cashless madness - or is it??

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

LE18
Super User
Super User

Re: cashless madness - or is it??

Post by LE18 »

Tiglon wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:22 pm Don't understand why anyone in 2019 needs to avoid using a bank card - unless you're evading tax or money laundering.
I'm old, if I use a card I want a receipt, I don't do electronic banking, I suggest you wait till you get old to realise the ease of using cash from your Old Age Pension.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Im 40 and prefer cash too,always have!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

I have the energy of old age and the wisdom of youth but here's what I think.......

Make it easy for the customers to give you their money - or they'll give it to someone else!
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

I'm old and don't do online banking either. I do have a card and use it grudgingly. I used to work in IT and believe it or not I don't think IT systems are infallible. Fraudulent transactions within the EU were last reported at Euro 1.8 billion.
I'm not cynical just experienced
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Plus relying on purely electronic means is a means of controlling individuals, if you are into paranoia. My relative who has been in security services noted that any revolt in the UK would be cut off, quite literally, at the plug, the server, the mast etc., leaving no means to gain food except steal.

I wouldn't worry too much :smt003
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

chewbacca wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:58 am I'm old and don't do online banking either. I do have a card and use it grudgingly. I used to work in IT and believe it or not I don't think IT systems are infallible. Fraudulent transactions within the EU were last reported at Euro 1.8 billion.
That is my concern too. We sent our contactless cards back to the bank when they were sent to us unsolicited. I'm not VERY old, more a product of mileage over years, and am just not convinced the banks have the security sorted yet. I always paid cash at Tigers and am not convinced the new arrangements will be quicker, especially when returning £1 cup deposits to your card. I am willing to give it a go but as Strawclearer said our group will just give our money to someone else if the wait is too long. This reminds me of when I was Treasurer of our Sailing Club a few years ago and needed to pay money into the bank; there was a sign on the door of the bank (and I kid you not ) saying "For the convenience of our customers this bank is now closed on Wednesday afternoons".
As Good As It Gets
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

jgriffin wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:35 am Plus relying on purely electronic means is a means of controlling individuals, if you are into paranoia. My relative who has been in security services noted that any revolt in the UK would be cut off, quite literally, at the plug, the server, the mast etc., leaving no means to gain food except steal.

I wouldn't worry too much :smt003
Ah yes HOWEVER, you have to remember that just because you think someone is out to get you, doesn't mean they're not 😂
As Good As It Gets
dpoc74
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by dpoc74 »

I think I did read that you can buy a pre loaded card but can’t for the life of me find it or know how that’s going to work (can you use cash to buy the card?)
It doesn’t bother me either way but there was one time last season when all the card machines went down and cash was king. Luckily the bath supporting father in law had cash so he paid 😂
JWM
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by JWM »

Many venues now operate a contactless/electronic payment policy ...
except they usually also provide one cash queue at each outlet point.

Contactless/electronic will suit many, and certainly the Club as regards admin.
But not everyone has a card (children have already been mentioned, but this extends to others),
or wants a card; not least contactless isn't foolproof from accidental payments.

Overall this move is a bit metropolitan hipster.

I really think the Club needs to revise its new policy (not the same as backtrack)
ST in new Clubhouse stand ... sadly, my back's no longer up to standing :-(
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

dpoc74 wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:32 pm I think I did read that you can buy a pre loaded card but can’t for the life of me find it or know how that’s going to work (can you use cash to buy the card?)
It doesn’t bother me either way but there was one time last season when all the card machines went down and cash was king. Luckily the bath supporting father in law had cash so he paid 😂
You can get Revolut or Monzo cards (and other app-based banks) that you can load up a certain amount of money onto, this is my plan when taking my brother's teenagers to games in future. Given the club's recent financials it's probably a sensible money saving strategy as dealing with the accounting for large amounts of cash is an expensive process. The real winner in this is my old man, who now has an excuse not to go to the bar himself!
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

LE18 wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:22 pm
Tiglon wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:22 pm Don't understand why anyone in 2019 needs to avoid using a bank card - unless you're evading tax or money laundering.
I'm old, if I use a card I want a receipt, I don't do electronic banking, I suggest you wait till you get old to realise the ease of using cash from your Old Age Pension.
Well get one then, nothing prevents you getting a receipt from a debit card.

On a wider point "Cashless" is not the same as "contactless". If you want to chip and pin you can. If you want a receipt you should be able to get one.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

According to the Mercury the pre loaded cash card was to have been through Cook's Money, I wonder what would have happened to any money loaded on Friday had they gone bust next week?
When we shop we have a choice whether to pay by cash or by card, we also have a choice whether to buy or not, only one of these options will be available at our rugby club.
Truefollower
Tiger Cub

Post by Truefollower »

LE18 maybe you could keep a card in your backpack as that's always safe and never lost :smt003
Mayocaz
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Mayocaz »

I’m not overly keen in this card only aspect. I’m quite old school and my visits to Welford Road are combined with going to several different pubs and finally a restaurant before a taxi home. I’ll generally wake up on a Sunday morning and tentatively count the money I’ve left on the bookcase to see what the previous days damage was. I’m going to be guessing if I’ve got to remember card transactions. Even if I attempt to get receipts I’ll still be wondering if there’s any transactions I’ve not got one for after the ale kicked in.
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!