BY (default)
Ford
May
Farrell
Tuilagi
Watson
Daly

Genge,LCD,Cole,Lawes,Wilson,Heinz,JJ,Big Joe
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: England vs USA

Post by CitizenSmiff »

Twelvetrees would have made a quality addition to this tournament, not likely to start the big games but vastly preferable to Francis as a second option for Ford/Faz. Or a certain other Glaws play-maker but that ground doesn't need raking over again.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Would have Vunipola instead of Marler, Wilson instead of Underhill and Watson instead of Daly :smt003
A2O
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

CitizenSmiff wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:41 pm Twelvetrees would have made a quality addition to this tournament, not likely to start the big games but vastly preferable to Francis as a second option for Ford/Faz. Or a certain other Glaws play-maker but that ground doesn't need raking over again.
I wouldn’t have Twelvetrees in an England shirt. Lozowski would be a better option in my opinion. As a bolter, Ryan Mills could be an option too.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I would have had Twelvetrees and Morgan!
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Twelvetrees now plays 13 mostly for Gloucester and I don’t think he was ever in the picture.
I think Eddies decision to revert back to Farrell and Ford midfield was a late one and was forced by their performances, possibly after the squad was announced, and if this had been his preferred option earlier, Francis wouldn’t have gone, selecting he who will not be named or Smith instead.
At 8 if Billy goes lame you would expect Wilson to stand in, but if he needed replacing would it be Morgan or Hughes
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

EJ would prefer Hughes over Morgan, but Wilson shows he can stand up at 8.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

ay2oh wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:42 pm Would have Vunipola instead of Marler, Wilson instead of Underhill and Watson instead of Daly :smt003
I think you’re underestimating how well Marler has played and his standing in the squad. A fully fit Mako with game time under his belt I agree but that isn’t the case.
Curry’s emergence as an Adrie Savea type 6 has meant that Underhill work defensively will get him the 7 shirt and he isn’t bad with ball in hand.
On current form I would agree Watson over Daley
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

I'm looking forward to seeing how England versus Argentina plays out.
Lots to be interested in, a scrummage contest, Itoje versus Lavanini, Farrell's tackling technique against a side that will have decent possession etc.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

BFG wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:58 pm I'm looking forward to seeing how England versus Argentina plays out.
Lots to be interested in, a scrummage contest, Itoje versus Lavanini, Farrell's tackling technique against a side that will have decent possession etc.
On the contrary BFG, incredibly scrummaging is one of the weakest parts of Argentinas game these days (jeez hope I haven't cursed it 😂)
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

TigerBoy1880 wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:51 pm
CitizenSmiff wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:41 pm Twelvetrees would have made a quality addition to this tournament, not likely to start the big games but vastly preferable to Francis as a second option for Ford/Faz. Or a certain other Glaws play-maker but that ground doesn't need raking over again.
I wouldn’t have Twelvetrees in an England shirt. Lozowski would be a better option in my opinion. As a bolter, Ryan Mills could be an option too.
Sam James. Has played 10/12/13/15 for Sale, can pass, has good offloading stats, can kick and can tackle. The fact he's a bit of a unit helps as well. Can't believe he doesn't have a dozen caps by now. Ideal player for a small RWC squad as well.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

TigerBoy1880 wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:16 pm Ok. You clearly just don’t like Youngs. Fair enough.

It’s interesting how you have only commented on his errors and not others. Ford made a couple of passes which weren’t too good.

Genge conceded a penalty.

Other players made errors too but it’s only Youngs you commented on.
I totally agree, Even George threw a shocking pass between 2 players which botched an almost certain try, I think you could see that conditions made it very difficult for both sides to handle well.

I don't think it was a brilliant performance, but it was a step up
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

A question, when the US player was stretchered off am I correct in thinking that he was replaced by a player who had already been subbed? The injured player on the stretcher obviously wasn't a HIA so why was a player who had already been subbed allow to come back on?

Again before the keyboard warriors berate me, I may well be wrong on both the subs situation and the law
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Chobbsy wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:44 am A question, when the US player was stretchered off am I correct in thinking that he was replaced by a player who had already been subbed? The injured player on the stretcher obviously wasn't a HIA so why was a player who had already been subbed allow to come back on?

Again before the keyboard warriors berate me, I may well be wrong on both the subs situation and the law
We asked the same thing, whether he was knocked out and/or there was blood and therefore the rules allowed replacement for a set period, I’m unsure
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Mark62 wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:33 pm
ay2oh wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:42 pm Would have Vunipola instead of Marler, Wilson instead of Underhill and Watson instead of Daly :smt003
I think you’re underestimating how well Marler has played and his standing in the squad. A fully fit Mako with game time under his belt I agree but that isn’t the case.
Curry’s emergence as an Adrie Savea type 6 has meant that Underhill work defensively will get him the 7 shirt and he isn’t bad with ball in hand.
On current form I would agree Watson over Daley
Am not underestimating anything. Marler often loses his head under pressure and we cannot risk yellow/red cards in the big games. Regarding Underhill is a good player but Wilson gives a better option in the line-outs all in my opinion of course :smt003
A2O