Borthwick

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: Borthwick

Post by RagingBull »

Sometimes it isn't as simple as handing in a resignation (Ala Goosen).

Also I'm sure Borthwick grand scheme is to be England head coach, I can understand why he would want to stick it out to the end of his contract, if the RFU are wanting him too also Eddie pretty much made Borthwick in terms of coaching so again can see his loyalty.

Now again just pure speculation.
Maybe Borthwick really doesn't want to come. Just giving some reasons why Borthwick might not want to end his contract early without RFU permission.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

This thread just sums up Tigers at the moment. What a shambles.
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

westwinds31 wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:42 am This thread just sums up Tigers at the moment. What a shambles.
Maybe or maybe it’s all being sorted and we just don’t know and can’t be told due to contractual restrictions and clauses.

If it hadn’t leaked pre RWC we wouldn’t be any the wiser and not frustrated by the lack of update - I’d hardly blame the club for that.
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

If it happens it happens.

Merry Christmas to all :smt030 :smt030 :smt030
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

DeadlyDunc wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:23 am
westwinds31 wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:42 am This thread just sums up Tigers at the moment. What a shambles.
Maybe or maybe it’s all being sorted and we just don’t know and can’t be told due to contractual restrictions and clauses.

If it hadn’t leaked pre RWC we wouldn’t be any the wiser and not frustrated by the lack of update - I’d hardly blame the club for that.
:smt023
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

If there were no rumours about Borthwick there would be similar speculation about who is coming.

We are a quarter of the way through the season and in deep trouble and I’ve not spoken to anyone who thinks the current coaching set up is capable of rescuing Tigers.

The substitution debacle at the end of the Exeter match seems to be a metaphor for our approach to this season. Too little too late.
Sticking with the status quo will see us relegated and making changes after the 6N will be too late.

If we can’t have Borthwick now we have to look at alternatives immediately.
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

mol2 wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:38 pm If we can’t have Borthwick now we have to look at alternatives immediately.
I'm not sure who else is out there? Cheika? Schmitt?

I'd quite like Lancaster but I'm not sure he'd be any simpler to appoint than Borthwick.

And of course, not bringing in Borthwick poses us with another issue of who do we bring in to coach the forwards?
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

mol2 wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:38 pm If we can’t have Borthwick now we have to look at alternatives immediately.
Were we to do so - what and who should we look for? (Let's assume GM is staying as Head Coach for the purpose of this discussion - otherwise we get into yet another 'GM in or out' thread!)

What? Should we seek an alternative forwards coach, a senior coach, a head coach - or are we looking for a temporary appointment at DoR level to support GM....?

Who? Once we've established what we're looking for - who's available?
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

strawclearer wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:52 pm
Were we to do so - what and who should we look for? (Let's assume GM is staying as Head Coach for the purpose of this discussion - otherwise we get into yet another 'GM in or out' thread!)

What? Should we seek an alternative forwards coach, a senior coach, a head coach - or are we looking for a temporary appointment at DoR level to support GM....?

Who? Once we've established what we're looking for - who's available?
I think with Borthwick the club are looking for a Head Coach so Geordan can move into a DoR role. I don't think this would change with Borthwick not being avaliable.

That being said, if the Borthwick deal falls through (IF), then I can't see us bringing anyone else in this season.

Here's an idea for the board that loves to hire ex-Tigers :smt005 :smt005

DoR: Geordan Murphy
HC (Backs and Attack): Daryl Gibson (out of contract)
Forwards/Lineout coach: Geoff Parling (Rebels)
Defense/Breakdown coach: Ben Herring (Year sabatical from rugby)
Scrum Coach: Boris Stankovich (Tigers)
Halfbacks Coach: David Mele (Tigers)
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/11466 ... -robertson

Ben Herring won't be available for at least 11 months. He's one that I thought we missed after he left, a good breakdown coach. From what I've seen in the interim he's a very different kind of coach, really goes into the psychology of his players. If we were to add him into the coaching set up in the future the. I would be opposed as he's gone away and got experience elsewhere, I think he may have worked with Borthwick in Japan.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

What would be the point in keeping GM as Head Coach and bringing in someone above? We tried having Pat Howard supporting him and that made no obvious difference. If GM stays as HC, it's hard to see how the coaching will change.

It sounds as though GM is pretty much cemented into the DoR role anyway, which also surely rules out any really experienced coaches like Cheika etc - I can't imagine they would be interested in playing second fiddle to a novice. Again, a waste of time anyway because to get the best out of those sort of people you need to put them in charge. So you're probably left with good attack/defence/backs/forwards coaches who are looking for that next step. Are there any of those around who would be interested?

Surely a club of Tigers ambition and resources should be expecting a truly world class and experienced DoR/Head Coach? The obsession with keeping GM involved appears to severely limit the options. When performances are as bad as they are, the whole structure and every role within it should be reviewed and sadly that doesn't seem like it will ever be the case, with some people apparently untouchable.
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

It really does seem that Tom and Cohen are happy to see Tigers relegated .
Keeping Murphy is going to see that happen, because his coaches bar Stanko are chronically awful.

So we are led to believe they dont want to be rushed into sacking Murphy by keyboard warriors----------- but when those keyboard warriors, Doom Mongers and Happy Clappers are actually in agreement, what the hell have the wretched Board got to lose ???

Face, well they lost that yonks ago.....
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

When you are in so deep that you can’t touch the bottom you might as well swim for it as treading water will see you drown anyway.

Treading water (sticking with Murphy) will doom us as sure as getting rid and grabbing any experienced coach with a brief of keeping us up. Worry about long term plans to take us back to the top when we are safe.

There are any number of coaches in the championship with more experience than ours although a internationally experienced one would be preferable.
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

sam16111986 wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:18 pm https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/11466 ... -robertson

Ben Herring won't be available for at least 11 months. He's one that I thought we missed after he left, a good breakdown coach. From what I've seen in the interim he's a very different kind of coach, really goes into the psychology of his players. If we were to add him into the coaching set up in the future the. I would be opposed as he's gone away and got experience elsewhere, I think he may have worked with Borthwick in Japan.
Wow, he's scrubbed up a bit since his time with us eh! Glad to see he's doing well and loving life, really nice dude he is.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

mol2 wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:01 pm When you are in so deep that you can’t touch the bottom you might as well swim for it as treading water will see you drown anyway.

Treading water (sticking with Murphy) will doom us as sure as getting rid and grabbing any experienced coach with a brief of keeping us up. Worry about long term plans to take us back to the top when we are safe.

There are any number of coaches in the championship with more experience than ours although a internationally experienced one would be preferable.
I don't know about that.
IMO I don't think it would be the worst thing to think of Long term rather than another attempt of patching things up.
Perhaps relegation would be the only thing to move the seemingly unmovable, especially in terms of some players and the BOD.

Don't get me wrong I don't want to be relegated BUT 1 year in the championship wouldn't be the worst thing to happen IMO.

Also what championship coaches would you want?