Non-England World cup thread 2019

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Nostradamus

Re: Non-England World cup thread 2019

Post by Nostradamus »

Apparently the SRU is to take legal action against RWC for allowing the game to go ahead :smt002
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

:smt046
Nostradamus wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:51 pm Apparently the SRU is to take legal action against RWC for allowing the game to go ahead :smt002
😂😂🙀
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Selective deleting of posts again I see!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Dr H Flashman MBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dr H Flashman MBE »

I think Japan played with the top 10% of rugby brain. Not the biggest but clearly one of the brightest. No just banging into closed doors. Working a way around it. A credit to rugby.
Just wondering if Nicola sturgeon is going to demand a replay as she isn’t happy with this result?
There is never any points for 2nd place...
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

It was a fantastic performance,Scotland were great in parts too. I really hope teams follow suit and more games end up like this. So much ball in play,so much skill,hardly any kicking, offloads galore. Can't wait for Japan v SA,Japan's fitness levels are ridiculously good! Don't want to tempt fate but their game,along with France v Wales (the basket case that is the French are due a game when everything clicks) are the hardest to call. Us and NZ should progress if we play at our best.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Can’t see Japan beating the Boks.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

They've done it before...
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Excellent Japanese defence coached by Scott Hansen Ex of this parish :smt003
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

sapajo wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:18 pm Excellent Japanese defence coached by Scott Hansen Ex of this parish :smt003
Puts to bed the nonsensical rumours that our downfall was all his and Maugers fault!!!
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

JP14 wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:04 pm Can’t see Japan beating the Boks.
I disagree, the tactics they used against Scotland could work well, keep hold of the ball and make the overgrown monsters in the Boks pack chase them around endlessly until gaps appear. The Scots were knackered at the death today whereas Japan looked like they still had another half hour in them. It won't be easy of course and I wouldn't lay money on them but still, it's going to be a sight to see!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

No one seems to remember the Springbok thumping of the Brave Blossoms in Japan pre-tournament? I know it doesn’t count for much but whilst the affair will be close and fought with passion, I can see South Africa beating le Japonais.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

sapajo wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:18 pm Excellent Japanese defence coached by Scott Hansen Ex of this parish :smt003
Interesting... our defence was shocking under him but could that have been something else? So many what ifs from that era I could a dissertation on it.
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

So, Wales get 4th and NZ show that they still have what it takes.
It's been suggested to me (by Welsh people) that last weeks drubbing of NZ was down to them being somehow under par. I hope that has now been put to bed. What was absolutely clear this morning is that you have to shut them down at source, give them space and you're in for a beating. England's aggressive defence was key in last weeks victory, something Wales could not, or would not, do. A lot has been made of Wales "punching above their weight", in a way I agree. In this comp they were a quarter final team let through to levels beyond them by the brain-dead red card.

In my opinion, obviously.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

loretta wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:40 am So, Wales get 4th and NZ show that they still have what it takes.
It's been suggested to me (by Welsh people) that last weeks drubbing of NZ was down to them being somehow under par. I hope that has now been put to bed. What was absolutely clear this morning is that you have to shut them down at source, give them space and you're in for a beating. England's aggressive defence was key in last weeks victory, something Wales could not, or would not, do. A lot has been made of Wales "punching above their weight", in a way I agree. In this comp they were a quarter final team let through to levels beyond them by the brain-dead red card.

Yes, significant the 22 visits to tries percentage! We mainly kept them out of there which cut them off at source.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

loretta wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:40 am So, Wales get 4th and NZ show that they still have what it takes.

I agree the red card was a real gift for Wales but their tactics have been appalling. Defensive play and good points kickers have been key for them. The inability to use any consistent width in their attacking play lost them the game against Vs SA. SA got away with defending narrow and just edging the arm wrestle. Against AB they were running it from their own 22, just suicide. They approached it like a Baabaas game. Gatland appears a bit overrated and Edwards awesome defence is making him look good. How good Gatland is or isn't will be evidenced when the more attacking Pivac takes over I suppose.