England team v Tonga

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Re: England team v Tonga

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

why was Slade used as a Full Back? we have other back 3 players in the squad so why select 2 centres on the bench?

If it was just about match time start him Thursday vs USA
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:57 pm why was Slade used as a Full Back? we have other back 3 players in the squad so why select 2 centres on the bench?

Slade has played full back for Exeter and he did ok. The butchered try was solely down to Daley who was much too flat
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Mark62 wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:09 pm
Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:57 pm why was Slade used as a Full Back? we have other back 3 players in the squad so why select 2 centres on the bench?

Slade has played full back for Exeter and he did ok. The butchered try was solely down to Daley who was much too flat
I wasn't being critical of his performance just asking why him over one of the back 3 options we have out there
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

All Tigers’ starters excellent but Genge needs Boris to continue working on his scrummaging: he brought good “go forward “ in the loose. Cole his usual, dependable self. Just hope all our players stay injury free.
Thought Kalamafoni showed what an excellent 6 he is.
Best moment for me, Fordy tackle bringing the huge Tongan prop down who was promptly replaced.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Ian Cant wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:39 pm All Tigers’ starters excellent but Genge needs Boris to continue working on his scrummaging: he brought good “go forward “ in the loose. Cole his usual, dependable self. Just hope all our players stay injury free.
Best moment for me, Fordy tackle bringing the huge Tongan prop down who was promptly replaced.
That prop was struggling to stand up on his own by that time anyway, make him play a full 80 and the last 20 would be so much fun I reckon even I could still play!
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Ian Cant wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:39 pm All Tigers’ starters excellent but Genge needs Boris to continue working on his scrummaging: he brought good “go forward “ in the loose. Cole his usual, dependable self. Just hope all our players stay injury free.
I honestly thought that Ellis was hard done on a couple of those calls, as I’ve said elsewhere Mr.Williams had an excellent game except his reffing of the scrums.
In saying that it’s his decision that counts
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Yes he did Ian,because like I've always said Kala is a blindside all day long!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:34 pm Yes he did Ian,because like I've always said Kala is a blindside all day long!
I thought he was pretty poor for the first 20 minutes and then warmed into the game. Now we have additional carrying options he might be able to switch more to 6 and focus on defence and supporting play. If I was looking at any of the Tongan backrow I'd be looking at their 7 he was everywhere, physical and jumped in the lineout. Not much of a poacher but given his size you could move him to 6.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

No idea, I've just about given up with Eddie 'Trojan Horse' Jones and his bizarre selections, finishers and apprentices. Several new caps just before the RWC including Wille Heinz :smt017

Thought England were poor tonight, lots of errors but they got the points.

I'll tell you what though watching 16 fat guys and 2 little guys and the ref having endless conferences at every scrum is doing my head in already, it's almost as bad at lineouts as well now - just restart the game and get on with it for flips sake?
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Mark62 wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:09 pm That would have been a red for Kalamafoni last season. Brilliant officiating
Sorry but the whole thing was a waste of time and poor reffing. Watson clearly dropped to his knees as the tackle was made, the tackle was legal, no need to review. Rugby will fast become a TMO bore fest with this sort of time wasting.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

G.K wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:43 pm
Mark62 wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:09 pm That would have been a red for Kalamafoni last season. Brilliant officiating
Sorry but the whole thing was a waste of time and poor reffing. Watson clearly dropped to his knees as the tackle was made, the tackle was legal, no need to review. Rugby will fast become a TMO bore fest with this sort of time wasting.
it was an overcorrection from the Aussie player not being sent off
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Sorry but it was 2 inches being off a yellow card possibly worse, whether Watson dipped or not
Needed reviewing it was and the right result came about.
If you’re happy for potential concussion events not to be checked because of the time it takes you’re on your own.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Mark62 wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:08 pm
Sorry but it was 2 inches being off a yellow card possibly worse, whether Watson dipped or not
If you’re happy for potential concussion events not to be checked because of the time it takes you’re on your own.
Watson didn't dip he dropped to both knees, if I was being cynical I would wonder if he was trying to get someone sent off, the player being tackled has a responsibility to keep himself safe as well not just the tackler
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:20 pm

Watson didn't dip he dropped to both knees, if I was being cynical I would wonder if he was trying to get someone sent off, the player being tackled has a responsibility to keep himself safe as well not just the tackler
Fair point but there was the right decision in the end
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:20 pm

I don't think anyone is stupid enough to try and engineer a card by dropping their head onto the shoulder of a 19 stone Tongan coming in at pace. If they are then their career and possibly life span will be very short. It was right for the ref to review and ensure that Watson was ok and not just trying to play on. He was also right to use common sense instead of an overaction to try and rectify for the inaction in an earlier game.