Is Lavanini going to be a liability?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

BFG
Super User
Super User

Re: Is Lavanini going to be a liability?

Post by BFG »

Lavanini is so big that a nice bear hug under that ball would be more suitable.
It's not really tackling players like Farrell in a defensive rush where he will be most useful to Leicester anyway but it's encouraging to see an incoming lock attempting it.
Tigers v Sarries should be a bit tasty.
glenn

Post by glenn »

All coaches this pre season. Will have been working on tackle heights. However now I think I most will go back to the drawing board and start again! On first watch i couldn't see much w rong with the tackle. Then watching a second time I thought yellow. due to both lowering their shoulder heights then, on the third watch I knew it would be red. I feel for Lav, as it was a hard call, but he knew when he saw it back. His face said it all. I can't wait to see him in Green red and white... Or orange of course!
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Mark62 wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:52 pm
fortysix wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:45 pm Lavanini will be massive for us.
Felt actually sorry for him watching the incident--without realising he was a Tiger---------- this sort of reaction either which way is going to happen until all coaching sessions make sure IF a player is bending/ falling downwards, then the tackler either pulls out OR goes lower. Which is a physical impossibility in the heat of the moment

The end game will be Coaches-like the Nippons--- INSTRUCTING all players to go for the ankles 100% to alleviate any chance of a red
Very true though if you watch Underhill I don’t think I’ve ever seen him make a high hit and he is one of the most destructive tacklers around.
Admittedly he isn’t the tallest but he is still quite a unit
Underhill has had concussion problems. Tackling low isn't always the answer to avoiding concussion problems.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co ... n/47000468
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

sam16111986 wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:05 am
Mark62 wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:52 pm
fortysix wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:45 pm Lavanini will be massive for us.
Felt actually sorry for him watching the incident--without realising he was a Tiger---------- this sort of reaction either which way is going to happen until all coaching sessions make sure IF a player is bending/ falling downwards, then the tackler either pulls out OR goes lower. Which is a physical impossibility in the heat of the moment

The end game will be Coaches-like the Nippons--- INSTRUCTING all players to go for the ankles 100% to alleviate any chance of a red
Very true though if you watch Underhill I don’t think I’ve ever seen him make a high hit and he is one of the most destructive tacklers around.
Admittedly he isn’t the tallest but he is still quite a unit
Underhill has had concussion problems. Tackling low isn't always the answer to avoiding concussion problems.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co ... n/47000468
No agreed concussion issues result from any area knees hips elbows etc my point was mainly regarding the fact that you don’t have to go high to make an effective tackle and therefore eliminating the risk of a red card
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I didn't feel sorry for him at all! Why? Farrell yes but it was an awful tackle,high and shoulder to the head,no mitigating circumstances,red all day,Tiger or not! Theres no comparison with Spencer's at all either
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Can't argue with the red card , but how many times last season did we hear our pack described as 'powder-puff' or 'pussycats' ?
How many times have we called for an enforcer ? Believe that we now have one.
This guy fits the bill and is a top class international forward - who by the way has not yet even set foot in the country as a Tigers player yet , let alone represented the Club on the field of play.Reserve judgement ,at least.

Liability ? No
Astute acquisition ? Yes

In my opinion of course.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

I for one am looking forward to seeing him perform in a Tigers shirt at least he has not as sustained an injury (that we know of) during the world cup.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

The tackle changes mean all players run the risk of being carded and have to adapt their tackle technique.

The days of getting away with shoulder charges and late hits have gone so the need to stay in control is vital as being carded is too costly for the team.

Too many red cards for errors rather than deliberate foul play is not doing much for the game.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

mol2 wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:21 pm
The days of getting away with shoulder charges and late hits have gone so the need to stay in control is vital as being carded is too costly for the team.
Really? In the Tonga Vs France game this morning the Tongan number 4 got away with two pretty blatant shoulder charges to the ribs of French players neither which had the ball. Penalty only for both, either could and should have been yellow. Expect massive inconsistencies across this season just as we're seeing at the world cup.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

I don't think Lavanini's is much worse than Piers Francis's in the USA game.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:22 pm I don't think Lavanini's is much worse than Piers Francis's in the USA game.
Really?!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Red card in the Saracens v Northampton game.
Saints player was holding onto the ankle of a Saracen so he couldn’t get away from the ruck.
Saracens player pushes down on the head of the Saint to get him to let go and in the end has to flick his foot hard to get his leg released.
Our friend CMK who was ref awarded a yellow card against the Northampton player, rightly so, and red cards the Saracens player for kicking out in the area of the head.
As Healey said what else could the bloke have done to get his leg free.
I remember a similar incident with Itoje, who used to grab people all the time, in a big European match
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Do you remember Healey kicking Kevin Putt? I thought some of his comments were a bit "pot, kettle, black?" .......if you see what I mean.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:21 pm
Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:22 pm I don't think Lavanini's is much worse than Piers Francis's in the USA game.
Really?!
Yes, otherwise I wouldn't of said so.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:58 pm
Scott1 wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:21 pm
Really?!
Yes, otherwise I wouldn't of said so.
More force and he's a bigger lump which always seems to draw the attention. I think Francis made less effort to dip into the tackle. He was a very lucky boy with the citing commission. I doubt Lavanini will have any such luck.