Borthwick

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Re: Borthwick

Post by POSTIGER »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:14 pm excellent addition when confirmed highly rated and has experience of high level coaching outside of Tigers methods so will add a fresh perspective
100% agree.

I'm excited by this prospect. Think this could be an excellent appointment if true.
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

westwinds31 wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:44 am
Mark62 wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:24 pm Fabulous news if true.
Maybe a bit harsh on Bakewell, forwards seemed better against Exeter, assume he’s the one going.
Imagine it’ll be Murphy DOR , Borthwick, Head coach/forwards, Ford Backs

Given Bakewell’s track record of, “one good forwards game, then several unexplained poor games” I’d say we’re better off without him.

Again, I totally agree. I don't think Bakewell has done a particularly good job at all to be honest. Borthwick would be a huge improvement
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Excellent news. Borthwick will bring vast experience and is known to put in the graft to try to prepare the forwards to compete and deliver quick ball especially from line outs. Knows the Premiership and our England lads inside out. Bakewell will be able to concentrate, with Deacon, with aspects that Borthwick knows will have to improve to seriously compete at the top level again.
Well done Tigers. Now we just need our World Cup players stay fit!
Fordy has already played too much.
JWM
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by JWM »

Whatever the story - we’ll find out in due course - it’ll be part of the implementation of the Pat Howard review last Spring.

Borthers will bring Gnarl (and make our for sale Club a more attractive buy).
ST in new Clubhouse stand ... sadly, my back's no longer up to standing :-(
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

In London paper it says its a load of censored-
Borthwick allegedly says he is not leaving England. Maybe he is training to be a politician.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Ian Cant wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:17 pm Excellent news. Borthwick will bring vast experience and is known to put in the graft to try to prepare the forwards to compete and deliver quick ball especially from line outs. Knows the Premiership and our England lads inside out. Bakewell will be able to concentrate, with Deacon, with aspects that Borthwick knows will have to improve to seriously compete at the top level again.
Well done Tigers. Now we just need our World Cup players stay fit!
Fordy has already played too much.
Strange comment re Ford, it was always going to be that way once Eddie realised his best 10/12 was Ford/Farrell.
England are now at the stage where almost every game is a knockout. Have to beat Argentina to ensure qualification, need to beat France to top the group, I think England would rather play Australia than Wales, then its the quarters.
All 4 of the English tigers backs will be playing the majority of the time moving forward, but they now have a weeks break between games.
Slightly different for our 2 props imo, unless Mako pulls up lame again I think Genge will be holding bags, and Cole will be having 20 minute bursts at the end of games.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

If he is coming what will be his role?

I just don't see it as being a coach under Murphy - his experience is substantially greater and would be looking to step up with the long term aim of being England head coach. It would have to be head coach/DOR.

Mike Ford is being introduced on the TV coverage as Tigers' DOR. Will it be instead of him or instead of Murphy as head coach?

I just don't see it as a replacement for Bakewell unless it can be alongside his England role, but that still doesn't seem a promotion to me.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

I don't see Marler as the bench prop. He doesn't offer anything around the park in the way that Genge does against a tiring opposition side. (Frankly I don't think he scrummages as well either)

I'm not sure that Macko will be in Japan much longer - I get the impression this is a make or break game and if his hamstring isn't right it will likely let go and realistically it will end his world cup. Hope I am wrong.
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

mol2 wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:50 am If he is coming what will be his role?

I just don't see it as being a coach under Murphy - his experience is substantially greater and would be looking to step up with the long term aim of being England head coach. It would have to be head coach/DOR.

Mike Ford is being introduced on the TV coverage as Tigers' DOR. Will it be instead of him or instead of Murphy as head coach?

I just don't see it as a replacement for Bakewell unless it can be alongside his England role, but that still doesn't seem a promotion to me.
I suspect he will either come in as DOR or Murphy will step up to DOR and Borthwick will be Head Coach
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

mol2 wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:54 am I don't see Marler as the bench prop. He doesn't offer anything around the park in the way that Genge does against a tiring opposition side. (Frankly I don't think he scrummages as well either)

I'm not sure that Macko will be in Japan much longer - I get the impression this is a make or break game and if his hamstring isn't right it will likely let go and realistically it will end his world cup. Hope I am wrong.
I agree with you but it’s what Eddie thinks that counts and imo he sees Ellis as 3rd choice. I do agree that it’s Mako last shot today
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

you couldn't and wouldn't thumb your nose at Borthwick , however if we give Geordan a chance with a full pre season we should do the same with 'Bakes'....
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

kk20gb30 wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:26 pm you couldn't and wouldn't thumb your nose at Borthwick , however if we give Geordan a chance with a full pre season we should do the same with 'Bakes'....
Bakewell has been forwards coach for a season and a half before this season. He's also got this season pretty much as Borthwick isn't going to be able to drop in and start changing things mid season. We witnessed how difficult it is to make adjustments during the season last year.

Borthwick may tweak some things but it's also a chance to learn what's going on in areas of concern and formulate plans.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Last season Tigers as a team lost a lot of games in the last quarter implying a general lack of fitness, our forwards performed well at the lineout but our maul & drive from the lineout was not as good as we would have liked, the changes we have made to the squad suggest that the coaches think that was due to the players rather than the system. The matches so far this season with strong teams although lacking five possible first team forwards have shown an improvement in that area. The rumours regarding Borthwick may or may not be true but perhaps we should ask if he is proven at club level where he would have to work with only a small number of available players. He has been with England during the last four years wen they have had some success and whilst they have disappointed. I question just what he will bring to our already extensive coaching team, just how many different voices do the players need in their ears?
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Johnthegriff makes some excellent points.
It is very early days but having a planned co ordinated pre season, especially where fitness is concerned seems to be reaping dividends.
I remember reading a great post last season, which was saying that once the season is going that week between games is taken up with recovery and planning for the next game, all initial fitness work and finding a style of play to suit your squad should already have been done.
This wasn’t the case last season, but the early signs are that it has this.
As for Borthwick, Bakewell must be aware of the situation and must have accepted it otherwise he would have been on his bike.

No matter what I would think December would be the earliest we’ll see anything happen
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Sounding ever more likely, in todays Telegraph article about Steve Borthwick (some great insight about him from Flatman) it says he looks 'set to join Leicester Tigers after the world cup'!