Borthwick

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

northerntiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Borthwick

Post by northerntiger »

BFG wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:44 am The partnership will work just as long as they are all in agreement with player recruitment and selection
And is there any question that they won't be? That's as pointless a statement as saying the car will be fast, as long as someone remembers the petrol
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

I will put in my 2penneth if I can - Borthwick great appointment as Head Coach and IMHO it is right to move Smurph to DOR but as many people have mentioned, it is the division of responsibilities which will decide the success or failure of this structure. For me, HC decides training methods, style of play and crucially selection. No ifs or buts for me. DOR oversees the success or failure of what is happening, identifies what is needed to respond to HCs requests for players to retain or recruit and liaises with the BoDs. Fairly simple boundaries and I am sure that there will be other areas of responsibility but selection decisions must lay with the HC. - he sees which players are best at implementing is his plans day in day out - no objection to DOR having an input but the decision must be with the HC
Hehehehehehehehe
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

northerntiger wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:30 am
BFG wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:44 am The partnership will work just as long as they are all in agreement with player recruitment and selection
And is there any question that they won't be? That's as pointless a statement as saying the car will be fast, as long as someone remembers the petrol
You're actually wrong, in my opinion.
It's more a question of does the car have the right fuel mixture!
It's all yet to be proven.
If you're happy to accept it on face value then that's your choice.
Personally I'll congratulate when Leicester are competing for the big trophies once again.
I back the appointment of Borthwick (top coach) but winning or at least competing regularly for top trophies will be confirmation of everything.
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

trendylfj wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:52 am I will put in my 2penneth if I can - Borthwick great appointment as Head Coach and IMHO it is right to move Smurph to DOR but as many people have mentioned, it is the division of responsibilities which will decide the success or failure of this structure. For me, HC decides training methods, style of play and crucially selection. No ifs or buts for me. DOR oversees the success or failure of what is happening, identifies what is needed to respond to HCs requests for players to retain or recruit and liaises with the BoDs. Fairly simple boundaries and I am sure that there will be other areas of responsibility but selection decisions must lay with the HC. - he sees which players are best at implementing is his plans day in day out - no objection to DOR having an input but the decision must be with the HC
When Dean Richards was DOR, he wasn’t seen on the training pitch but still picked the team and did all of the interviews etc etc. We didn’t do too badly during his years at the club did we?!
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

TigerBoy1880 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:37 am
trendylfj wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:52 am I will put in my 2penneth if I can - Borthwick great appointment as Head Coach and IMHO it is right to move Smurph to DOR but as many people have mentioned, it is the division of responsibilities which will decide the success or failure of this structure. For me, HC decides training methods, style of play and crucially selection. No ifs or buts for me. DOR oversees the success or failure of what is happening, identifies what is needed to respond to HCs requests for players to retain or recruit and liaises with the BoDs. Fairly simple boundaries and I am sure that there will be other areas of responsibility but selection decisions must lay with the HC. - he sees which players are best at implementing is his plans day in day out - no objection to DOR having an input but the decision must be with the HC
When Dean Richards was DOR, he wasn’t seen on the training pitch but still picked the team and did all of the interviews etc etc. We didn’t do too badly during his years at the club did we?!
This is the normal situation in most clubs.
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DingDong »

This i find both refreshing and honest form Murphy - “I imagine Steve will run, as soon as he feels comfortable, the on field side of it, putting the sessions of planning and the style of play, allowing me to take a step back and maybe do the things I’m more suited to, I’m very excited”. Hats off to him for finally admitting his short comings, I think his partnership with Borthwick (and Ford?) could be quite special for us, and as long as the players click we'll have a great next few seasons getting back to the top.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

DingDong wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:58 am This i find both refreshing and honest form Murphy - “I imagine Steve will run, as soon as he feels comfortable, the on field side of it, putting the sessions of planning and the style of play, allowing me to take a step back and maybe do the things I’m more suited to, I’m very excited”. Hats off to him for finally admitting his short comings, I think his partnership with Borthwick (and Ford?) could be quite special for us, and as long as the players click we'll have a great next few seasons getting back to the top.
Completely agree (particularly with your last phrase!) except for "Hats off to him for finally admitting his short comings."

Geordie has recognised his shortcomings as a coach for some time, I believe. In any event, a number of older players - his contemporaries and friends - have been open with him in their 'constructive and forthright advice' as to where his skills lie!

Geordie was handed a poisoned chalice when he took over as Head Coach - a job that he knew he was ill-prepared and unsuited for. Hats off to him for taking it on and hats off to him that, right now, things are looking rosier than they have for some time!
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

strawclearer wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:35 am
DingDong wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:58 am This i find both refreshing and honest form Murphy - “I imagine Steve will run, as soon as he feels comfortable, the on field side of it, putting the sessions of planning and the style of play, allowing me to take a step back and maybe do the things I’m more suited to, I’m very excited”. Hats off to him for finally admitting his short comings, I think his partnership with Borthwick (and Ford?) could be quite special for us, and as long as the players click we'll have a great next few seasons getting back to the top.
Completely agree (particularly with your last phrase!) except for "Hats off to him for finally admitting his short comings."

Geordie has recognised his shortcomings as a coach for some time, I believe. In any event, a number of older players - his contemporaries and friends - have been open with him in their 'constructive and forthright advice' as to where his skills lie!

