Borthwick

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Re: Borthwick

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

I am beginning to think relegation might be what we need.
Really don't want that & it would be bad for the professional game, but if it is the only way to get the reset button to be pressed & work so be it.
We would then see which players actually want to play for Tigers rather than not earn their salaries.

I personally think GM will make a good DOR in the style of Deano, it's what is underneath that matters.
The BOD have been a joke for sometime, but they do appear to have got the academy back on track, just the first team & the PR to sort....
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

The most difficult opponent Tigers have to face isn’t Wasps or Exeter, Saracens or London Irish, it is the egos of the Board members. They have got it wrong, so often on the coaching front, they cannot admit they have got it wrong again. Not least because they were told at the time by so many supporters at the time that they had erred.

Or if they really believe they have got it right with a Head Coach who has won 3 of his last 16 premiership games, what playing record would have them park their egos, and admit that they have got it wrong again: 3/17, 3/18, 3/19. 3/20?

Beware dangerous rocks ahead.
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

The problem I see, for those who are starting to think that relegation might be a blessing in disguise if it hits a reset button, is that the costs of running the stadium will not change just because we've gone down a level, and if it is to be the glorious return to the premiership the following year envisaged by some we'll need to keep the balance of the squad so little or no saving there. This is a problem because, well, attendance will go down if we're not premiership, there are fans who already don't turn up compared to a few years ago. Additionally, it's likely that ticket prices will have to drop to prevent the exodus reaching truly embarrassing levels. If we go down and don't come straight back up I fear for the future of the club, I still fear if we do come straight back up as pogoing between the leagues for a few seasons will have a similar effect, because I can see the whole enterprise becoming financially unviable so easily.
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

If we go down and don’t come back up then yeh it’s obvious things will turn to poop. That’s stating the obvious.

On money wise isn’t there a parachute payment for the first year? £1.7 million if you have the England players wages on top of that I reckon that would be about £2 million as well.

Potential £3.7 million extra funds.
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:55 pm I am beginning to think relegation might be what we need.
Really don't want that & it would be bad for the professional game, but if it is the only way to get the reset button to be pressed & work so be it.
We would then see which players actually want to play for Tigers rather than not earn their salaries.

I personally think GM will make a good DOR in the style of Deano, it's what is underneath that matters.
The BOD have been a joke for sometime, but they do appear to have got the academy back on track, just the first team & the PR to sort....
I mean this politely but what makes you think GM will make a good DOR? If skills coach is beyond your capability then surely DOR is way beyond?
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

POSTIGER wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:29 pm
Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:55 pm I am beginning to think relegation might be what we need.

I mean this politely but what makes you think GM will make a good DOR? If skills coach is beyond your capability then surely DOR is way beyond?
By the time players get to Tigers they either will have the skills or won't, you can coach body position, attacking moves, but you either have the skills or you don't & tbh in English rugby in the main we don't, size over skill far too often.
Has Deano ever done any coaching? directing yes.
Using the skills position to beat GM with is a red herring, as the saying goes your can't polish.....
The poor substitutions have been an issue a Tigers for some considerable time RC was utterly clueless with them.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

RagingBull wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:15 pm If we go down and don’t come back up then yeh it’s obvious things will turn to poop. That’s stating the obvious.

On money wise isn’t there a parachute payment for the first year? £1.7 million if you have the England players wages on top of that I reckon that would be about £2 million as well.

But will that be enough for us to keep hold of the squad and rebuild the coaching set up in light of reduced revenue?
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

non possumus capere
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Crofty wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:06 pm
RagingBull wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:15 pm If we go down and don’t come back up then yeh it’s obvious things will turn to poop. That’s stating the obvious.

But will that be enough for us to keep hold of the squad and rebuild the coaching set up in light of reduced revenue?
Depends how much revenue is lost...
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Tiglon wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:02 pm

What makes you think we would have any England players if we are relegated? How many Championship players are currently in the England squad? None!
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

LE18 wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:19 pm
Tiglon wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:02 pm

What makes you think we would have any England players if we are relegated? How many Championship players are currently in the England squad? None!
When we faced the drop last season the RFU just happened to publicly state that they would pick from teams in the championship if they had players they wanted. Buying 6 of their EPS players out of contracts would be too costly for them.

Of course we could let Cole, Ford, Genge, May, Tuilagi and Youngs, B go cheaply but I don't think that would help us secure promotion back to the premiership nor would it help us stay there if we did...
No, not that one!

non possumus capere
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Cole would never go!
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

a year in the Championship would be a death knell for the Tigers. The running costs of the new stadia would be exhorbitant with circa 3-4000 supporters turning up... Lets wait and see what happens to Newcastle, because if they come back up, they would really have to invest !
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

CitizenSmiff wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:38 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:18 pm https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/11466 ... -robertson

Ben Herring won't be available for at least 11 months. He's one that I thought we missed after he left, a good breakdown coach. From what I've seen in the interim he's a very different kind of coach, really goes into the psychology of his players. If we were to add him into the coaching set up in the future the. I would be opposed as he's gone away and got experience elsewhere, I think he may have worked with Borthwick in Japan.
Wow, he's scrubbed up a bit since his time with us eh! Glad to see he's doing well and loving life, really nice dude he is.
Mitre 10 finalist and Ranfurly Cup winner as Otago head coach. Sounds like it's going well on and off the pitch for him. He sounds a bit innovative in style for our board though.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

fortysix wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 10:08 am a year in the Championship would be a death knell for the Tigers. The running costs of the new stadia would be exhorbitant with circa 3-4000 supporters turning up... Lets wait and see what happens to Newcastle, because if they come back up, they would really have to invest !
Newcastle averaged 9,000 in the Premiership last season and around 4,000 in the Championship this season. A similar percentage drop would suggest Tigers might expect 8-10,000 in the Championship. Impossible to predict though, as there is no precedent for such a well supported club being relegated.

Regardless, if Falcons can get 4,900 to watch them stuff Coventry, I'm sure Tigers would average significantly more than 3-4,000.

I'm sure the lower gate receipts would be a challenge, but hardly the end of the world. It hasn't been a huge problem for most of the other, less well supported, clubs that have been relegated. If the cost of running a larger stadium was a problem, I doubt it would be too problematic to close sections to save costs.

I'm also tempted to think that relegation might not be the worst thing. I fear that without that happening the Club will be able to muddle along and pretend everything is fine.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

if they priced the tickets correctly they could have a full house every game