Borthwick

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Borthwick

Post by CitizenSmiff »

DingDong wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:58 am This i find both refreshing and honest form Murphy - “I imagine Steve will run, as soon as he feels comfortable, the on field side of it, putting the sessions of planning and the style of play, allowing me to take a step back and maybe do the things I’m more suited to, I’m very excited”. Hats off to him for finally admitting his short comings, I think his partnership with Borthwick (and Ford?) could be quite special for us, and as long as the players click we'll have a great next few seasons getting back to the top.
I would rather not have had to spend 18 months and a whole heap of cash stuck with a head coach who isn't suited to coaching, but ah well it's done now and we've got the right man for the job. Murphy to DoR I could take or leave, don't really think we need one but I'm also not putting myself forward as an expert on club admin.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

The rot started when the BoD refused to put money into coaching post MOC. We needed an injection of quality coaches but got either nothing or IMO useless appointments of Mauger/Hansen, then the second coming of MOC. A concatenation of disasters that IMO left the club in ruins. A lot has been done to put it back together again and we are beginning to see the benefits both in signings and the emergence of homegrown talent. Signing SB will hopefully boot this on. We have survived by the skin of our teeth BUT remember this has been caused by bad playing side management by the Board more than anything.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

CitizenSmiff wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:06 pm
DingDong wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:58 am This i find both refreshing and honest form Murphy - “I imagine Steve will run, as soon as he feels comfortable, the on field side of it, putting the sessions of planning and the style of play, allowing me to take a step back and maybe do the things I’m more suited to, I’m very excited”. Hats off to him for finally admitting his short comings, I think his partnership with Borthwick (and Ford?) could be quite special for us, and as long as the players click we'll have a great next few seasons getting back to the top.
I would rather not have had to spend 18 months and a whole heap of cash stuck with a head coach who isn't suited to coaching, but ah well it's done now and we've got the right man for the job. Murphy to DoR I could take or leave, don't really think we need one but I'm also not putting myself forward as an expert on club admin.
I guess what really matters is that Coaches (including the latest addition) and players are adamant that Geordie is very much a positive in their eyes.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

strawclearer wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:42 pm
I guess what really matters is that Coaches (including the latest addition) and players are adamant that Geordie is very much a positive in their eyes.
The most likeable leader isn't always the best leader.
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

Tiglon wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:48 pm

Nor are they always the worst leader, which you are probably inferring, based on your previous posts.

Pure speculation, but of the possible replacements available at the time of Geordie's appointment, who is to say that they would have done any better (or worse)?
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

My concern is that although Borthwick has come in as head coach, I had hoped he would in charge of all things rugby on the training field and pitch, but this quote is worrying ""Team selection is my remit; it will continue to be my remit," Murphy told BBC Radio Leicester."
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DingDong »

Murphy also said - "...but I take advice and I listen, it's a group decision". Have faith Chobbsy!
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

DingDong wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:35 pm Murphy also said - "...but I take advice and I listen, it's a group decision". Have faith Chobbsy!
He takes advice and listens then decides himself, IMHO it should be down to the head coach to have the final say, which I hope it actually turns out to be
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Who knows it could be a gradual transition of selection authority? And it’s like Murphy said it’s always a group consensus.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Cagey Tiger wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:42 pm
Nor are they always the worst leader, which you are probably inferring, based on your previous posts.

Pure speculation, but of the possible replacements available at the time of Geordie's appointment, who is to say that they would have done any better (or worse)?
I think you mean implying, but no, I don't think Geordie will be "the worst leader". My point is, you should not assume someone is the right man for the job just because those who work for him say he is. Haven't we been there before at Tigers? Do I recall a lot of the senior players wanting MOC to return, or have I just imagined that? Or was it Mauger?

Other options may have done better, they may have done worse. We'll never know. Similarly, we don't know what will happen in the future - GM/SB might be a huge success, they might not. While I hope it's the former and believe it will be, I don't think it's unreasonable to add a little caution to that viewpoint and understand that the latter is also a possibility.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Tiglon wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:58 pm
Cagey Tiger wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:42 pm

I think you mean implying, but no, I don't think Geordie will be "the worst leader". My point is, you should not assume someone is the right man for the job just because those who work for him say he is. Haven't we been there before at Tigers? Do I recall a lot of the senior players wanting MOC to return, or have I just imagined that? Or was it Mauger?

