Borthwick

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Re: Borthwick

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

ourla wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:28 pm I don't understand it to be honest - as in why you would withold the information.

Does it bother me? A little yes, because I am a fan and I am interested in how things are going. I don't need to know every detail.
3 reasons

1. Gives opposition less info on which players to prepare to face.

2. By not stating injury status a dropped player hasn't got the 'dropped' stigma round them.

3. Rugby players are almost always carrying some knock. A player 50:50 player can be targeted for big hits but only IF they're known about. Recovery schedules are very fluid etc.

Certainly England do a bit of the same, it's only with squad announcements we find stuff out. So the fact Marler was in the 25 earlier in the week suggested Mako OR Ellis was carrying something, do we know who or what, no...
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

Tiger Feet Steve ------ the best answer possible . 100% correct.!!
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

We now have an era of transparency at the club. We are given updates and Bondi sources the information at all levels in LTTV.
So the media has effectively been made redundant.
"If you cannot source a good story - create one"
:smt005
BrightonTiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by BrightonTiger »

If I buy a copy of the Northampton Chronicle to line the bottom of my birdcage, according to Tom Vickers, that entitles me to know his medical details and why he has been passed over for promotion.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:20 am. So the fact Marler was in the 25 earlier in the week suggested Mako OR Ellis was carrying something, do we know who or what, no...
I don’t think this is the case. As an away match it normal to take a limited number travelling reserves one of whom is a prop. Even pre C19 it wasn’t unusual for a 25 man squad to be announced, particularly for the overseas fixtures.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

The other reason not to disclose who is and isn't fit is to avoid helping the opposition know what the likely game plan will be.

Would you pick a lightweight fly half and inside centre if you know a Manu is playing against you? You might but you would probably plan a different defensive structure. Not all absences are as extreme. It would be risky to bring your full back up into the defensive line if the opposition fly half is a quality kicker and kickicking to Jonny May or other speedster. Sides plan for all eventualities but if they know the juggernaght is playing rather than the speedster - the selection and structure may change.

So why help the opposition?
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

mol2 wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:45 am So why help the opposition?
Exactly. It’s all (potential) marginal gains.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:20 am
ourla wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:28 pm I don't understand it to be honest - as in why you would withold the information.

Does it bother me? A little yes, because I am a fan and I am interested in how things are going. I don't need to know every detail.
3 reasons

1. Gives opposition less info on which players to prepare to face.

2. By not stating injury status a dropped player hasn't got the 'dropped' stigma round them.

3. Rugby players are almost always carrying some knock. A player 50:50 player can be targeted for big hits but only IF they're known about. Recovery schedules are very fluid etc.

Certainly England do a bit of the same, it's only with squad announcements we find stuff out. So the fact Marler was in the 25 earlier in the week suggested Mako OR Ellis was carrying something, do we know who or what, no...
Respectfully I disagree on all counts.

On #1 I think if you are playing Exeter or the All Blacks - in fact most fairly successful teams - you know almost exactly what you will be facing regardless of the precise 15/23 lining up against you. And with rugby as it is the chances are the personnel will change as the week and as the game goes on. You can't train all week to a set line up. And other teams will know long term injuries anyway, you can't hide a broken arm or an ACL injury. Short term injuries are uncertain. A coach isn't going to be able to commit either way on those too much anyway. So you can't train to it.

Which kind of brings us to #3. You are going to get the hits whatever happens on you shouldn't be on the pitch if the physio's don't think you are up to it. Legitimate tackles are to be expected and these days all the camera's and TMO's are checking for cheap shots. Are players going to risk a red card to potentially take out an opponent. Plus more often than not those tactics back fire. So whilst it's something that used to be a thing and still talked about occasionally I think it makes no odds unless you are genuinely sending players out with significant injuries.

Re: #2 if the coach thinks he's protecting players like this then he's deluded. The coach should have confidence in the team he is selecting and the player should have confidence in the coach. And they should have had a dialogue. If you follow football Leicester player Mendy was struggling to get in the team and was almost out of the door but got another chance because he couldn't be sold and they had an injury. And he's been brilliant. At the moment Perez is out. The Manager has been completely open about it. He'll either knuckle down and take his next opportunity, or he won't.

A lot of this boils down to whether the club/team is in a good place or not. It's basically being ultra defence not talking to the press about it.

All IMHO, let's see how it pans out.
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

I'm not much of a poker player but I wouldn't mind a hand or two with anybody who thinks it's a good idea to show the rest of the table their cards as they're dealt.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DingDong »

h's dad wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:54 pm I'm not much of a poker player but I wouldn't mind a hand or two with anybody who thinks it's a good idea to show the rest of the table their cards as they're dealt.
Well played H's Dad! :smt023
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

At a bit of a tangent, but I do wish we would not help opposition kickers by standing where the ball will land if it is accurate. This gives ball - posts - receiver all in a line and is jolly helpful.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Old Hob wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:27 pm At a bit of a tangent, but I do wish we would not help opposition kickers by standing where the ball will land if it is accurate. This gives ball - posts - receiver all in a line and is jolly helpful.
So if you don't defend the post area and the opposition penalty kick at goal lands just wide/short you give the kickers team a better chance of securing the ball :smt017 Not sure that would be sensible.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

I think the perfect example of this not telling people that Taufua is ahead of schedule. Now we have surprised the opposition having an X factor player on the bench. Some Irish players may be having a few nervous thoughts about him rather than having time to process and properly prepare. I'm not saying it'll be much but every little helps
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

Personally I care not a jot if he says nowt. Results is all I’m bothered about. Deano was and is hardly effusive when it comes to dealing with the press and he’s an absolute legend.
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

MCC1964 wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:02 pm Personally I care not a jot if he says nowt. Results is all I’m bothered about. Deano was and is hardly effusive when it comes to dealing with the press and he’s an absolute legend.
+1
I'm not cynical just experienced