans who bought tickets to the match, people have spent life savings on these fixtures.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

JP14 wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:24 am Had to happen I suppose, hopefully World Rugby will have the dignity to give a partial refund to the fans who bought tickets to the match, people have spent life savings on these fixtures.
Partial refund????? No it should be a total refund of the value of the tickets if they were bought through authorised distributors - and I would hope that the tour organisers would refund what they charged for the fans for the tickets. Will either happen??? don't think so but it would a minor drop in the overall profits of the event and would lead to so much goodwill from the fans.
Hehehehehehehehe
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

One match less to play for those cancelled makes a mockery of the entire tournament.
Thousands of fans probably spent years saving thousands of pounds to attend.
Never made much sense holding it there at this time.
Their global season will eventually come about one way or another.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

I'm with Parisse on this one. If NZ had needed 4 points, the game would have been played somehow. Sad for Gharaldini, his last international.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
TigerS2
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerS2 »

The World Cup has turned in to a farce.
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

I just don't understand how a country with the resources and infrastructure of Japan can't move the games, especially with 4 or 5 days notice. You'd imagine the cost of such a manoeuvre would be at least partially covered by not having to forfeit TV revenues. I'm worried that England are going into a tough QF with very poor (two simple games and one that was over after 18 minutes) preparation. On the up side I suppose we haven't lost anybody important to a ban.
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

CitizenSmiff wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:09 pm I just don't understand how a country with the resources and infrastructure of Japan can't move the games, especially with 4 or 5 days notice. You'd imagine the cost of such a manoeuvre would be at least partially covered by not having to forfeit TV revenues. I'm worried that England are going into a tough QF with very poor (two simple games and one that was over after 18 minutes) preparation. On the up side I suppose we haven't lost anybody important to a ban.
It’s because the World Rugby rules state that if a pool game is not started then the match is cancelled and a result of 0-0 is given. Japan would be able to move the games but World Rugby rules don’t allow it.
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

TigerBoy1880 wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:13 pm
CitizenSmiff wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:09 pm I just don't understand how a country with the resources and infrastructure of Japan can't move the games, especially with 4 or 5 days notice. You'd imagine the cost of such a manoeuvre would be at least partially covered by not having to forfeit TV revenues. I'm worried that England are going into a tough QF with very poor (two simple games and one that was over after 18 minutes) preparation. On the up side I suppose we haven't lost anybody important to a ban.
It’s because the World Rugby rules state that if a pool game is not started then the match is cancelled and a result of 0-0 is given. Japan would be able to move the games but World Rugby rules don’t allow it.
Ah fair enough, cheers.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

They've only had ten years to plan it! :emb:
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

The more important question is why the rules are like that. Not a smart way to run a tournament.