Borthwick

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Re: Borthwick

Post by Tiglon »

sapajo wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:33 am Confirmed by England Rugby on twitter Borthwick will not leave the RFU until November !!!! Means he will not get even get a preseason it's becoming a farce.
The way I interpret it (perhaps wrongly) is that the England Rugby social media people have been told to tweet that story, and due to the slightly ambiguous way it's written they have summarised it as leaving November.

I'm pretty hopeful he will still be joining us in the summer. Why would England want him to stay until just before the AIs? What would they be paying him to do?
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Sorry , Tigers badly need Borthwick ASAP the fact that we shall not get relegated has zilch to do with the reason we signed him. We signed him because of our poor quality coaching and nothing will change in that regard until he arrives.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

sapajo wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:49 am Sorry , Tigers badly need Borthwick ASAP the fact that we shall not get relegated has zilch to do with the reason we signed him. We signed him because of our poor quality coaching and nothing will change in that regard until he arrives.
And that's England's problem because.....
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

They also say "Steve Borthwick will leave his role with England at the end of the season with Jason Ryles joining in November." -
https://www.englandrugby.com/news/artic ... es-joining
Hehehehehehehehe
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

As do sky sports - https://www.skysports.com/rugby-union/n ... eplacement. Seem very likely that he will be here before the start of next season
Hehehehehehehehe
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

sapajo wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:49 am Sorry , Tigers badly need Borthwick ASAP the fact that we shall not get relegated has zilch to do with the reason we signed him. We signed him because of our poor quality coaching and nothing will change in that regard until he arrives.
Well yes, but we now need him less badly and less quickly than we did a week ago because we cannot be relegated this season. I'm surprised that's something that needs to be argued about :smt017

It would still be great to have him sooner, but the potential disaster this season has just been removed.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

It would be nice to get some clarification though not holding my breath
Coops
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Coops »

trendylfj wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:55 am They also say "Steve Borthwick will leave his role with England at the end of the season with Jason Ryles joining in November." -
https://www.englandrugby.com/news/artic ... es-joining
And when is the end of the season? May?

The new guy then starts in November. They don't need someone over the summer break.
happywomble

Post by happywomble »

Tiglon wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:40 am I think the end of England's season would be either after the 6N or after the summer tour of Japan. If you look on their website the fixtures are split into the same seasons as the club game, i.e. 2019/20 which ends after the Japan tour.

Borthwick's (sort of) replacement is joining "ahead of the Quilter Autumn internationals" so that implies Borthwick will leave in the summer at the latest.

I suspect that because of the Saracens situation, it became easier for Tigers and RFU to agree a summer date with Tigers no longer so desperate for him to come sooner.
Summer does make more sense. Although we have been crying out for Borthwick and his coaching skills, for him to come in mid-season and change thing may just cause disruption and confusion. It would be great to have him for the whole pre-season though, so we are ready to hit the ground running under his regime and plans/tactics.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Would be great for him to arrive ASAP but I read this to be at the end of the season, which traditionally used to be the end of April but has now crept into June :smt017

As other posters have said the lack of urgency has now disappeared, to a degree, but it could be down to the work that Deacon and Stanko are doing with the forwards, which despite many people’s misgivings has seen an improvement in performance since Bakewell left.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Mark62 wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:31 am Would be great for him to arrive ASAP but I read this to be at the end of the season, which traditionally used to be the end of April but has now crept into June :smt017

As other posters have said the lack of urgency has now disappeared, to a degree, but it could be down to the work that Deacon and Stanko are doing with the forwards, which despite many people’s misgivings has seen an improvement in performance since Bakewell left.
Agreed, also maybe a little less disruption for the current coaches may yet see them produce good rugby and results?
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:10 am https://www.englandrugby.com/news/artic ... es-joining

So looks like he might not be joining at all this season.....
I don't read it like this; it could be clearer but I think it is pretty clear from both Jones and Borthwick quotes; Jones talks about him leaving after this campaign which I take to be 6N; Borthwick talks about before the end of the season which again for me would after 6N. I think there will be something from the Club soon.
As Good As It Gets
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Scuttle wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:56 pm
Leicestertinytiger wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:10 am https://www.englandrugby.com/news/artic ... es-joining

I don't read it like this; it could be clearer but I think it is pretty clear from both Jones and Borthwick quotes; Jones talks about him leaving after this campaign which I take to be 6N; Borthwick talks about before the end of the season which again for me would after 6N. I think there will be something from the Club soon.
Maybe the exact date/month has not been agreed yet, hence the announcement being rather ambiguous on that point. Hopefully it will be set soon and Tigers can tell us all what's going on!
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

Something from the club soon? I love your optimism :smt003
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

Cagey Tiger wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:10 pm

Something from the club soon? I love your optimism :smt003
Confident, if wrong 😂😂
As Good As It Gets