Borthwick

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Coleshillad
Top Cat
Top Cat

Re: Borthwick

Post by Coleshillad »

At the moment, relegation is only just around the corner, so players like Genge, Ford, May and Tuilagi must already have, in the back of their minds, an idea where they are want to be in the next 4 - 6 months. They are all good enough to play in any premiership side, and will not want to be languishing at the bottom of that table at this stage of their careers. It's also unthinkable for any them to playing in the championship, and that's not going to happen. Dan Cole may stay on relegation, but he could be considered by a number of clubs in the premiership, and perhaps, a big perhaps, the same could be said about Ben. Having watched all the other clubs play, Tigers are going to struggle to get the points to evade relegation, unless there is a huge improvement in their performances. I don't think I'm being overly negative, or pessimistic. A lot of people on this site must have seen enough to see that relegation as a very realistic end to this season. Now to Borthwick, the main theme of this thread. Is he coming, or isn't he. It's been discussed for weeks now, almost months. To me, the biggest question is, if he did a few weeks ago, does he still want to come to Leicester. Does he want to be involved with a club staring relegation in the face.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Coleshillad wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 10:38 pm At the moment, relegation is only just around the corner, so players like Genge, Ford, May and Tuilagi must already have, in the back of their minds, an idea where they are want to be in the next 4 - 6 months. They are all good enough to play in any premiership side, and will not want to be languishing at the bottom of that table at this stage of their careers. It's also unthinkable for any them to playing in the championship, and that's not going to happen. Dan Cole may stay on relegation, but he could be considered by a number of clubs in the premiership, and perhaps, a big perhaps, the same could be said about Ben. Having watched all the other clubs play, Tigers are going to struggle to get the points to evade relegation, unless there is a huge improvement in their performances. I don't think I'm being overly negative, or pessimistic. A lot of people on this site must have seen enough to see that relegation as a very realistic end to this season. Now to Borthwick, the main theme of this thread. Is he coming, or isn't he. It's been discussed for weeks now, almost months. To me, the biggest question is, if he did a few weeks ago, does he still want to come to Leicester. Does he want to be involved with a club staring relegation in the face.
I'd imagine Borthwick would relish the chance to be seen as the man that rescued Tigers. Big name in the game with a rich history, would be a big plus on his CV. If his end goal is England head coach and Lions coach then 3/4 years at Tigers rejuvenating us would help that along nicely.

If I were him and watching the Chiefs game I'd be looking at the first half and thinking "if they can do that to Exeter they should be able to blow some teams away". It'll be a case of tightening things up, like the lineout where he is a well known expert, and bringing in a game plan to ensure no more second half displays. There's plenty to work with at Tigers.
Coleshillad
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Coleshillad »

sam16111986 wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:03 am
Coleshillad wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 10:38 pm At the moment, relegation is only just around the corner, so players like Genge, Ford, May and Tuilagi must already have, in the back of their minds, an idea where they are want to be in the next 4 - 6 months. They are all good enough to play in any premiership side, and will not want to be languishing at the bottom of that table at this stage of their careers. It's also unthinkable for any them to playing in the championship, and that's not going to happen. Dan Cole may stay on relegation, but he could be considered by a number of clubs in the premiership, and perhaps, a big perhaps, the same could be said about Ben. Having watched all the other clubs play, Tigers are going to struggle to get the points to evade relegation, unless there is a huge improvement in their performances. I don't think I'm being overly negative, or pessimistic. A lot of people on this site must have seen enough to see that relegation as a very realistic end to this season. Now to Borthwick, the main theme of this thread. Is he coming, or isn't he. It's been discussed for weeks now, almost months. To me, the biggest question is, if he did a few weeks ago, does he still want to come to Leicester. Does he want to be involved with a club staring relegation in the face.
I'd imagine Borthwick would relish the chance to be seen as the man that rescued Tigers. Big name in the game with a rich history, would be a big plus on his CV. If his end goal is England head coach and Lions coach then 3/4 years at Tigers rejuvenating us would help that along nicely.

