Borthwick

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Re: Borthwick

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:10 pm Why are people going on about November? The RFU said he leaves at the end of this season, November is in the middle of next season he won’t still be with England then
It seems like there are conflicting reports:

Steve Borthwick to join Leicester Tigers as head coach after England duties end:

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/rug ... 94036.html

Steve Borthwick to join Leicester as head coach after Six Nations:

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/ ... -1.4146590

and finally, the RFU have confirmed that Steve Borthwick will leave the England coaching set-up at the end of the season, with Jason Ryles joining from rugby league as a skills coach in November.

Interpret all of this as you will and this is where the confusion lies.

The one that seems to clarify matters more than any is the following:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/ ... ter-tigers

Which states: Borthwick will leave his post as No 2 to Eddie Jones before the July tour to Japan, meaning the Six Nations match against Italy on 14 March will be his final game with England.

So end of the Premiership season and before the July tour (which are both after the 6 Nations) seems to suggest to me that he will be joining us full time May/June time. Clearly sooner the better and were he to arrive with a few fixtures still remaining this season that would be an even bigger bonus imo.

Hope this helps clarify things a bit :smt023
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Mark62 wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:17 pm
sapajo wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:38 am
MCC1964 wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:06 am

That clearly wasn’t your point. And we don’t yet know that he won’t be here.
Wrong that clearly was my point and you don't know that he will be here either .
Maybe you would like to make your point clearly and what you would be doing instead of what has been announced.

As a boss of mine once said, don’t give me problems give me solutions
No and thanks for letting me know that your boss was clearly aware of your problematic weakness
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

sapajo wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:18 am
strawclearer wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:13 am Apparently, the RFU have said he isn’t going to Japan - more good news.

It should be said - Simon Cohen worked tirelessly on this - first to get the deal done some time ago and, more recently, to get the earliest possible start date. It may not be the 'done thing' on this forum but :smt038 :smt038 :smt038 to our CEO!
As you know so much are you Simon Cohen?
You might very well think that; I couldn't possibly comment!

:smt003 My initials are not SC. They're SB.

My understanding is that Borthwick will not be going to Japan so I'm hoping/guessing he'll have a break after the 6N and be with us in plenty of time for pre-season.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:28 pm
Jimmy Skitz wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:10 pm Why are people going on about November? The RFU said he leaves at the end of this season, November is in the middle of next season he won’t still be with England then

Steve Borthwick to join Leicester Tigers as head coach after England duties end:

and finally, the RFU have confirmed that Steve Borthwick will leave the England coaching set-up at the end of the season, with Jason Ryles joining from rugby league as a skills coach in November.

Which states: Borthwick will leave his post as No 2 to Eddie Jones before the July tour to Japan, meaning the Six Nations match against Italy on 14 March will be his final game with England.

So end of the Premiership season and before the July tour (which are both after the 6 Nations) seems to suggest to me that he will be joining us full time May/June time. Clearly sooner the better and were he to arrive with a few fixtures still remaining this season that would be an even bigger bonus imo.

yes and well before November which some was only mentioned as that's when the new England skills coach is contractually able to start work, yet some how that became when Borthwick will join Tigers
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

sapajo wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:40 pm
Mark62 wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:17 pm
sapajo wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:38 am

Wrong that clearly was my point and you don't know that he will be here either .
Maybe you would like to make your point clearly and what you would be doing instead of what has been announced.

As a boss of mine once said, don’t give me problems give me solutions
No and thanks for letting me know that your boss was clearly aware of your problematic weakness
Good to know you’re happy to rant on with no substance what so ever, you must be a load of fun at parties.
And FYI that’s a very well known saying but what would you know doing your Ostrich impression
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

RagingBull wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:03 pm Why S&C?
Our fitness isn't where it should be to compete with the best, as witnessed by our often very pronounced inability to kill off games.
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

[quote=OakhamTiger32 post_id=734287 time=1579613308 user_id=27798]
[quote="Jimmy Skitz" post_id=734286 time=1579612210 user_id=7880]
Why are people going on about November? The RFU said he leaves at the end of this season, November is in the middle of next season he won’t still be with England then
[/quote]

[b]Steve Borthwick to join Leicester Tigers as head coach after England duties end:
[/b]

[b]Steve Borthwick to join Leicester as head coach after Six Nations:[/b]

and finally, the RFU have confirmed that Steve Borthwick will leave the England coaching set-up at the end of the season, [b]with Jason Ryles joining from rugby league as a skills coach in November[/b].

Which states:[b] Borthwick will leave his post as No 2 to Eddie Jones before the July tour to Japan, meaning the Six Nations match against Italy on 14 March will be his final game with England.[/b]

[/quote]

Thanks Oakham Tiger for the summary.
One you missed was the quote from Eddie Jones which I posted earlier - he will leave..... 'following the current campaign'....

It's all as clear as mud!
Of course, Tigers could have clarified things with their announcement this morning.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

CitizenSmiff wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:10 pm
RagingBull wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:03 pm Why S&C?
Our fitness isn't where it should be to compete with the best, as witnessed by our often very pronounced inability to kill off games.
I would put money on that being more about mentality rather than fitness.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

MurphysLaw wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:12 pm
OakhamTiger32 wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:28 pm

Thanks Oakham Tiger for the summary.
One you missed was the quote from Eddie Jones which I posted earlier - he will leave..... 'following the current campaign'....

It's all as clear as mud!
Of course, Tigers could have clarified things with their announcement this morning.
Hadn't seen that one so thanks. You are right.. if it is that simple why don't they just say so to avoid all the speculation/confusion!
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
clarkey80
Tiger Cub

Post by clarkey80 »

I'm feeling really positive about this appointment - but a part of me wonders if the timing had anything to do with Sarries' relegation - now it is known we will be playing in the GP next season - any fear that he was unwilling to commit until then?
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

clarkey80 wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:37 pm I'm feeling really positive about this appointment - but a part of me wonders if the timing had anything to do with Sarries' relegation - now it is known we will be playing in the GP next season - any fear that he was unwilling to commit until then?
Possibly and you couldn’t fault him if that was the case. But we’ll never know now and it no longer matters
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

strawclearer wrote:
:smt003 My initials are not SC. They're SB
Welcome on board Mr Borthwick, could you please confirm your arrival date? :smt002

Unless you mean S Barnes...inwhich case.....off :smt003
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

MCC1964 wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:47 am
sapajo wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:26 am Strikes me as very odd that it was posted on this forum back in Oct/Nov when folks thought Borthwick would join post 6 N that he had to give six mths notice?

In which case how has that now stretched out until October,
when Borthwick has clearly been signed up months ago??
Why in the heck does this matter? It was clearly an agreement between the club, the RFU, Borthwick and EJ. End of.
You also have to remember that the Saracens announcement guarantees that we will be staying in the premiership. Seems too much of a coincidence otherwise - Borthwick was only going to join a premiership team, not a championship one.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Borthwick was signed a while ago.

Nothing to do with Saracens
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Some comments from Murphy

Murphy says the team are "always looking to add" to their coaching staff.

"At the moment we are happy with where we are at, and have been building nicely with the group we have. We will see if anyone else is on the market and make those adjustments when necessary."

"How will your role change?"

“I imagine Steve will run, as soon as he feels comfortable, the on field side of it, putting the sessions of planning and the style of play, allowing me to take a step back and maybe do the things I’m more suited to, I’m very excited”