Tigers Financial Loss

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

LE18
Super User
Super User

Tigers Financial Loss

Post by LE18 »

This morning I received an update on my phone, I think it was from the Rugby Paper, big article regarding Tigers biggest loss ever of £1,900,000, against a turnover of over 20.4 million.
Last edited by LE18 on Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tigerbeat

Re: Tigers Financial Loss

Post by Tigerbeat »

There are not many Premiership teams making profit and there are more teams making bigger losses than Tigers. I suspect that this loss was not unexpected given all the happenings on and off the pitch at Welford Road.
Tigers are probably more financially secure than a lot of its rivals.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Tigerbeat wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:22 pm There are not many Premiership teams making profit and there are more teams making bigger losses than Tigers. I suspect that this loss was not unexpected given all the happenings on and off the pitch at Welford Road.
It didn't paint a very rosy picture, loss of season tickets was 1 cause. Have Tigers published the accounts/comments/reports anywhere on here? I'm a bit surprise at the lack of comment so far! :smt012
chappie
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by chappie »

No surprises there then, Season ticket have fallen from about 15,500 to 11000, that’s hell of a drop.
The product on the pitch has been second rate at the very best!
The days are long gone when you would buy a season ticket to almost guarantee to make sure you got first dibs at any Finals tickets!
I gave up my season ticket a few seasons ago after being a season ticket holder for nearly 30yrs, at least if I fancy coming to watch a game now there is no trouble in getting a ticket unlike the good old days when we were selling out Welford Road, but then we had a great team, that’s the difference, the product was truly great on the pitch!
Franck Tournaire Number 1 fan.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Leicester Tigers has published its Annual Report and Accounts for the year ended 30 June 2019, reporting revenues of more than £20 million for a second successive year.

In the 12 months to June 30, the Club’s accounts show revenues of £20.0 million (2018: £20.4 million).

Welford Road again attracted the highest aggregate and average attendances in Premiership Rugby with more than 300,000 tickets sold for Tigers’ home fixtures during the 2018/19 season, despite a disappointing year in terms of results on the pitch.

The business recorded an operating loss before exceptional items, interest and taxation of £1.9 million, compared with a loss of £1.0 million during the previous year.

“The Club has very loyal support and continues to build strong bonds with sponsors and a range of commercial partners,” said Leicester Tigers chairman, Peter Tom CBE.

“That income is vital in ensuring the club has the funding available to fully support recruitment and retention of senior players, the team on the pitch and the management and the support staff as well as the successful academy structure.

“We continue to fund the playing squad up to the salary cap and to fully resource the support team behind the players, though of course last season was a tough one on the field.

“Following the investment by CVC Capital Partners in Premiership Rugby, we look forward to working together to allow the league to reach its full commercial potential nationally and in global markets.”

The Annual Report and Accounts have been sent to shareholders and are available online HERE.
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

[quote=LE18 post_id=723854 time=1569346592 user_id=8553]
[quote=Tigerbeat post_id=723850 time=1569342122 user_id=6138]
There are not many Premiership teams making profit and there are more teams making bigger losses than Tigers. I suspect that this loss was not unexpected given all the happenings on and off the pitch at Welford Road.
[/quote]

It didn't paint a very rosy picture, loss of season tickets was 1 cause. Have Tigers published the accounts/comments/reports anywhere on here? I'm a bit surprise at the lack of comment so far! :smt012
[/quote]

It has been released on the website, and there is a link to the full accounts if you care to look.
The bad news is the increased operating loss, from £1m to £1.9m - almost double! This is the continuance of a recent trend. I think all clubs are finding it financially challenging, but in Tigers case there is little doubt that the on-field performances have contributed to this particular loss.
It is only the injection of capital from CVC which is giving the figures any gloss.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Is this a good time to bury bad news, in the hopes it will go unnoticed?
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

chappie wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:50 pm No surprises there then, Season ticket have fallen from about 15,500 to 11000, that’s hell of a drop.
The days are long gone when you would buy a season ticket to almost guarantee to make sure you got first dibs at any Finals tickets!
I gave up my season ticket a few seasons ago after being a season ticket holder for nearly 30yrs, at least if I fancy coming to watch a game now there is no trouble in getting a ticket unlike the good old days when we were selling out Welford Road, but then we had a great team, that’s the difference, the product was truly great on the pitch!
Season tickets were never as high as 15,500 and for 2018/19 were over 13,500.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

LE18 wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:01 pm Leicester Tigers has published its Annual Report and Accounts for the year ended 30 June 2019, reporting revenues of more than £20 million for a second successive year.

In the 12 months to June 30, the Club’s accounts show revenues of £20.0 million (2018: £20.4 million).

Welford Road again attracted the highest aggregate and average attendances in Premiership Rugby with more than 300,000 tickets sold for Tigers’ home fixtures during the 2018/19 season, despite a disappointing year in terms of results on the pitch.

The business recorded an operating loss before exceptional items, interest and taxation of £1.9 million, compared with a loss of £1.0 million during the previous year.

“The Club has very loyal support and continues to build strong bonds with sponsors and a range of commercial partners,” said Leicester Tigers chairman, Peter Tom CBE.

“That income is vital in ensuring the club has the funding available to fully support recruitment and retention of senior players, the team on the pitch and the management and the support staff as well as the successful academy structure.

“We continue to fund the playing squad up to the salary cap and to fully resource the support team behind the players, though of course last season was a tough one on the field.

“Following the investment by CVC Capital Partners in Premiership Rugby, we look forward to working together to allow the league to reach its full commercial potential nationally and in global markets.”

The Annual Report and Accounts have been sent to shareholders and are available online HERE.
And if you go all the way down: Revaluation of investments to give a profit on ordinary activities of £5m (£4m after tax) and top that off with a property revaluation to give total comprehensive income of £9.4m.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

h's dad wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:40 am
chappie wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:50 pm No surprises there then, Season ticket have fallen from about 15,500 to 11000, that’s hell of a drop.
Season tickets were never as high as 15,500 and for 2018/19 were over 13,500.
From the Tigers website on "Club Partners" the following details are available, with 14,755 season ticket holders!

"Partnership Opportunities"
Leverage a winning relationship with 10 times English champions, by becoming a corporate partner.

22,500 ABC1 Demographic
14,755 Season Ticket Holders
163,000 Active purchasers
410,000 Social followers
381,000 Total Attendance last season
We know the best partnerships are those that are mutually beneficial, and so we work closely with our partners to help activate partnerships in line with key business objectives. Backed up with quality delivery and relationship management, we pride ourselves on being able to show a genuine return on investment year on year.

Our partnership team have welcomed both international brands and home-grown concerns and can tailor a partnership package to fit your needs.