Re: PRC Round 2 - Tigers vs Exeter

Post by northerntiger »

Put our internationals in there, I'm optimistic
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

For a first time in a long time I'm enjoying a post match Remy. Basking in a gritty defensive performance. Yes. Four tries, but the win was built on defence.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Encouraging, very encouraging - without getting carried away.

Reid, Thompson & Liebenberg standouts for me. Hope Will Spencer's injury isn't too bad, also Thompson, hope they both are as they looked, precautionary removals.

Lineout looked so much better, Scrum a bit wobbly but got there in the end. Linespeed was far far better and put Exeter on the back foot more than once. Our handling was better but if one criticism, still seemed a bit slow recycling from breakdowns but hard to moan after a decent enough win - I don't care how 'non-standard' Chiefs team was.

A good pre-season warm up. :smt023 :smt002
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
Spicer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Spicer »

Not to much to add to what has been said already. But a good hard fought battling in. Something we've not said much in a long time.
I thought Owolofela had probably his best game before he limped off. Eastmond and Forsyth were good. Liebenberg was solid and our lineout was faultless I believe.

Above all I loved our intensity with the the linespeed. Defence was far better
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

It's been a while since I've felt this optimistic.

Defense was better.
Rucks were better.
Fitness far better.
Squad looks more like a unit.

Scrums need work, but of course Boris is away, plus Cole, Genge, Lavanini, Taufau, Kalamafoni into that pack.

Players playing for each other and the shirt. Been a fair while since we've seen that!
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

TTRITH wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:02 pm It's been a while since I've felt this optimistic.

Defense was better.
Rucks were better.
Fitness far better.
Squad looks more like a unit.

Scrums need work, but of course Boris is away, plus Cole, Genge, Lavanini, Taufau, Kalamafoni into that pack.

Players playing for each other and the shirt. Been a fair while since we've seen that!
Agree with all of the above, not sure what Boris can do with a loosened who simply does not want the scrummage.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

TTRITH wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:02 pm

First point has me drooling.

Second point makes me happy, and also a little sad that we've had no unity for what seems like ages - hopefully back now.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Green deserves a mention too, did exactly what we got him back for, brought some edge and defensively fantastic in the line out.
Coghlan too didn’t take a backward step against 2 huge Bok back rowers
dpoc74
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by dpoc74 »

I couldn’t get to the game but watched it on TV. Thompson is surely a future captain. Reid looked really good. Leibenberg could be a very exciting addition. I actually enjoyed the game in a way I haven’t in ages. It was just a warm up match but makes me feel a lot happier and glad for now I still have my season ticket!
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

To be honest it’s just nice to get a win.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Mark62 wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:10 pm Green deserves a mention too, did exactly what we got him back for, brought some edge and defensively fantastic in the line out.
Coghlan too didn’t take a backward step against 2 huge Bok back rowers
I was impressed with all of the newbies but especially our forwards. Also, a nice little cameo from Hardwick. I think he'll become a very decent player for us.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

That late hit on Reid - thoughts anyone? Pen? Yellow? Sir got it right?
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

I was at the game.
I hardly recognised a Chiefs player, they have a monster squad as it was a very tough game.
I thought that Leicester looked sharp, clearly working very hard.
The scrum and ball carrying will be the main concern until the World Cup is over, I thought that Reid was pretty smart at times in this regard.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:30 pm That late hit on Reid - thoughts anyone? Pen? Yellow? Sir got it right?
Touch and go the Exeter player was done by Reid’s slight of hand. Probably a penalty at worst
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

dpoc74 wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:26 pm I couldn’t get to the game but watched it on TV. Thompson is surely a future captain. Reid looked really good. Leibenberg could be a very exciting addition. I actually enjoyed the game in a way I haven’t in ages. It was just a warm up match but makes me feel a lot happier and glad for now I still have my season ticket!
Not sure why people are so keen to thrust the arm band on people.
You can be a leader in a team without bein the captain, which Thompson obviously is, and Green took over the captaincy when Youngs went off even though Thompson was still on