PRC Round 4 - Tigers vs Saints

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Spicer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: PRC Round 4 - Tigers vs Saints

Post by Spicer »

Both teams are pretty strong. It won't be a million miles from our team against Worcester.

I like the back row a lot and in fact the forwards are generally strong.

I do worry about Simmons lack of game time so far. Clearly White and Harrison are preferred over him. He'll probably have to leave to continue his career at this rate, which would be a great shame as he's very talented.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Spicer wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:49 pm I do worry about Simmons lack of game time so far. Clearly White and Harrison are preferred over him. He'll probably have to leave to continue his career at this rate, which would be a great shame as he's very talented.
More so than White IMO!
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

fentiger wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:01 pm
Spicer wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:49 pm I do worry about Simmons lack of game time so far. Clearly White and Harrison are preferred over him. He'll probably have to leave to continue his career at this rate, which would be a great shame as he's very talented.
More so than White IMO!
Given his injury issues we don't know whether he's had further ops in the summer and maybe isn't 100%. With the rumours that Harrison is seeking a move down under they'll be opportunities for Simmons.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

White looked good so far this preseason.
As said Simmons has had his injury problems, his time will come.
MikeR
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by MikeR »

White has nowhere near the potential of Simmons.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Listen I think Simmons is the better player.

But I don't get why people like to poop on White TBH, The guy is clearly rated being England U20 captain and also picked to play against the barbarians.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

MikeR wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:46 am White has nowhere near the potential of Simmons.
England under 20s captain Ben White, youngest ever Tigers debutant has less potential than a fullback who was converted to 9 because he was judged to small to make it at 15. Now I really like Simmons as a player, he's just a natural footballer and could play across most of the backline, but I think you're being a bit over the top.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I think both are better currently than Youngs.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

JP14 wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:08 am I think both are better currently than Youngs.
You’re usually very sensible but that is complete rubbish has someone been getting to you. You’re basically saying you could drop any one of those 2 into the England side that is one of the favourites to win the World Cup. :smt017

I also think that Simmons will end up being better than White but he needs a decent run of games. That said White is an excellent player and as usual it’s the rugby uneducated having a pop at him.
I’d say they are both better now than Harrison, who shows wonderful commitment.but his overall game is lacking
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Ben Youngs reminds me a lot of Lawrence Dallaglio, immortalised by England yet was always selected over the better player, Martin Corry. No matter what your opinion of Lenny he was always be first-choice for England.

White is highly rated, Youngs-esq, whilst Simmons is a talented footballer who can play wherever you want them to play, they are foils to each and that’s what you need, rather than carbon copies.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
ATigerinAfrica

Post by ATigerinAfrica »

Understand the point - and my goodness did Dallaglio wind up those of us old enough to see him play in a Wasps shirt against Tigers, which itself was a grudging mark of respect - but I think any player who's won one world cup and got to the final of another probably deserved their spot.
Richardfje

Post by Richardfje »

anyway of watching this online
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

Can you see it online somewhere? I’m suffering it on BBC RL .. I thought we’d managed to get rid of Bleddwyn .. sadly We’ve now got to now decipher his dithering diatribe again!
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Only following the game on line and Reid seems to have had another decent go at 10, except he’s missed 3 out of 4 kicks, which at the time of posting is the difference.
Question for anyone at the game, were they difficult kicks, or is there an argument for playing Hardwick at 12
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Mark62 wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:47 pm Only following the game on line and Reid seems to have had another decent go at 10, except he’s missed 3 out of 4 kicks, which at the time of posting is the difference.
Question for anyone at the game, were they difficult kicks, or is there an argument for playing Hardwick at 12
From the RL coverage it sounded like his first 3 kicks were from the touchline, although his first 2 efforts sounded shocking