Super User

Re: PRC Round 4 - Tigers vs Saints

Post by JP14 »

Was it a good crowd?
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

JP14 wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:24 pm Was it a good crowd?
16000+
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

For a derby, that’s not good at all. Obviously still a lot of fans to convince to return. Can’t blame the World Cup or the fact it’s a minnow competition, we achieved the attendance record for the then AWC in 2017.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
JGT57

Post by JGT57 »

Tickets sold were 16,000. Not the attendance.
Subtle difference.
MikeR
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by MikeR »

12,000 at best . Very mixed display from Tigers - some players very good , some very poor indeed .
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

MikeR wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:48 pm 12,000 at best . Very mixed display from Tigers - some players very good , some very poor indeed .
Names ??
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Mark62 wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:05 pm
longlivethecrumbie wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:51 pm It must be massively difficult to ref a game these days as a rookie, at that level, without the safety blanket of a TMO looking specifically for things like high tackles
TMO has arguably become important than the assistant refs in the professional game
As the game wasn't televised there would have been no TMO. That should change next week with the Prem back.

Disappointing result to be in command and then throw it away. Can't miss that many kicks at goal.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Thought the ref was very good today but the touch judges were inept as there were several high tackles missed by the officials and at a time when Tigers were leading. Holmes was excellent and the effort by the whole squad was a huge improvement on last season. Not sure we will be good enough to beat Worcester without converting our penalties and conversions. Reid a great heads up player but need a kicker. As Worth kicked penalties to touch when Hardwick came on I can only assume he was carrying a slight niggle.
I’m a fan of Adam Thompstone but would have a back three of Worth, Olowefela and Holmes.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Ian Cant wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:00 pm Thought the ref was very good today but the touch judges were inept as there were several high tackles missed by the officials and at a time when Tigers were leading. Holmes was excellent and the effort by the whole squad was a huge improvement on last season. Not sure we will be good enough to beat Worcester without converting our penalties and conversions. Reid a great heads up player but need a kicker. As Worth kicked penalties to touch when Hardwick came on I can only assume he was carrying a slight niggle.
I’m a fan of Adam Thompstone but would have a back three of Worth, Olowefela and Holmes.
Have never seen so many high tackles go unpunished- player welfare obviously not important :smt018
A2O
LittleBigG

Post by LittleBigG »

ay2oh wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:38 pm Have never seen so many high tackles go unpunished- player welfare obviously not important :smt018
To be honest... I was more bothered that there were so many "punished" - but there was no escalation! There must have been at least 5 high tackle penalties! :smt012

(obviously not including those that were missed!)
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

MikeR wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:48 pm 12,000 at best . Very mixed display from Tigers - some players very good , some very poor indeed .
Crowd was the smallest I’ve seen in many years for a local derby. I was particularly surprised to see relatively few Saints fans. I can only think they expected a loss and didn’t bother making the trip. Saints had shipped 129 points in their previous three games (all losses), and at times this showed. Despite some excellent individual performances, Tigers should have done better at home against that opposition, and we need to significantly improve come the start of the season proper. Otherwise it’s going to be another long season...
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

Clearly we are better going forward than defending. I still have concerns at 12 & 13. Ok when Manu is fit at 13 but options otherwise seem somewhat limited.
I'm not cynical just experienced
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

chewbacca wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:40 am Clearly we are better going forward than defending. I still have concerns at 12 & 13. Ok when Manu is fit at 13 but options otherwise seem somewhat limited.
Taute, Reid, Viljoen, Eastmond, Manu, Worth, Hardwick all cover 12/13, which isn't bad in terms of volume. I can see a 10/12 axis of Ford & Reid with Manu outside of them when the World Cup is done and dusted
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:25 am
chewbacca wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:40 am Clearly we are better going forward than defending. I still have concerns at 12 & 13. Ok when Manu is fit at 13 but options otherwise seem somewhat limited.
Taute, Reid, Viljoen, Eastmond, Manu, Worth, Hardwick all cover 12/13, which isn't bad in terms of volume. I can see a 10/12 axis of Ford & Reid with Manu outside of them when the World Cup is done and dusted
I also add Andy Forsyth to that list, he's been looking very handy so far....assuming we keep him on somehow of course.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

I’ve seen pictures of Viljoen on the training paddock but not Taute.

Think we may well see Reid at 12 next week with Hardwick at 10 down to his superior goal kicking as much as anything else