Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Re: PRC Round 3 - Bath vs Tigers

Post by sam16111986 »

Mark62 wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:32 pm
JP14 wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:50 pm Good away win though, apparently Reffell was excellent.
Great to hear. Thompson is bound to pick up some knocks such is his commitment, good to know that Reffell is there as more than able back up, and from the sounds of it won’t be long before he’s filling his boots
I hope we rotate the pair of them regularly. Keep them both fresh and free of niggles as much as possible. We seem to have purchased wisely this off season in terms of the backrow and lock so it's time for us to think ahead more in selection and try to keep players fresh, particularly in the pack. We want to be competitive throughout the season not just until Christmas.

From reports and from what I saw last week Coghlan could be a handy acquisition add in Leibenburg and Taufua and Kalamafoni then we have four good 6/8s to rotate. Looks like we're going with the bigger unit at 6 and a more dynamic 8 so could be Taufua and Coghlan at 8 with Kalamafoni or Liebenburg at 6. Reffell or Thompson at 7. A staggered rotation amongst the backrow and those are some good options if we can keep them fresh.
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

Another great victory so it looks like Tigers hopefully have turned the corner.
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

everything is crossed!!
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Still a lot of work ons from the sound of the Match report, Greg Bateman also had a great game.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Excellent defensive performance by Tigers. We dominated early on and a little more accuracy would have seen us well clear. Bath never really created anything and only scored when an unnecessary long pass was intercepted. For Bateman lovers I am delighted to report Greg is back, breaking the line and stepping defenders with aplomb. No complaints about the red card an frankly I thought we had blown it at that point but we grafted hard and defended superbly. After Taf's departure we initially played a man short in the pack but having lost a couple of scrums we swapped Adam Thompstone for Liebenberg which steadied things a little. Further changes to the pack including replacing the excellent Tommy Reffell who just gets better and better and the long awaited introduction of Leatigaga added weight and we once again looked the most likely team to score which we did to clinch the game with a well worked drop goal from Tom Hardwick who had had a decent all round game although in my opinion he is looking like a quality 12 of the future.
To sum up our boys as a team did blooming well, and stayed committed until that final whistle blew; and we couldn't say that very often last season!
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

johnthegriff wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:19 pm Excellent defensive performance by Tigers. We dominated early on and a little more accuracy would have seen us well clear. Bath never really created anything and only scored when an unnecessary long pass was intercepted. For Bateman lovers I am delighted to report Greg is back, breaking the line and stepping defenders with aplomb. No complaints about the red card an frankly I thought we had blown it at that point but we grafted hard and defended superbly. After Taf's departure we initially played a man short in the pack but having lost a couple of scrums we swapped Adam Thompstone for Liebenberg which steadied things a little. Further changes to the pack including replacing the excellent Tommy Reffell who just gets better and better and the long awaited introduction of Leatigaga added weight and we once again looked the most likely team to score which we did to clinch the game with a well worked drop goal from Tom Hardwick who had had a decent all round game although in my opinion he is looking like a quality 12 of the future.
To sum up our boys as a team did blooming well, and stayed committed until that final whistle blew; and we couldn't say that very often last season!
Worth a Remy that. JTG!
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Spicer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Spicer »

Pleasantly surprised. When I saw the team sheets I wasn't to confident, I'm glad that they proved me wrong! :smt026
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Big Dai wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:34 pm
johnthegriff wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:19 pm Excellent defensive performance by Tigers. We dominated early on and a little more accuracy would have seen us well clear. Bath never really created anything and only scored when an unnecessary long pass was intercepted. For Bateman lovers I am delighted to report Greg is back, breaking the line and stepping defenders with aplomb. No complaints about the red card an frankly I thought we had blown it at that point but we grafted hard and defended superbly. After Taf's departure we initially played a man short in the pack but having lost a couple of scrums we swapped Adam Thompstone for Liebenberg which steadied things a little. Further changes to the pack including replacing the excellent Tommy Reffell who just gets better and better and the long awaited introduction of Leatigaga added weight and we once again looked the most likely team to score which we did to clinch the game with a well worked drop goal from Tom Hardwick who had had a decent all round game although in my opinion he is looking like a quality 12 of the future.
Worth a Remy that. JTG!
Dai I've been meaning to ask, what exactly is a Remy? a beer a wine or a spirit?
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:00 pm
Worth a Remy that. JTG!
Dai I've been meaning to ask, what exactly is a Remy? a beer a wine or a spirit?
Remy is guessing Remy Martin which is a fine champagne cognac.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Tigerbeat wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:03 pm
Worth a Remy that. JTG!
Remy is guessing Remy Martin which is a fine champagne cognac.
ah nice!
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Worth a Remy that. JTG!
A decent champagne cognac. It's been my victory tipple since.....well......Deano was playing.....It also used to be in the hip flask on the days when dad and I used to stand on the terrace.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Looks like a red card but who can tell for sure on that and no further ban for me based on that footage.
Refs can get it wrong on first sighting, for example Owens stating at the time that he thought the Lavanini tackle was good.
Expecting to see more red cards this season and players ducking into it.
White's try is never a try, he is tackled all day long and there is no release of the ball to get up and go again.
Great example of how tacklers are forced by inconsistent refs into holding the tackled player on the ground which often kills the game.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I guess you have to look closer at the White try, whether he was held was unclear, what was clear was that Polota-Nau cleared past the ruck and opened the space for White to dummy. No matter as we would have won regardless.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

To think players would purposely duck and risk serious injury just to get a player binned or sent off is completely crazy 😂
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer