Borthwick

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Re: Borthwick

Post by strawclearer »

RagingBull wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:26 pm Borthwick was signed a while ago.

Nothing to do with Saracens
:smt023
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

WhitecapTiger wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:55 pm
strawclearer wrote:
:smt003 My initials are not SC. They're SB
Welcome on board Mr Borthwick, could you please confirm your arrival date? :smt002

Unless you mean S Barnes...inwhich case.....off :smt003
How very dare you! :smt019 S. Barnes indeed!
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

As I said, seems like a massive coincidence that it's announced the same week that are survival is guaranteed. I don't doubt that the contract was signed a while ago, just that there may have been a relegation get-out clause in it...
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

RagingBull wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:49 pm Some comments from Murphy

allowing me to take a step back and maybe do the things I’m more suited to,
I wonder what he was feeling when he spoke those words, pain or relief.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

anz3001 wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:23 pm
RagingBull wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:49 pm Some comments from Murphy

allowing me to take a step back and maybe do the things I’m more suited to,
I wonder what he was feeling when he spoke those words, pain or relief.
Judging by the recent interview where he talked through his standard working week I'd imagine it was the relief of man overcoming a decade of crippling constipation.
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

Cardiff Tig wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:07 pm

As I said, seems like a massive coincidence that it's announced the same week that are survival is guaranteed. I don't doubt that the contract was signed a while ago, just that there may have been a relegation get-out clause in it...
I doubt there was any such clause.

To take the job on he must believe he can get Tigers back to where they belong. He will have had a long look at the club and the players and he would be a fool to take the job on if he didn't have a lot of confidence that it was more a case of putting the flesh on the bones than anything else.

I suspect that he will start to have input once the six nations if finished. He has no direct involvement in England's next set of games so no real need to stick around.
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Relief that it has finally come to pass,now the man has to produce.Welcome and best of luck Steve B.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

Here’s some questions answered from Murphy.

"When will he arrive?" - “we don’t know definitively, Steve has international commitments he needs to fulfill. We’re hoping it’s asap”

"How will your role change?"

“I imagine Steve will run, as soon as he feels comfortable, the on field side of it, putting the sessions of planning and the style of play, allowing me to take a step back and maybe do the things I’m more suited to, I’m very excited”

"Did you want to become the Director of Rugby and no longer the Head Coach?"

Murphy "100%, it's something I pushed for, I was keen to have somebody of Steve's calibre on board"

Murphy says he will continue to pick the team: "Team selection at the moment is my remit, and that won't change. But I take advice and I listen, it's a group decision.

"In theory I am his boss, but we have not discussed it in that manner. It's more of a partnership.

Murphy: "Steve will run the rugby department, and I will assist in what goes on there, and the areas I have experience in, I will take the lead on that - and I will be supported by Steve.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Because it was.

No club in the world would sign a head coach with a relegation clause, unless it was a clause for said club to sack them.
Last edited by RagingBull on Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Murphy and Tigers are in denial why appoint Borthwick and leave Murphy given his track record to run riot. ?
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

The idea of a HC in charge of training and style of play, with a DoR in charge of selection sounds very strange...
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Tiglon wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:52 pm The idea of a HC in charge of training and style of play, with a DoR in charge of selection sounds very strange...
Agreed .
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

Tiglon wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:52 pm The idea of a HC in charge of training and style of play, with a DoR in charge of selection sounds very strange...
I’d imagine it looks like this.

Murphy sets his vision of how he wants Tigers to play. Borthwick then coaches the players and sets training to match that vision. Murphy will be present at training sessions so he can then pick the team for the weekend.
Mo Leicester

Post by Mo Leicester »

I seems fairly clear to me that there has been an agreement in place for many months that he would join after the six nations.

I also read that he has to give 3 months notice.

Hence the timing of handing in notice and announcing new appointment 3 months before the end of the six nations.

It's only right and proper that neither SB, Tigers or the RFU would make any announcement before the formalities are in place.
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

RagingBull wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:41 pm

Because it was.

No club in the world would sign a head coach with a relegation clause, unless it was a clause for said club to sack them.
I disagree when it's a new coach joining. Not so much as a relegation clause, more that it wasn't finalised until it was confirmed. There's a huge difference between taking on a club that needs rebuilding in the premiership and one that needs rebuilding in the championship.

I have serious doubts that a relatively new coach looking to prove himself as a head coach would look to join a team had been relegated into a semi professional championship and would be more focused on shipping players out to cut the wage bill than how to improve the club.

You say coincidence...