Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Re: Borthwick

Post by strawclearer »

MCC1964 wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:36 pm
strawclearer wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:28 pm
RagingBull wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:26 am https://inews.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/a ... ach-765827

Healey isn't a fan.
I suspect there's more than a grain of truth in what Healey says. Now that the relationship with his DoR has gone - in truth it was never there - I wonder who the 'mentor' for Borthwick will be. I think he'll need one.
We the DoR could hardly be his mentor as he needed mentoring himself...

I'm sure he has a long list of contacts he can call upon if required.
Your first point - we'll never know but I'm sure you're right.

Second point - I'm not sure a 'contact' is necessarily a suitable mentor but maybe there's one in there somewhere. Hope so.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

strawclearer wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:42 pm
strawclearer wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:28 pm
I suspect there's more than a grain of truth in what Healey says. Now that the relationship with his DoR has gone - in truth it was never there - I wonder who the 'mentor' for Borthwick will be. I think he'll need one.

Second point - I'm not sure a 'contact' is necessarily a suitable mentor but maybe there's one in there somewhere. Hope so.
Eddie Jones?
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

LE18 wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:45 pm
strawclearer wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:42 pm

Eddie Jones?
I would have preferred someone with current / recent club management experience although a professional mentor outside of rugby would be possible. Still - up to Borthwick himself to recognise if there's a need and take action to sort it.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Wonder if Ford Sr fills in the gap as a mentor, head coach experience of Bath & Toulon and coached Borthwick when the latter played for England?
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

I would be more worried if we didn't pick up outstanding attack and scrum coaches. The presence of Aled Walters cheers me up.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

RagingBull wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:26 am https://inews.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/a ... ach-765827

Healey isn't a fan.
To be fair many people are not a fan of Austin Healey.

The article doesn't make sense to me. I was reading an article the other day about Rob Baxter. And he sounds very much like Healey is describing in the article - constant, never let's up, high energy. And Baxter seems to have done alright.

He seems to suggest that Borthwick will get frustrated very quickly unless there is rapid progress. But again this doesn't really make sense and is not something that has come across in interviews.
BrightonTiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by BrightonTiger »

My opinion of Austin Healey is eloquently expressed by this quote from Thomas Sowell, the American Economist....

"Talkers are usually more eloquent than doers, since talk is their speciality".
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

ourla wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:54 pm

Healey isn't a fan.
To be fair many people are not a fan of Austin Healey.

The article doesn't make sense to me. I was reading an article the other day about Rob Baxter. And he sounds very much like Healey is describing in the article - constant, never let's up, high energy. And Baxter seems to have done alright.

He seems to suggest that Borthwick will get frustrated very quickly unless there is rapid progress. But again this doesn't really make sense and is not something that has come across in interviews.
People aren't a fan of Healy as they want him to be a Tigers cheerleader in his job and he calls it straight. He's been talking about the issues at Tigers for years but no one wanted to listen
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

Well results will be the judge of Borthwick's ability and our B.o.D ability to act decisively and in a timely manner. Could we survive relegation and if that looks a possibility at what point do the board take action.
I'm not cynical just experienced
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DingDong »

As Healey states "he’s a machine and he’s got an energy level and a desire that is constant and never lets up" - those qualities should be a foundation for every club, then balanced out with the other coaches will create an excellent mix for the squad - IMO!
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

Fast Eddy has only the highest regard for SB as a coach and whilst I loved Austin as a player and now in what he brings to his new media role he has never coached or managed a team and hence does not speak from experience. SB will rise or fall by results. He just needs to given a little time so we can see if he is the right man for the job.
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

DingDong wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:28 pm As Healey states "he’s a machine and he’s got an energy level and a desire that is constant and never lets up" - those qualities should be a foundation for every club, then balanced out with the other coaches will create an excellent mix for the squad - IMO!
Yeh I wonder what Healey would say about Cockers?

I do see where Healey is coming from, but Murphy had all the charisma in the world and it didn't seem to make the team that much better.
End of the day not all coaches are the same.
Some coaches have charisma
- Ackermann
- Robertson
- Lancaster
-Jones

Some are appear more as machines to the press
- McCall
- Baxter was someone I though was a bit robotic at first.
- Cullen

Some are both
- Cockers
- Gatland
- Hansen
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

A head coach’s primary role is not to be the players’ friend. Certainly they need to be able to nurture some and kick the behind of others. Time will tell if Borthwick has all of the qualities needed, or more importantly will he bring in those around him to cover his own gaps as coach and people manager.

Top level sport is about the detail: intensity should be a given.

If that isn’t acceptable to some players it leaves questions as to why? Things had to change, too many times over the last couple of seasons we have players looking indifferent to being beaten. I don’t mean shaking your opponent by the hand at the end of the game, more the shrugging of shoulders at conceding yet another soft try as if it didn’t matter.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Austin has always appeared anti Tigers IMO since he retired, I think he has a chip on his shoulders after not being given a coaching job here. He was a petulant player, I remember him stalking the touchline once, after he had been selected on the bench, gesticulating up into the Crumbie where the coach, (Cockers?) was sitting, basically demanding to be let onto the pitch, showing decent! He was a good player but I'm sure he has a chip.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Healy was an outstanding player and one who we could do with today. I watched him win many important games for us, including Stade in Paris.
The time he stormed up and down the Welford Road touchline was in the later stages of Bob Dwyers’ time at Tigers when sadly Dwyer had lost the players due to some reported over zealous criticism and strange selections.
Delano handled Oz brilliantly.
Oz was also a top bloke with kids when he helped at tournaments.
As for recent time Austin has made it known how “ it pains me to see my club struggling.”