Is Lavanini going to be a liability?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Re: Is Lavanini going to be a liability?

Post by sam16111986 »

Considering the number of completely needless penalties we conceded last season I'm not worried about Lavanini coming in and throwing his weight around. I don't mind our pack picking up the occasional yellow of it's part out bringing back our hard edge. Obviously no one wants regular yellow cards and we should be aiming for better discipline but last season we were a shambles, the number of head in hands moments from the likes of Mike Williams was counted per game.

Lavanini and the Pumas had a great season last year making the Super Rugby final. He's reaching peak age so of we can push him on a bit and improve him in a few technical places I can see him being a great addition for us and it will leave us with some really good options at lock.
nasher

Post by nasher »

Guilty before he even played for us, typical of some posters on here. Give the guy a chance, he will be a massive improvement on last seasons efforts.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

nasher wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:31 am Guilty before he even played for us, typical of some posters on here. Give the guy a chance, he will be a massive improvement on last seasons efforts.
Likewise way too much leniency because he's a Tiger which wouldn't be there otherwise,works both ways
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

His Instagram feed shows him travelling back to Argentina, so hopefully signs that he could be with us sooner than expected .

No real surprise on the posters who are having a pop before he even arrives
aslongaswebeatsaints
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by aslongaswebeatsaints »

sam16111986 wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:31 pm Considering the number of completely needless penalties we conceded last season I'm not worried about Lavanini coming in and throwing his weight around. I don't mind our pack picking up the occasional yellow of it's part out bringing back our hard edge. Obviously no one wants regular yellow cards and we should be aiming for better discipline but last season we were a shambles, the number of head in hands moments from the likes of Mike Williams was counted per game.

Lavanini and the Pumas had a great season last year making the Super Rugby final. He's reaching peak age so of we can push him on a bit and improve him in a few technical places I can see him being a great addition for us and it will leave us with some really good options at lock.
:smt023
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

Scott1 wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:33 am
nasher wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:31 am Guilty before he even played for us, typical of some posters on here. Give the guy a chance, he will be a massive improvement on last seasons efforts.
Likewise way too much leniency because he's a Tiger which wouldn't be there otherwise,works both ways
Not really. We don't tend to discuss players unless they are or soon will be a Tiger, so no real way to make a comparison. AFAIK we haven't discussed any of the other players getting a red card except whether it was a red card or not and then more to do with the ref/laws than the player.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

His Instagram feed shows him in Piccadilly Circus, so hopefully that means he’s in the UK and will be joining up soon and be ready for the end of his ban
SimonP in Surrey

Post by SimonP in Surrey »

Lavanini has the core attributes to make a difference. You can’t train or coach some of those absolute DNA traits. Therefore despite his enforcer status I suspect he needs a really strong (brave 😀) captain to stare at him / yell at him / hold him back a bit like like Itoje does with Sinks for ENG.
teds
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by teds »

It will be a culture shock for lavanini. He is still a youngster, and working abroad in a foreign language can be very stressful. I would love to see us appoint a mentor to help him settle in. Someone he could talk to about anything. Marcos would be a great choice, but even someone like Matera who himself failed to settle in might be able to offer some insights.
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

Hopefully Les Cusworth has given him some insight regarding living and playing in a foreign country.
I'm not cynical just experienced
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Well hopefully his fellow countryman Cortes and Gigena will help him settle in?
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

This lad is going to massive for us. With Genge and Cole back, as well as Thomas, we ought to be able to recreate some of our past forward dominance.. For the last few years, our locks have been Championship standard, not Premiership.
SimonP in Surrey

Post by SimonP in Surrey »

Strong step in the right direction ... and agree with the mentor comment above.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

sapajo wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:20 pm Well hopefully his fellow countryman Cortes and Gigena will help him settle in?
Agree, I’m sure his fellow Argentinians can help with the language barrier.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Do we actually know he doesn't speak English? I've worked with people from all over the world with varying levels of English and the numbers of them becoming homesick and/or failing to settle in was never any higher than with British people. We already have a variety of different nationalities, including Argentinians, so why would there be a problem for him?

Will he be a liability? Yes, probably, just as Julian White was and we loved him regardless.