PRC Round 2 - Tigers vs Exeter

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: PRC Round 2 - Tigers vs Exeter

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

Defensively we do look to be showing a bit more determination and togetherness, so that’s much improved.
Positives, Reid and Liebenberg look very tidy. Green also looks busy. Holmes looks like he’s still got an eye for a telling line.
Negatives, scrum is creaking badly against a pretty young and relatively inexperienced front row. Exeter have a front row all in early twenties and they are in the ascendancy. Still appears a lack of telling gameplan to me. There’s a marginally better cohesiveness, but still lacks incisiveness. Seems a bit hang in there and hope for a gap.

Exeter’s production line of powerful players is reminiscent of Tigers of old. Front row, back row, and centre. Something to be envious of.
Last edited by FrontRowUnionMember on Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

kpj tiger wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:35 pm Really positive first half for Tigers, much improved carrying from the forwards, much more patient in the red zone, backs passing much more crisp. Only area of concern will be the scrum.
Agreed. Our line speed and first up tackling has been excellent too.

I think, with the new directives on high tackles, we're going to see plenty more yellow and red cards this season.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

FrontRowUnionMember wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:38 pm Still appears a lack of telling gameplan to me. There’s a marginally better cohesiveness, but still lacks incisiveness. Seems a bit hang in there and hope for a gap.
A little harsh methinks. They've been more patient to create the gaps and have taken advantage and could have had a couple more tries with more incisiveness on the support lines and offloads.
Spicer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Spicer »

daktari wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:37 pm If refs start picking up on Exeter’s constantly blocking tactics, they could be in trouble....yes I know that would require refs to apply the laws
That would be nice. Although to be fair we have gotten away with some things, like our 3rd try should of been disallowed for not releasing the ball.

I didn't know most of the Chiefs players but they are huge and powerful! Our scrum is being pushed backwards.

It's been great to see our intensity!
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

We should also remember that this is the first game in a long time for most of this squad, pretty sure Bateman hasn't played in well over 6 months
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:42 pm
FrontRowUnionMember wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:38 pm Still appears a lack of telling gameplan to me. There’s a marginally better cohesiveness, but still lacks incisiveness. Seems a bit hang in there and hope for a gap.
A little harsh methinks. They've been more patient to create the gaps and have taken advantage and could have had a couple more tries with more incisiveness on the support lines and offloads.
Lack of gameplay. So attacking them at ruck time and line out and moving the ball wide isn’t happening

watching a different game to me
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:42 pmA little harsh methinks. They've been more patient to create the gaps and have taken advantage and could have had a couple more tries with more incisiveness on the support lines and offloads.
Mark62 wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:53 pmLack of gameplay. So attacking them at ruck time and line out and moving the ball wide isn’t happening

Perhaps I was a little harsh. We have showed a bit more aggressiveness, but running lines and movement were not at the standard of like to see. However, second half we seemed to have upped a gear. Starting to really fizz the ball to runners flat on the gainline. Fingers crossed confidence is returning and we see more of it. Definitely think Reid is a very astute addition. Eastmond seems revitalised too.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

FrontRowUnionMember wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:02 pm
longlivethecrumbie wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:42 pmA little harsh methinks. They've been more patient to create the gaps and have taken advantage and could have had a couple more tries with more incisiveness on the support lines and offloads.
Mark62 wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:53 pmLack of gameplay. So attacking them at ruck time and line out and moving the ball wide isn’t happening

Perhaps I was a little harsh. We have showed a bit more aggressiveness, but running lines and movement were not at the standard of like to see. However, second half we seemed to have upped a gear. Starting to really fizz the ball to runners flat on the gainline. Fingers crossed confidence is returning and we see more of it. Definitely think Reid is a very astute addition. Eastmond seems revitalised too.
Agreed and could well be competing for same shirt
northerntiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by northerntiger »

Sir is awful. Not biased, just missing loads of stuff, and making some irrational decisions
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

northerntiger wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:10 pm Sir is awful. Not biased, just missing loads of stuff, and making some irrational decisions
Very much out of his depth for both sides. TMO could be coming in more too
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Very good performance by all 23 all in all even got the scrums sorted in the end.
All of the signings have done a job as have the youngsters.

Don’t want to go over board but very encouraging

Watching on the TV first game for this commentator and he is very listenable
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

That's better! I'm at work so couldn't watch ☹️ standouts please? Set piece? Back play?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Liebenberg is the kind of forward Tigers have been missing for a long long time.

Only preseason against a weaker Exeter but very encouraging that all the new signings are providing what they were signed to help fix.
Shout out to Green and Reid also.
northerntiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by northerntiger »

The whole team
Really good, gutsy perforce. Apart from the try, Ex never looked like scoring.

If you want a standout - Reid, Thompson
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Couple of passes that Reid threw off his left hand if that had been Cipriani Austin wouldn’t have been able to contain himself.

Bigger than I realised isn’t afraid to put in the hits him at 12 outside Ford inside Manu will cause anyone issues