Borthwick

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Borthwick

Post by Scuttle »

CrumblingTerrace wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:06 pm I'd imagine we're an attractive proposition for a coach looking to make their name, given that we've (statistically) NEVER been worse, yet have the infrastructure, supporter base, reputation to do much, much, much more.
This is the key. Fundamentals there on which to build, including a good squad of players but one which can be further added to and developed. I know we are not in a good place but many others have been there in times past (Sarries, Saints, Bristol,Gloucs) and look how they have improved, in some cases very quickly. Time to dig in and enjoy the ride; the rise will be all the sweeter.
As Good As It Gets
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

It’s also a relatively good squad, Cockers could have done wonders with this squad.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Redstripeman

Post by Redstripeman »

JP14 wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:03 pm It’s also a relatively good squad, Cockers could have done wonders with this squad.
.. Still extolling the virtues of Cockers then!!
Obviously your not convinced this debacle started under him!!!
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

The Tigers wikipedia page here

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leicester_Tigers

At the bottom of the page the relative performances of all the Tigers coaches are compared. No guesses to who is by far the worst performing.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Scuttle wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:40 pm
CrumblingTerrace wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:06 pm I'd imagine we're an attractive proposition for a coach looking to make their name, given that we've (statistically) NEVER been worse, yet have the infrastructure, supporter base, reputation to do much, much, much more.
This is the key. Fundamentals there on which to build, including a good squad of players but one which can be further added to and developed. I know we are not in a good place but many others have been there in times past (Sarries, Saints, Bristol,Gloucs) and look how they have improved, in some cases very quickly. Time to dig in and enjoy the ride; the rise will be all the sweeter.
Whoever comes in, Borthwick or someone else, has a golden opportunity to take the club back to its rightful place in English and European rugby and make a name for himself to move on to greater things. Let’s hope the rumours are true and he can drag the club out from the abyss in which it is floundering.
Semper in excretia
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Redstripeman wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:20 pm
JP14 wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:03 pm It’s also a relatively good squad, Cockers could have done wonders with this squad.
I wasn’t suggesting bringing him back, my point was merely a hypothetical opinion, exemplifying how under resourced Cockers was.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Bunchy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bunchy »

Still ironing out details, but borthwick will be head coach under GM as DoR in the very near future - just finalising details of his release from RFU........
Less is more....
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

I wonder if the problem for any incoming coach is whether we spend too high a proportion (of the salary cap) on a handful of players leaving diddly squat for the rest of the squad?
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

mol2 wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:07 am I wonder if the problem for any incoming coach is whether we spend too high a proportion (of the salary cap) on a handful of players leaving diddly squat for the rest of the squad?
Perhaps.

Maybe we could come up with a scheme where we help them by setting up and investing in some joint companies with them? Surely this is permitted under the cap as it addresses player welfare post their playing career. :smt003
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
Bristol Tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Bristol Tiger »

voice of the crumbie wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:30 am
mol2 wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:07 am I wonder if the problem for any incoming coach is whether we spend too high a proportion (of the salary cap) on a handful of players leaving diddly squat for the rest of the squad?
Perhaps.

Maybe we could come up with a scheme where we help them by setting up and investing in some joint companies with them? Surely this is permitted under the cap as it addresses player welfare post their playing career. :smt003
:smt005 :smt005 :smt005
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

JP14 wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:12 pm
I wasn’t suggesting bringing him back, my point was merely a hypothetical opinion, exemplifying how under resourced Cockers was.
Stunning to see the win ratios of Cockers and Deano on a huge number of games. 60+% over an extended period, both sacked. Says a lot for the Board :smt035
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

jgriffin wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:04 pm
JP14 wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:12 pm

Stunning to see the win ratios of Cockers and Deano on a huge number of games. 60+% over an extended period, both sacked. Says a lot for the Board :smt035
And the number of trophies they won,
daktari
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by daktari »

That's what all teams do.....unless you are Sarries ... :smt002
find a better way of life, http://www.marillion.com

marillion 19, coming ....er not sure..
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

Bunchy wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:57 am Still ironing out details, but borthwick will be head coach under GM as DoR in the very near future - just finalising details of his release from RFU........
Good news and bad news then.

Good news that Borthwick is coming in. Not such good news that GM remains as DOR, I really can't see what he has done to deserve that position. Apologies if that is unpopular.
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
Dr H Flashman MBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dr H Flashman MBE »

Bunchy wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:57 am Still ironing out details, but borthwick will be head coach under GM as DoR in the very near future - just finalising details of his release from RFU........
Where did you read it hear this piece of tasty information?? It’s very good to read.
There is never any points for 2nd place...