Non-England World cup thread 2019

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: Non-England World cup thread 2019

Post by Scott1 »

Im happy anyway,don't want to tempt fate but I'd much prefer Oz than Wales in the QF. Argentina should be fairly straightforward imo,Tonga were much the better team overall, Argentina trys were by Tonga's mistakes rather than their own play and Tonga should've definitely had a penalty try and Arg had Lavinini sinbinned. England by 11-20. France will be a tougher prospect, unpredictable from half to half but whereas we would want to top the group I think France would be physcologically happy with just qualifying if it comes down to a gunfight. Thoughts?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

It's illegal to lead with the forearm but refs rarely punish it, Mike Williams loved to do it, especially with the massive arm protector.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

JP14 wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:04 pm It's illegal to lead with the forearm but refs rarely punish it, Mike Williams loved to do it, especially with the massive arm protector.
Agreed but try telling the Aussies that, it was all down to Patchells tackling technique according to them
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Mark62 wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:09 pm
JP14 wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:04 pm It's illegal to lead with the forearm but refs rarely punish it, Mike Williams loved to do it, especially with the massive arm protector.
Agreed but try telling the Aussies that, it was all down to Patchells tackling technique according to them
Yup well they're Aussies so :smt003.
Starburst
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Starburst »

When I played I was quite small for a backrow player and always led with my forearm but even back in the 80's & 90's a forearm to the head or neck would have got you sent off. Kerevi was probably luckyit wasn't an inch or two higher, it could have been a straight red. Poor technique or not doesn't entitle you to connect with the head. Though IMO there wasn't anything wrong with the tackle. There seemed to be a tactic to smother the Oz players and keep them up. If Patchel had led with his shoulder at that height fair enough but he didn't.

Cheika is obviously trying to defend his players and probably influence refs later on in the tournament. The Patchel / Kerevi incident was not the same though as the Hodge incident. Hodge led with his shoulder at height into the Fijian and was more similar to the Hooper tackle on Dan Biggar. Which was also an age late and Hooper was very very lucky to not receive at least a yellow. Cheika didn't seem to raise that though. If anyone needs to work on their tackle technique its Australia.

The game itself was great to watch. Two weeks under Stephen Jones and the Welsh backs are looking sharper. North had more ball in one half than he's seen all year under Howley. Australia looked better second half but they won't get as much ball or territory against England as they did against Wales.
Ashurstwoodtiger

Post by Ashurstwoodtiger »

Question was Toomas penalty kick towards the end of the game (When knocked back into the field of play by Welsh 21) in or out of touch? I always though if the ball had crossed the plane of the touchline the ball was out of play. If so how come the throw in was not given to Oz? Noone seemed to comment on this at the time I am confused
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

Law 18 covers it. The ball was not in touch.

https://laws.worldrugby.org/?highlight=Touch&law=18
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

It's like a 6 in cricket. We've saw fielders jump backwards and tap it back infield to either themselves or a team mate and catch it. The ball has to land out of play ,whether that's grass,stands or player catching it with his feet touching the floor. It makes for a brilliant spectacle in both sports at times by it's absolutely farcical imo, if the balls over the line it should be out. Great bit of skill though!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I was spot on about Howley though,it hasn't hurt them a bit in fact very much the opposite!
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:25 pm I was spot on about Howley though,it hasn't hurt them a bit in fact very much the opposite!
Maybe one for the conspiracy theorists.... :smt044
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

fentiger wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:29 pm
Scott1 wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:25 pm I was spot on about Howley though,it hasn't hurt them a bit in fact very much the opposite!
Maybe one for the conspiracy theorists.... :smt044
Im just glad they won today,much prefer playing the Ozzies!
Ashurstwoodtiger

Post by Ashurstwoodtiger »

Grimlish and Scott thanks for the information explains it. I was looking at rugbyrefs.com forum who quoted Law 19. Maybe this is where refs are going wrong should have gone to right site for Laws of the game. Not confused now
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Mark62 wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:13 pm Aussie fans in uproar on Instagram saying that your quite entitled to lead with your forearm of the non ball carrying arm.
No you’re not it’s in the laws of the game.
No wonder there is so much confusion when the 2 hemisphere seem to play under different laws
Don't we often seem to play under different laws in the same hemisphere here!
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

BFG wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:47 pm
Mark62 wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:13 pm Aussie fans in uproar on Instagram saying that your quite entitled to lead with your forearm of the non ball carrying arm.
No you’re not it’s in the laws of the game.
No wonder there is so much confusion when the 2 hemisphere seem to play under different laws
Don't we often seem to play under different laws in the same hemisphere here!
often 2 teams in the same game play under different laws depending on who Sir is
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I thought they had changed the law on this :smt017.