England v France

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Robespierre
Super User
Super User

England v France

Post by Robespierre »

As both sides have already qualified, will they be at their strongest or will key players be rested? My initial thoughts are that Billy Vunipola had an anonymous match on Saturday and I hope he will be replaced by Wilson. Singleton needs game time so I’d have him in the starting XV as should Genge. Watson should be given the chance to play fullback. Joseph and Slade need game time and Nowell too. As I mentioned a week or so ago, I’d give my month’s pension to see Huget flattened by Cokanasiga! George Ford - should he be wrapped in cotton wool for the QF?
Semper in excretia
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: England v France

Post by Scott1 »

A lot rides on Wales v Fiji. If Fiji play like they did against Georgia they are a real threat, incredible handling skills in that weather and have nothing to lose. I have a feeling France would much rather play Wales than Oz. That match will dictate their lineup imo.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Forgot to add how good Fijis scrum was too!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Depends who wants who in the quarters with Wales likely to top that group.
Imho Australia are the weaker of those 2 sides therefore topping the group is important.
Don’t really see the need to give 3rd choices like Genge a run, for me it’s the strongest available 23 from here moving forward
SimonP in Surrey

Post by SimonP in Surrey »

Interesting question as to preferring to play AUS or WAL in the quarters. I though both were quite fierce in their head to head but both have also showed some sloppiness such as with AUS passing / catching and WAL lineout. As an ENG fan I think I would prefer AUS overall, (which is how it will most likely pan out), as i think ENG forwards can outpower AUS. WAL will beat FRA I think in the other match. Anyways ENG vs FRA I suspect will be a little flat with ENG winning still therefore not the 100% test that they (ENG) particularly need. As mention elsewhere Billy has not properly fired yet and we looked better when Ludlam came on. Rest Billy and give Wilson some game time.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

SimonP in Surrey wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:06 pm Interesting question as to preferring to play AUS or WAL in the quarters. I though both were quite fierce in their head to head but both have also showed some sloppiness such as with AUS passing / catching and WAL lineout. As an ENG fan I think I would prefer AUS overall, (which is how it will most likely pan out), as i think ENG forwards can outpower AUS. WAL will beat FRA I think in the other match. Anyways ENG vs FRA I suspect will be a little flat with ENG winning still therefore not the 100% test that they (ENG) particularly need. As mention elsewhere Billy has not properly fired yet and we looked better when Ludlam came on. Rest Billy and give Wilson some game time.
Excellent point re Billy, Ludlam has been one of England’s stand outs for me, and deserves a start
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

In my opinion, Eddie Jones should not select his team in accordance with his preferred opposition in the QFs. The England team has already qualified and the opportunity should be taken to give valuable game time to the other players who may well be called upon to play in the semi-final due to injuries. So the likes of George, Marler, both Vunipolas, Ford, May, Tuilagi, Itoje, Curry and Underhill should be rested. Other players like Ludlam, Slade, Joseph, Cokanasiga, Nowell, Launchbury, Singleton, Genge etc are reliable players and won't let the side down.
Semper in excretia
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Genge
Singleton
Cole
Launchbury
Lawes
Ludlam
Underhill
Wilson
Heinz
Ford
Cokanasiga
Tuilagi
Slade
Nowell
Watson
Cowan-Dickie
Vunipola
Sinckler
Itoje
Curry
Youngs
Joesph
McConnochie
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

JP14 wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:59 pm Genge
Singleton
Cole
Launchbury
Lawes
Ludlam
Underhill
Wilson
Heinz
Ford
Cokanasiga
Tuilagi
Slade
Nowell
Watson
Cowan-Dickie
Vunipola
Sinckler
Itoje
Curry
Youngs
Joesph
McConnochie
Looks good to me !
Semper in excretia
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I would be tempted to reward Cowan-Dickie with the start though.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

My only comment would be that the guy who’s played anymore rugby that anyone else is George Ford, so if you’re resting players you would rest him
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Genge
LCD
Cole
Launchbury
Lawes
Ludlam
Underhill
Wilson
Heinz
Farrell
Cokanisiga
Manu
Slade
Watson
Daly

Mako, Singleton,Sinckler,Itoje,Curry,Youngs,Ford,Joseph
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

One interesting stat, taking into account how superstitious some professional players can be, is that no team that has ever lost a pool match has gone on to win the Rugby World Cup
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

Robespierre wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:56 am As both sides have already qualified, will they be at their strongest or will key players be rested? My initial thoughts are that Billy Vunipola had an anonymous match on Saturday and I hope he will be replaced by Wilson. Singleton needs game time so I’d have him in the starting XV as should Genge. Watson should be given the chance to play fullback. Joseph and Slade need game time and Nowell too. As I mentioned a week or so ago, I’d give my month’s pension to see Huget flattened by Cokanasiga! George Ford - should he be wrapped in cotton wool for the QF?
Apparently there is a sickness bug in the England camp which might lead to 7 changes :smt005
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Chobbsy wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:34 pm
Robespierre wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:56 am As both sides have already qualified, will they be at their strongest or will key players be rested? My initial thoughts are that Billy Vunipola had an anonymous match on Saturday and I hope he will be replaced by Wilson. Singleton needs game time so I’d have him in the starting XV as should Genge. Watson should be given the chance to play fullback. Joseph and Slade need game time and Nowell too. As I mentioned a week or so ago, I’d give my month’s pension to see Huget flattened by Cokanasiga! George Ford - should he be wrapped in cotton wool for the QF?
Apparently there is a sickness bug in the England camp which might lead to 7 changes :smt005
How convenient! Probably PMT (pre match tension!)
Semper in excretia