cashless madness - or is it??

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: cashless madness - or is it??

Post by sk 88 »

Tiglon wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:17 am Very impressed that some posters have done so much research into the equipment and systems being used by the club and conducted an in depth cost analysis to determine they are using "cheapo kit".

Or was the thought process a bit less logical and a bit more grumpy-old-man-rant?
Well I can only speak for myself but as I have a real job that involves sourcing things like this then yes I do know that these are the cheaper ones with a more limited functionality. These are very good for many circumstances but not good for others. These are not rare things so I would imagine that many posters actually do have first hand knowledge and experience of this.

Still it's easier to blindly accept any old rubbish than engage critically.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
LittleBigG

Re: cashless madness - or is it??

Post by LittleBigG »

sk 88 wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:49 pm
Tiglon wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:17 am Very impressed that some posters have done so much research into the equipment and systems being used by the club and conducted an in depth cost analysis to determine they are using "cheapo kit".

Or was the thought process a bit less logical and a bit more grumpy-old-man-rant?
Well I can only speak for myself but as I have a real job that involves sourcing things like this then yes I do know that these are the cheaper ones with a more limited functionality. These are very good for many circumstances but not good for others. These are not rare things so I would imagine that many posters actually do have first hand knowledge and experience of this.

Still it's easier to blindly accept any old rubbish than engage critically.
Not necessarily with POS terminals (no pun intended...), but I have also got quite a bit of industrial experience with barcode kit/NFC readers in general. Cheapo kit is slow and doesn't have a display that shows you how much they are about to debit your card by... expensive kit is fast and does...

The first time I used the terminal, the handshake between my phone and terminal was done and my phone informed me that payment was accepted but I was then told that payment had not been taken! I very reluctantly tried again (funnily enough, not wanting to be double-charged...) this time holding it against the terminal for a good 5 seconds - it worked second time...

The thing I am most confused with, however, is what happened to all the perfectly decent kit from last year? I used contactless payment every game and never had a single issue - nice and quick! I'm guessing it must have been rented (or the previous catering company owned it?), because if it was not, it is criminal to have replaced it if what I have encountered over the past two games is as good as it is going to get!