cashless madness - or is it??

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: cashless madness - or is it??

Post by sk 88 »

johnthegriff wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:24 pm According to the Mercury the pre loaded cash card was to have been through Cook's Money, I wonder what would have happened to any money loaded on Friday had they gone bust next week?
When we shop we have a choice whether to pay by cash or by card, we also have a choice whether to buy or not, only one of these options will be available at our rugby club.
Hi John, this is the only article I can find on the Mercury about the move

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news ... ad-3331701

I can't see any mention of pre-paid cards in it? Unless it has been changed of course, which it may well have been.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

Mayocaz wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:00 pm I’m not overly keen in this card only aspect. I’m quite old school and my visits to Welford Road are combined with going to several different pubs and finally a restaurant before a taxi home. I’ll generally wake up on a Sunday morning and tentatively count the money I’ve left on the bookcase to see what the previous days damage was. I’m going to be guessing if I’ve got to remember card transactions. Even if I attempt to get receipts I’ll still be wondering if there’s any transactions I’ve not got one for after the ale kicked in.
Or you could just look up the transactions real time on your banking/card app. That way you'd also know what you actually spent all that money on and not have the foggy possibility the following morning that the distractingly comely Janine behind the bar short-changed you or that your mate Wayne subbed his gambling habit from your wallet (again)...
AngusMcCoatup
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by AngusMcCoatup »

Scuttle wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:44 am
chewbacca wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:58 am I'm old and don't do online banking either. I do have a card and use it grudgingly. I used to work in IT and believe it or not I don't think IT systems are infallible. Fraudulent transactions within the EU were last reported at Euro 1.8 billion.
That is my concern too. We sent our contactless cards back to the bank when they were sent to us unsolicited. I'm not VERY old, more a product of mileage over years, and am just not convinced the banks have the security sorted yet. I always paid cash at Tigers and am not convinced the new arrangements will be quicker, especially when returning £1 cup deposits to your card. I am willing to give it a go but as Strawclearer said our group will just give our money to someone else if the wait is too long. This reminds me of when I was Treasurer of our Sailing Club a few years ago and needed to pay money into the bank; there was a sign on the door of the bank (and I kid you not ) saying "For the convenience of our customers this bank is now closed on Wednesday afternoons".
I am fascinated ~ The nickname of Scuttle! was this achieved quote " when I was Treasurer of our Sailing Club a few years ago" and did the Sailing Club pull the plug and go under?
To the world you may be just one person.
But to that one person you may be the world!
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

AngusMcCoatup wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:21 am
chewbacca wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:58 am I'm old and don't do online banking either. I do have a card and use it grudgingly. I used to work in IT and believe it or not I don't think IT systems are infallible. Fraudulent transactions within the EU were last reported at Euro 1.8 billion.
That is my concern too. We sent our contactless cards back to the bank when they were sent to us unsolicited. I'm not VERY old, more a product of mileage over years, and am just not convinced the banks have the security sorted yet. I always paid cash at Tigers and am not convinced the new arrangements will be quicker, especially when returning £1 cup deposits to your card. I am willing to give it a go but as Strawclearer said our group will just give our money to someone else if the wait is too long. This reminds me of when I was Treasurer of our Sailing Club a few years ago and needed to pay money into the bank; there was a sign on the door of the bank (and I kid you not ) saying "For the convenience of our customers this bank is now closed on Wednesday afternoons".
I am fascinated ~ The nickname of Scuttle! was this achieved quote " when I was Treasurer of our Sailing Club a few years ago" and did the Sailing Club pull the plug and go under?
To one whose tag is so close to Boaty McBoatface I would love to say yes but the Club thrives. That was a gereat spot by the way; I was on a completely different tack altogether with no punt intended. The nickname was given to me in the Rugby Club at University many years ago.
As Good As It Gets
AngusMcCoatup
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by AngusMcCoatup »

Scuttle wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:48 am
AngusMcCoatup wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:21 am

To one whose tag is so close to Boaty McBoatface I would love to say yes but the Club thrives. That was a gereat spot by the way; I was on a completely different tack altogether with no punt intended. The nickname was given to me in the Rugby Club at University many years ago.
It is Great! news that the sailing club thrives but perhaps the title of "Scuttle" should be given to Thomas Cook's CEO Peter Fankhauser (other versions are available) as having taken in excess of £8million he left Thomas Cook in "cashless & madness" ~ just managed to keep on track ~ oops another pun! :smt023
To the world you may be just one person.
But to that one person you may be the world!
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

LE18 wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:22 pm
Tiglon wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:22 pm Don't understand why anyone in 2019 needs to avoid using a bank card - unless you're evading tax or money laundering.
I'm old, if I use a card I want a receipt, I don't do electronic banking, I suggest you wait till you get old to realise the ease of using cash from your Old Age Pension.
I am old. Yes electronic payments and banking are open to fraud and theft. So is cash.