Other options may have done better, they may have done worse. We'll never know. Similarly, we don't know what will happen in the future - GM/SB might be a huge success, they might not. While I hope it's the former and believe it will be, I don't think it's unreasonable to add a little caution to that viewpoint and understand that the latter is also a possibility.
Jeez - I didn't say he was 'likeable' or not; 'better' or 'worse'!

I simply expressed the view that, from everything I'd heard, players who signed / re-signed and coaches who committed their immediate futures to us all respected Geordie and wanted to work with and for him.

That's all!
Truefollower
Tiger Cub

Post by Truefollower »

I cannot believe the continued negativity on here, we have made an appointment, adjusted the hierarchy and have a plan going forward. GM stepped up and did his best with an inferior squad. This season we recruited fairly well and without the interference of the world cup allowing a "normal" preseason I believe we would be better of league wise than we are. Why don't the pot half empty brigade go to the bar for a top-up and start again :smt023 .
aslongaswebeatsaints
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by aslongaswebeatsaints »

My three tuppence. I think Murphs has done a great service to the club in the last 18 months. Things have not been right for over 5 years but it was MOC who was a complete disaster, repeating what he’d just done at Leinster. This was compounded by an indecisive board becoming a decisive board (but being decisive about the wrong decisions!) and continued bad recruitment (though some bad luck as well with injuries) leaving us entering last season Ill prepared tactically and unfit / poorly conditioned.

I’m not convinced a top coach would have made much difference to be honest last season. And would a top coach want to walk in to that anyway? Perhaps a couple of places higher but not much more. But Murphs didn’t hesitate in tackling what was an utter xxxx sandwich, even if he knew the road was going to be rocky. In the meantime we had a clear out in the summer, the recruitment has been mainly excellent and concentrated exactly were it needed to be, the performances on the pitch are improving, it’s clear we are rebuilding the Tigers DNA of a big pack and the young players coming through are once more becoming the heartbeat towards future success. Yes, Murphs is not the finished article and we need that 5% extra that turns you from struggler to potential prem winner - but that’s were Borthwick now comes in as someone from outside with very recent Elite International experience and clear ambition who has been developed by one of the best coaches in the business. Yes, it would nice to have him earlier but top coaches don’t grow on trees, particularly in a World Cup year!

Yes, I have been a critic of Murphs at times, but mainly in the immediate disappointment of defeat. But I am now seeing lots of positives and can finally see there is a plan! Nearly got rid of my ST at the end of last year. Now very excited about what is coming....
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Thank you Truefollower and aslongaswebeatsaints - couldn't agree more!
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Truefollower wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:50 pm I cannot believe the continued negativity on here, we have made an appointment, adjusted the hierarchy and have a plan going forward. GM stepped up and did his best with an inferior squad. This season we recruited fairly well and without the interference of the world cup allowing a "normal" preseason I believe we would be better of league wise than we are. Why don't the pot half empty brigade go to the bar for a top-up and start again :smt023 .
aslongaswebeatsaints wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:51 pm My three tuppence. I think Murphs has done a great service to the club in the last 18 months. Things have not been right for over 5 years but it was MOC who was a complete disaster, repeating what he’d just done at Leinster. This was compounded by an indecisive board becoming a decisive board (but being decisive about the wrong decisions!) and continued bad recruitment (though some bad luck as well with injuries) leaving us entering last season Ill prepared tactically and unfit / poorly conditioned.

I’m not convinced a top coach would have made much difference to be honest last season. And would a top coach want to walk in to that anyway? Perhaps a couple of places higher but not much more. But Murphs didn’t hesitate in tackling what was an utter xxxx sandwich, even if he knew the road was going to be rocky. In the meantime we had a clear out in the summer, the recruitment has been mainly excellent and concentrated exactly were it needed to be, the performances on the pitch are improving, it’s clear we are rebuilding the Tigers DNA of a big pack and the young players coming through are once more becoming the heartbeat towards future success. Yes, Murphs is not the finished article and we need that 5% extra that turns you from struggler to potential prem winner - but that’s were Borthwick now comes in as someone from outside with very recent Elite International experience and clear ambition who has been developed by one of the best coaches in the business. Yes, it would nice to have him earlier but top coaches don’t grow on trees, particularly in a World Cup year!

Yes, I have been a critic of Murphs at times, but mainly in the immediate disappointment of defeat. But I am now seeing lots of positives and can finally see there is a plan! Nearly got rid of my ST at the end of last year. Now very excited about what is coming....
Both posts full of good points. We have been through some tough times over the past five or more years and now, at last, have something positive to hold on and look forward to :smt023