Borthwick

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Re: Borthwick

Post by Tiglon »

If it's Head Coach then it is the natural next step for him. Just a bit worrying the disarray our coaching team is in and the uncertainty for the future.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Simon Cohen and Rory Underwood hardly flew out out in luxury as they were on an ordinary Ryanair flight with many other Tiger's fans. It is an assumption that they were not paying for themselves, but I would have thought it a legitimate business expense anyway. Simon was supporting our team from the non- executive seats long before he became C.E.O in fact the first time I met him he was with his kids in the uncovered temporary stand at Bath.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

johnthegriff wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:02 am Simon Cohen and Rory Underwood hardly flew out out in luxury as they were on an ordinary Ryanair flight with many other Tiger's fans. It is an assumption that they were not paying for themselves, but I would have thought it a legitimate business expense anyway. Simon was supporting our team from the non- executive seats long before he became C.E.O in fact the first time I met him he was with his kids in the uncovered temporary stand at Bath.
I'm sure John that you missed telling us that Ben Kay was in the other seat?
wardy
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by wardy »

Sir Ian McGeechan in an article in the DT today says Borthwick hasn't handed his notice in to the RFU and won't be leaving until after the Six Nations (if at all). All there in black and white and he's probably got more connections than the rest of us put together.

I'm surprised, with all the media attention given to the prospect of Borthwick coming here, that the club haven't issued a direct denial, with GM skirting round the issue when directly asked.
Give blood, play rugby!!
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

LE18 wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:43 pm
johnthegriff wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:02 am Simon Cohen and Rory Underwood hardly flew out out in luxury as they were on an ordinary Ryanair flight with many other Tiger's fans. It is an assumption that they were not paying for themselves, but I would have thought it a legitimate business expense anyway. Simon was supporting our team from the non- executive seats long before he became C.E.O in fact the first time I met him he was with his kids in the uncovered temporary stand at Bath.
I'm sure John that you missed telling us that Ben Kay was in the other seat?
He was in the Auvergne on Sunday so doubt he made the trip to Calvisano
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

According to a snippet in The Rugby Paper today - how accurate judge for yourselves - Tigers are baulking at the payment of compensation to the RFU for his immediate release.
If true, given our current plight certainly worthy of a whip-round.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

kk20gb30 wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:16 pm According to a snippet in The Rugby Paper today - how accurate judge for yourselves - Tigers are baulking at the payment of compensation to the RFU for his immediate release.
If true, given our current plight certainly worthy of a whip-round.
I'd imagine the financial implications of relegation would cost a great deal more. Just pay it.
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

When Bakewell left it was reported that Borthwick wanted to stay with England for the Six Nations, not that he was forced to.

https://www.therugbypaper.co.uk/domesti ... borthwick/

This has been going on for more than three months. Is he actually keen on the job? If he was certain to come surely he would be desperate to be here as soon as possible to avoid spending next season as a Championship coach? Or maybe he wants to wait and see whether Tigers are likely to survive before committing...
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Borthwick not wanting to leave England a coach down from the 6N's is different to not being that keen.
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

Tiglon wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:31 pm When Bakewell left it was reported that Borthwick wanted to stay with England for the Six Nations, not that he was forced to.

https://www.therugbypaper.co.uk/domesti ... borthwick/

This has been going on for more than three months. Is he actually keen on the job? If he was certain to come surely he would be desperate to be here as soon as possible to avoid spending next season as a Championship coach? Or maybe he wants to wait and see whether Tigers are likely to survive before committing...
I too, get the impression that something isn't quite right. Either he's not that keen or we've set our sights on someone who isn't available until it's potentially too late. What an absolute mess the club is in. It's heartbreaking. I've gone more or less every week since I was 6 years old and it's an absolute shambles. I don't believe we have a divine right to win things but I never thought I'd see the day wherein we are the worst team in the league by a distance.
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:36 pm Borthwick not wanting to leave England a coach down from the 6N's is different to not being that keen.
It could be different. But since it's being going on since at least September, surely he could have left England plenty of time to find a replacement?

All we can do is speculate until either he, England or Tigers make a statement.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Tiglon wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:41 pm
RagingBull wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:36 pm Borthwick not wanting to leave England a coach down from the 6N's is different to not being that keen.
It could be different. But since it's being going on since at least September, surely he could have left England plenty of time to find a replacement?

The rugby world cup ended 2nd Novemeber.
I doubt Borthwick, Jones or the RFU was focusing past that date though.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:43 pm
Tiglon wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:41 pm

The rugby world cup ended 2nd Novemeber.
I doubt Borthwick, Jones or the RFU was focusing past that date though.
Probably not, no.

So we are likely now waiting until the end of the season or close to it, with a temporary and inexperienced forwards coach and a temporary and inexperienced head coach who is just treading water until he can move to the job that he actually wants to do and has already been promised. Probably.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Who knows.

TBF to Deacon the forwards played their best game yesterday.
I'm more interested to know if Blake was actually at the game.

If not maybe we will be seeing another new coach come in.
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Shortage of sponsors

Post by fleabane »

Is it a sign of the difficulty that Tigers now have in retaining sponsorship that there were stickers on the coaches laptops advertising the space was available?

It was also noticeable that there are fewer brands advertising around the ground and on the stands. All of this indicates lost revenue, presumably because of falling attendance and viewers?

One of the biggest contributors to income was traditionally the replica shirts. How are these selling?

What prices, compared to the successful years, are the club getting for the on- site franchises? What will they get for those that are up for renewal?

What gets cut, in light of these reductions, in order to maintain and improve the playing and coaching teams? Or does this explain the BODs apparent inaction, in that they can’t afford to do anything?
Valhalla I am coming!