Fine, some people would prefer to use cash, but a lot of the arguments against cashless smack of trying to desperately justify a pre-conceived idea of "new thing = bad. Bah humbug. I'm a grumpy old man".

Im sure that if the pro-cash sentiment is widely and strongly held then the decision will need to be reversed. If, however, in 3 years the stadium is still cashless we can conclude that it's only a problem for a few internet moaners who love nothing more than having something to crusade against. And money launderers.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

The article re Thomas Cook Money was in Wednesday's edition of the Mercury alongside the piece on Thomas Cook, unfortunately I no longer take the paper and was reading it in a friends copy, but it was there.
Caerlyr Osprey
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Caerlyr Osprey »

sk 88 wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:16 pm https://www.bathrugby.com/news/whats-ch ... -matchday/

Bath also go cashless.
Personally I have no problem with the club going cashless, although it would be nice to use my card to buy the new shirt. As someone who works in the payments industry I'm curious to see how the refund for the cup return will work - as there rules and regulations around that.

More interestingly from them going cashless at the (w)rec(k) is that they've got WiFi down there and they've still got a version of the Swipe Station app.

TAP AND GO APP
We've upgraded the WiFi at the Rec and we strongly recommend using our Tap and Go App (available to download on Apple and Android), which enables you to spend less time queuing by pre-ordering drinks and snacks. Collection points are located in the Swift Half, Gem Stand (West Stand) and Thatchers Terrace (North Terrace).

As usual Tigers behind the times.
Swansea Cricket & Football Club - The First British Club Side To Beat The All Blacks, Springboks & Wallabies.
The Ospreys The First Welsh Region To Beat A Touring Side
Leicester Football Club The First Back To Back Winners of The European Cup
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

How the hell can anyone suggest Welford Rd is behind Bath's ground. I can only assume they have either never visited us or theey have never been to the Rec.
mol2
Super User
Super User

A disgrace. Discriminatory.

Post by mol2 »

An utter shambles.

Can't do receipts in the Drogs - why - because they were still putting the printer software on! Stunning imeptitude they could not have the courtesy for the paying fans to set up the system and train the staff before the match.
A minute to process the transaction - presumably a lack of bandwidth - and the stadium was almost empty!

Is it legal?
Declining cash discriminates against the elderly, young and the visually impaired who may not have access to bank cards or feel safe using them.

There are those who may not hold bank cards for legal reasons such as those going through bankruptcy proceedings.

The question that follows is it worth it for grossly overpriced, poorly kept beer.

My pre-match drinks will be outside of the ground.
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: A disgrace. Discriminatory.

Post by anz3001 »

mol2 wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:22 pm An utter shambles.

Can't do receipts in the Drogs - why - because they were still putting the printer software on! Stunning imeptitude they could not have the courtesy for the paying fans to set up the system and train the staff before the match.
A minute to process the transaction - presumably a lack of bandwidth - and the stadium was almost empty!

Is it legal?
Declining cash discriminates against the elderly, young and the visually impaired who may not have access to bank cards or feel safe using them.

There are those who may not hold bank cards for legal reasons such as those going through bankruptcy proceedings.

The question that follows is it worth it for grossly overpriced, poorly kept beer.

But did you enjoy the game?
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

mol2 wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:22 pm An utter shambles.

Is it legal?

But I’m sure your banter will be missed by fellow supporters
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

mol2 wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:22 pm The question that follows is it worth it for grossly overpriced, poorly kept beer.

Most of us figured this out long ago. I don't understand why anyone persists.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

purely based on watching folk on the terrace, there seemed to be less beer consumed per person than usual.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

LE18 wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:12 am purely based on watching folk on the terrace, there seemed to be less beer consumed per person than usual.
No two pint pots any longer and the two outside kiosks at the Robin Hood stand end closed with about 15-20 minutes to go in the second half leaving the ABC or the kiosks in the RH stand as the only places to return the glasses to.

Using the glasses with the stacking handles is a good thing though. Less soggy cardboard laying around after the game which can't be recycled.

There were plenty of people at the end wanting to return glasses who didn't want to head inside and queue to return them. Hopefully the club and new vendor will take some learnings from the first home game and tweak things accordingly......we can of course hope