Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

JP14
Super User
Super User

Re: Borthwick

Post by JP14 »

fleabane wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:30 pm
JP14 wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:13 pm That is what will happen, we need every coach we can get.
Too many cooks spoil the broth!

We need the right coaches, experienced, capable, committed. Not numbers.
Yes I meant quality not quantity, but neither bar Stanko and Ford we have neither.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

For anyone who doesn’t know Proudfoot coached the Boks in the World Cup.
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

[quote=JP14 post_id=729891 time=1575829311 user_id=12219]
For anyone who doesn’t know Proudfoot coached the Boks in the World Cup.
[/quote]

Yes, but isn't he the scrum coach?
So, if it is true, would he not be replacing Neal Hatley and not Borthwick?
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Ford snr seems to have garnered a bit more favour from many fans. Given our backs and attacking shape have been abysmal whilst he's been in charge of the attack I'm not really sure why though!
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

MurphysLaw wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:53 pm
JP14 wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:21 pm For anyone who doesn’t know Proudfoot coached the Boks in the World Cup.
Yes, but isn't he the scrum coach?
So, if it is true, would he not be replacing Neal Hatley and not Borthwick?
https://www.rugbypass.com/news/england- ... um-reports
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugby ... hwick.html

Apologies if this has been posted before. Claims that Borthwick will join Tigers once a replacement has been found.

Surely when recruiting such a key role (or any role) you should insist on a set start date? The short term uncertainty can't be good for anyone.
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

Tiglon wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:39 pm https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugby ... hwick.html

Apologies if this has been posted before. Claims that Borthwick will join Tigers once a replacement has been found.

Surely when recruiting such a key role (or any role) you should insist on a set start date? The short term uncertainty can't be good for anyone.
You also have to respect the new recruits notice period. If the RFU say he can’t go until a replacement is found, we either agree to that or go for another option, which presumably would be a second or even third choice. Surely if Tigers believe Borthwick is the best man for the job, it’s worth the wait instead of bringing in someone else just because they are available earlier?!
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Tiglon wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:39 pm https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugby ... hwick.html

I thought it was always post 6 nations, so is this not a case of if they find a replacement earlier then they will let him leave earlier?
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:46 pm

I thought it was always post 6 nations, so is this not a case of if they find a replacement earlier then they will let him leave earlier?
Sincerely hope so.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

TigerBoy1880 wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:44 pm

You also have to respect the new recruits notice period. If the RFU say he can’t go until a replacement is found, we either agree to that or go for another option, which presumably would be a second or even third choice. Surely if Tigers believe Borthwick is the best man for the job, it’s worth the wait instead of bringing in someone else just because they are available earlier?!
Of course you should respect a notice period, but that isn't what's happening here. If it's simply "England want me to stay until the end of Six Nations, then I can start" then fine - you know what's happening and can plan for it. How can you plan if you don't know when your new person will start? This is most likely why, at a critical point in the season, we have a coach leaving with immediate effect and a man taking over from temporarily who, if he was thought good enough to do the job, would already be doing it. Far from ideal.

I agree it's a tough position for the club to be in, but I have little sympathy because it's their decisions that have left them desperate for a new Head Coach in the middle of the season.

Sorry, but the whole thing just seems muddled and vague.
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

Tiglon wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:14 pm
TigerBoy1880 wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:44 pm

Of course you should respect a notice period, but that isn't what's happening here. If it's simply "England want me to stay until the end of Six Nations, then I can start" then fine - you know what's happening and can plan for it. How can you plan if you don't know when your new person will start? This is most likely why, at a critical point in the season, we have a coach leaving with immediate effect and a man taking over from temporarily who, if he was thought good enough to do the job, would already be doing it. Far from ideal.

I agree it's a tough position for the club to be in, but I have little sympathy because it's their decisions that have left them desperate for a new Head Coach in the middle of the season.

Sorry, but the whole thing just seems muddled and vague.
We still have a Head Coach
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

It clearly states in the rugbypass article he is expected to join after the six nations but could be released earlier if a suitable replacement is found. Seems pretty straightforward to me.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I’m struggling to think who Eddie Jones could get to replace him at England :smt017?

God help us if it’s Sanderson.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

JP14 wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:01 pm I’m struggling to think who Eddie Jones could get to replace him at England :smt017?

God help us if it’s Sanderson.
If it was announced tomorrow that Sanderson was coming to Leicester I would be delighted.
He has been the bedrock of that Saracens side, over paying players or not.
Great rugby brain and excellent communicator
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I just don’t think he would as good outside of the Saracens environment.