If I were him and watching the Chiefs game I'd be looking at the first half and thinking "if they can do that to Exeter they should be able to blow some teams away". It'll be a case of tightening things up, like the lineout where he is a well known expert, and bringing in a game plan to ensure no more second half displays. There's plenty to work with at Tigers.
I cannot disagree with that, and I hope you are right.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Coleshillad wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:36 am
sam16111986 wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:03 am

I cannot disagree with that, and I hope you are right.
I hope I'm right and he's coming in soon. Was hoping for a Christmas present announcement from the club.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

But if the RFU can’t find a replacement and he wants to be a future England coach, he can’t just jettison now, it’s all a bit of a frustrating and unfortunate situation.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

As a club and as a business we cant just sit on our hands and wait for something that isn't going to happen , the speculation and uncertainty does no one any good.
Personally , I think (who ever is in charge) we need one win from the next two games , otherwise its curtains barring ring fencing.Fingers crossed for us .
See you Twickenham on the 28th.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Tigers can not afford to wait for Borthwick unless they win their next 2 or 3 games which is unlikely on current form.

At present there isn’t the capacity to put us together as a team let alone the tactical understanding of how to beat teams that look as good as you on paper. It’s worrying that we have not improved in more than a year and those with the power lack the strength to take the required action now seem to be content to sit and wait when that might see us beyond rescue.
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

Saints sacked Mallinder in mid December and had Chris Boyd by the end of Jan, Bristol announced Lamm within a month of Robinson leaving, Glos shipped Fisher on in March and had Ackermann done on the 3rd of April. Same with Quins, Kingston out 9th of April, Gustard in 21st of May. How come then that we always seem to end up in a mad web of legalities and secrecy when other clubs just go out and get the job done. It's incredibly frustrating and a massive dis-incentive to keep ploughing money into an organisation that doesn't respect its fans.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

CitizenSmiff wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:35 am Saints sacked Mallinder in mid December and had Chris Boyd by the end of Jan, Bristol announced Lamm within a month of Robinson leaving, Glos shipped Fisher on in March and had Ackermann done on the 3rd of April. Same with Quins, Kingston out 9th of April, Gustard in 21st of May. How come then that we always seem to end up in a mad web of legalities and secrecy when other clubs just go out and get the job done. It's incredibly frustrating and a massive dis-incentive to keep ploughing money into an organisation that doesn't respect its fans.
Question when did Boyd, Lamm and Ackermann actually join their clubs though?
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

I didn't say that they were in the hot seat straight away did I, just that the deal was done and announced. Massively preferable to the media blackout we're currently stumbling through most would agree.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Yes and not having to try and get a early release makes things a lot more simple.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

RagingBull wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:04 pm Yes and not having to try and get a early release makes things a lot more simple.
True, but one would assume that such obstacles would have been recognised and circumvented behind closed doors so to speak.More and more is it now becoming a case of 'if' and not 'when' ?
Should this be the case I do fear for us as currently I can't see us rescuing ourselves with our present backroom staff as is.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

kk20gb30 wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:41 pm
RagingBull wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:04 pm Yes and not having to try and get a early release makes things a lot more simple.
True, but one would assume that such obstacles would have been recognised and circumvented behind closed doors so to speak.More and more is it now becoming a case of 'if' and not 'when' ?
Should this be the case I do fear for us as currently I can't see us rescuing ourselves with our present backroom staff as is.
It is being done behind closed doors. Where have Tigers said anything about Borthwick coming to us?
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

TigerBoy1880 wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:14 am
kk20gb30 wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:41 pm
It is being done behind closed doors. Where have Tigers said anything about Borthwick coming to us?
Hardly done in private .More the term open secret - or so it would appear.Perhaps better if it had been done in private initially.
As for Tigers not mentioning anything ....really , get real please - our public relations are still in the Dark Ages.
There is such a thing as a denial (which incidentally, a lot of our fans still seem to be in a state of) - if indeed applicable ; reason being , for me at least, the last thing we need is to left in limbo.We are not in a good place right now.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

https://inews.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/l ... ip-1355200

“The club have said we’ll aspire to get the best into the room. People like him [Borthwick] would be that.” And Leicester’s chief executive Simon Cohen said: “He [Borthwick] is an outstanding young coach and I think he would bring a huge amount to our coaching team.”

Soooo what do people make of that.
First time the people at the have talked about Borthwick to the press I think.