England v Argentina

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

JP14
Super User
Super User

Re: England v Argentina

Post by JP14 »

Cowan-Dickie is really playing the poacher at the moment.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

JP14 wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:11 am
TomWeston wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:56 am
Scott1 wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:50 am First phase try from 14 men,not good!
The defence-splitting pass was forward, surely.
It was but it didn’t really matter in the scheme of things did it?
No but first phase trys at the highest level are poor,your defence is perfectly set at a set piece
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Ben Youngs is obviously awful to be England’s most capped back and to score a good snipers try
Eddie is wrong to pick him and should send him back immediately :smt015 :smt015 :smt046
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Watching with Posh Richard has its reward....the aftermatch interjection was as follows:-

Hello Rugby fans, news of an exciting competition at the World Cup.... It's the "Ignore the Laws" game for the officials. Latest results for the most ignored laws are, in reverse order....... 3rd - Forward passes. 2nd -Runner in front of the Kicker (offside). 1st - Defensive players well in front of offside line at all rucks and at the goal line. A spokesman said...."We hope to make rugby easy to watch and to referee by ignoring as many laws as possible ". Ex-players were seen crying into their pints , but were dismissed by the RFU as grumpy old gits.

As for England, they did enough.....it's the pool stages and we're 15 / 15? Disappointed Faz didn't hand the kicks to Ford. In more important games those points could be critical. The scrum halves worry me......but that's what we've got out there. Live with it.
Manu needs to watch it and Lavanini looks to be a liability. You can't play like that these days.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:25 am Speed of ball gone up now Heinz on
I know we are all entitled to our own opinion, but practically all your many comments have been knocking Ben Youngs. There are 14 other England players out there and not all of them perfect.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Cagey Tiger wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:42 pm
I know we are all entitled to our own opinion, but practically all your many comments have been knocking Ben Youngs. There are 14 other England players out there and not all of them perfect.
I thought Ben played really well actually. We looked far more threatening in the first half when Ben was on. His passing can still be wayward at times but he challenged their ruck defence a lot more.

Farrell was poor throughout. On several occasions Ford was left trying to pass to thin air where his inside centre should have been. The yips in front of goal weren't great either.

Flankers looked very good. Being able to bring Ludlow on really works well for us. Really good at upping the tempo when he comes on and having three flankers who'll cover the pitch and contest everything makes us much better around contact.
Mayocaz
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Mayocaz »

Cagey Tiger wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:42 pm
The speed of the ball from the rucks does generally increase when a fresh 9 comes on during the second half.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Didn't see the England game live as I was on the way to Bath, have now watched it so I can comment. Lavanini red card, no complaint a clumsy tackle reminiscent of Spencer's at Wasps last season only in this case clear head contact so ref no option. We could have had no complaints either if Manu had received a yellow for the tackle in the air, decision could have gone either way personally I think Nigel Owen got it right but another ref might have seen it differently.
I note that Scott1 continues his anti Ben Youngs campaign, over recent seasons it seems that many Tiger's fans are unable to comprehend that the scrum half cannot pass the ball from the back of the scrum until the forwards have made it available and only then after players are in position to receive it. During Ben's 47 minutes on the pitch he was directly involved in the moves resulting in four tries including the one he scored himself. He made one superb kick from our 22 to beyond halfway, he put one box kick short and put another direct into touch after receiving a poor pass from the lineout, one box kick probably too long also, other kicks ok. To sum up we did better with him on the field than we did after he left.
Scott claims that in the Goldsmith stand they have christened Ben " Dilly Dally" it is possible for one vocal person to influence those around them particularly ones that haven't noticed that for more than three years they have been in the Matiola Woods Stand. We in the Crumbie are much more observant!
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

johnthegriff wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:32 am Didn't see the England game live as I was on the way to Bath, have now watched it so I can comment. Lavanini red card, no complaint a clumsy tackle reminiscent of Spencer's at Wasps last season only in this case clear head contact so ref no option. We could have had no complaints either if Manu had received a yellow for the tackle in the air, decision could have gone either way personally I think Nigel Owen got it right but another ref might have seen it differently.
I note that Scott1 continues his anti Ben Youngs campaign, over recent seasons it seems that many Tiger's fans are unable to comprehend that the scrum half cannot pass the ball from the back of the scrum until the forwards have made it available and only then after players are in position to receive it. During Ben's 47 minutes on the pitch he was directly involved in the moves resulting in four tries including the one he scored himself. He made one superb kick from our 22 to beyond halfway, he put one box kick short and put another direct into touch after receiving a poor pass from the lineout, one box kick probably too long also, other kicks ok. To sum up we did better with him on the field than we did after he left.
Scott claims that in the Goldsmith stand they have christened Ben " Dilly Dally" it is possible for one vocal person to influence those around them particularly ones that haven't noticed that for more than three years they have been in the Matiola Woods Stand. We in the Crumbie are much more observant!
Excellent post John. With regard to the Manu incident according to the laws that Ben Kay tweeted Nigel got it spot on to sanction it only as a penalty as it was a case of mistiming and the player landed safely
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I do know it's the Mattoli Woods but "I" still call it the Goldsmith's and always will!
And are you more observant or is it the FACT that no one ever DARE criticize a Tigers player?!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Of course you are entitled to criticize any player you think, you have a right to your opinion, just as I and anyone else has a right to ours. Sorry if you missed my poor attempt to lighten it with humour by mentioning my seat in the Crumbie. You call it the Goldsmiths, I think of it as the Alliance & Leicester, the changing sponsorship of stands will never alter the way we think.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

I still think of it as the mound end, many happy teenage years spent operating the scoreboard
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

Scott1 wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:17 pm or is it the FACT that no one ever DARE criticize a Tigers player?!
Where on earth did you get that impression? Mine (and others) comments about your posts are about the frequency with which you single Ben Youngs out for a negative comment. Taken individually, most are fine. It's just the sheer number of them (more than you make about the rest of the squad and coaches combined, it feels like).