Geordie was handed a poisoned chalice when he took over as Head Coach - a job that he knew he was ill-prepared and unsuited for. Hats off to him for taking it on and hats off to him that, right now, things are looking rosier than they have for some time!
And as a consequence, Tigers under Murphy had their worse ever season on record finishing 11th and this season we may have got relegated save for the Sarries debacle. Hats off to him for taking it on and hats off to him that, right now, things are looking rosier than they have for some time!
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

Really pleased with the appointment of Borthwick, a bit of a coup for the club. SB seems like exactly the type of personality we need right now and hopefully Murphy will be happier and more effective in a more administrative role.

I've been very critical of the board in recent seasons but credit where credit is due, this feels like a big step in the right direction. If we could improve the S&C side of the club and the recruitment then we can get back to where we should be.
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

sapajo wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:59 am

And as a consequence, Tigers under Murphy had their worse ever season on record finishing 11th and this season we may have got relegated save for the Sarries debacle. Hats off to him for taking it on and hats off to him that, right now, things are looking rosier than they have for some time!
Given our recruitment on the playing and coaching side, I feel optimistic for the future. However, sapajo is right to point out that we did finish second bottom last season, and currently have won the fewest points in the league so far this season.

We've beaten a couple of poor teams in the last month or so, and appointed a very promising HC. This bodes well for the future, but things are not rosie just yet. Unless worst team in the league is where we aspire to be?

A lot of hard work still to be done. A lot. I hope the players and staff don't forget that as easily as some of the fans seem to. I look forward to us putting in a good shift against Bath, getting the win and moving up the table.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

POSTIGER wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:16 pm Really pleased with the appointment of Borthwick, a bit of a coup for the club. SB seems like exactly the type of personality we need right now and hopefully Murphy will be happier and more effective in a more administrative role.

I've been very critical of the board in recent seasons but credit where credit is due, this feels like a big step in the right direction. If we could improve the S&C side of the club and the recruitment then we can get back to where we should be.
You’re the second poster who has mentioned the S&C needs improvement, I’m interested to know why you feel this, as Exeter apart we have been the stronger second half team in all recent games.
Also wouldn’t you agree that the recruitment last summer was a lot stronger than recent seasons
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Tiglon wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:22 pm

Given our recruitment on the playing and coaching side, I feel optimistic for the future. However, sapajo is right to point out that we did finish second bottom last season, and currently have won the fewest points in the league so far this season.

We've beaten a couple of poor teams in the last month or so, and appointed a very promising HC. This bodes well for the future, but things are not rosie just yet. Unless worst team in the league is where we aspire to be?

A lot of hard work still to be done. A lot. I hope the players and staff don't forget that as easily as some of the fans seem to. I look forward to us putting in a good shift against Bath, getting the win and moving up the table.
From where we were when he took over, the fact that we're still in the Premiership is noteworthy! Did anyone really believe he would achieve some sort of miracle and return us to the pinnacle of the Premiership in his first season?

As to this season, I think Chris Egerton puts it rather well:

"While he [Borthwick] needs to bring the detail he doesn't need to massively change things in the short term, because quietly, almost unnoticed, things are starting to come together and the whole is starting to feel stronger than the individual parts, which hasn't happened for a long while."
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

strawclearer wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:37 pm
Tiglon wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:22 pm

From where we were when he took over, the fact that we're still in the Premiership is noteworthy! Did anyone really believe he would achieve some sort of miracle and return us to the pinnacle of the Premiership in his first season?

As to this season, I think Chris Egerton puts it rather well:

"While he [Borthwick] needs to bring the detail he doesn't need to massively change things in the short term, because quietly, almost unnoticed, things are starting to come together and the whole is starting to feel stronger than the individual parts, which hasn't happened for a long while."
Sorry, but when Geordie took over we had just finished 5th in the league and had lost the first game of the new season. At that point, if you had been asked if finishing 11th that season and being 11th halfway through the next season would be a "noteworthy" achievement or some kind of success, would you honestly have said yes? Or did you expect our new HC to do at least as well as MOC and at least be around the edge of the playoffs?

Did I expect Geordie to challenge for the title last season or this? No, but I did expect to be doing rather better than consistently 11th. Relegation from the Premiership was never a worry for Tigers until Murphy was HC. Fact.
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

Relegation from the Premiership was never a worry for Tigers until Murphy was HC. Fact.
Personally I think this happened or at leats started to happen under MOC, especially as he never bothered turning up for pre seaon!! Murphy job has been to try and stop us getting any worse. Its taken a while and it's hurt at times but I think what he's trying to do is finally working. He's been trying to rebuild something very broken, and the parts have not been easy to get hold of so it's taken time. If the Borthwick thing works and we start to move up the table then I will congratulate him, but also Murphy for sticking to his guns and not throwing the towel. Christ it would have been easy for him to do so.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

ads wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:00 pm
Relegation from the Premiership was never a worry for Tigers until Murphy was HC. Fact.
Personally I think this happened or at leats started to happen under MOC, especially as he never bothered turning up for pre seaon!! Murphy job has been to try and stop us getting any worse. Its taken a while and it's hurt at times but I think what he's trying to do is finally working. He's been trying to rebuild something very broken, and the parts have not been easy to get hold of so it's taken time. If the Borthwick thing works and we start to move up the table then I will congratulate him, but also Murphy for sticking to his guns and not throwing the towel. Christ it would have been easy for him to do so.
Agree with you about the long term future, some important pieces are starting to be put into place. However...

5th under MOC.

11th under GM.

When MOC was here we were all terrified of falling into mid-table obscurity. Now we pray for it.